Is my Z finally dying, problems + Cell Standby battery drain?

skrybe

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had an Xperia Z since the first day they were available to buy in Australia (so roughly three years) and for the most part it's been really good. I have however in the last couple weeks started getting a couple minor problems. I've had to pull and reformat the SD card twice. The first time it appeared to be corrupted and the Media service was smashing the battery life (going flat in 4-5 hours). After the reformat that problem went away. With the battery lasting around 5 days (I don't use it a hell of a lot). This first problem made sense - card gets corrupt (somehow) indexing service chews heaps of power struggling to read it.

But then last night the SD card apparently unmounted itself. This time I turned the phone off, pulled the card and checked it in my PC's card reader and it appears fine. No errors, no corrupt files. I tried putting it back in the phone and it won't detect it anymore. It's currently sitting on my desk and the phone is working without the SD card (only had music on it anyway).

At the same time as this SD card problem the battery life was smashed again. However, this time the culprit appears to be Cell Standby, it's used 87% battery in roughly 12 hours (the next worst is wifi at 4% then screen and others at 1%). I'm seeing full signal strength, there are no outages logged against the Vodafone network here and I've been sending and receiving the occasional sms with no issues. Should add, I'm at home where I've lived the whole time I've had this phone and never seen problems with Cell Standby chewing power like this before.

I've also got the usual suspects like always scanning for networks turned off and mobile data turned off. Wifi is on but it's my home network and it's solid.

So, any ideas why Cell Standby would suddenly decide to nuke the battery (first time in 3 years) and why it would coincide with the SD card failing to read in the phone (yet still being fine on the PC)? I'm wondering if this is software related or whether the hardware is finally starting to wear out and have problems. Any thoughts on how I could test? Is there any reason why the loss of the SD Card would cause Cell Standby to chew power?

Sidenote: I can easily replace the phone, I'd been holding off waiting to see what the Xperia X was like. When it was underwhelming I thought I'd wait and see what the Xperia XR (X2 maybe? would be like.

Thanks in advance.

edit: dangit this wasn't sposed to be in the Z5 forum. Sorry.

skrybe

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for moving the post.

Are there no Android tools equivalent to Microsoft's SFC (System File Check) for Windows? I'd rather not roll it back to factory and start over if I can avoid it. Or maybe some sort of hardware diagnostic would be useful too? I'm going to give Dom's Diagnostic a whirl and see if it is a good diagnostic (saw it recommended in another thread) but would appreciate advice as to other useful diagnostics.

skrybe

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Never mind, I've taken the plunge and pre-ordered a Note7. 256MB card as a free bonus was enough to tip me over. Especially when I can get the Note7 at $9/month cheaper than the Xperia X and by all accounts it sounds like a better device.

Sony only has themselves to blame for losing customers. Overpriced phone, underwhelming performance, only available from one carrier (here at least) so no competition. *sigh*

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc