Sony Xperia Z1s on AT&T - anybody tried it yet?

Bkr11

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on AT&T and pretty happy with both it and my Lumia 1020. There are a few times, however, where I wouldn't mind having a second phone running Android (I came from a Droid Razr on Verizon). It would seem the Z1s would be a great option due to phenomenal battery life, good quality camera and waterproof, but obviously it isn't carried by AT&T.

Since I'm not ready to move my entire family from AT&T to T-Mobile for this phone it seems the only way (right now) that I can get a Z1s is to purchase an unlocked T-Mobile variant. Has anybody tried this? I read somewhere as long as the model ends in XXX6 that it should be able to handle the AT&T 4G network. Any insights into when the unlocked version would be available? Any other things I should take into account?

Thanks.

Ukyo

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently on AT&T and pretty happy with both it and my Lumia 1020. There are a few times, however, where I wouldn't mind having a second phone running Android (I came from a Droid Razr on Verizon). It would seem the Z1s would be a great option due to phenomenal battery life, good quality camera and waterproof, but obviously it isn't carried by AT&T.

Since I'm not ready to move my entire family from AT&T to T-Mobile for this phone it seems the only way (right now) that I can get a Z1s is to purchase an unlocked T-Mobile variant. Has anybody tried this? I read somewhere as long as the model ends in XXX6 that it should be able to handle the AT&T 4G network. Any insights into when the unlocked version would be available? Any other things I should take into account?

Thanks.

AFAIK, the Z1s is a Tmo exclusive and made specifically for Tmo and its frequency bands. I'm sure it'll run on ATT but even if it supports some of ATT's LTE bands, depending on your area, those bands may not be in use. I could be wrong though but you can google the specs. I bought the phone outright and using the prepaid 5GB plan. After 40 days and paying at least $50 per their unlocking policy, I plan on unlocking and trying it on ATT. I won't know until then how it'll run on ATT.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This is my plan as well. T-Mobile service is vastly better in nj than it used to be...but I'll put the phone on at&t as soon as I can.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

randaddy#AC

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Z1s from t-mobile contract free on 1/22 and bought an unlock code online. Took a few days to receive the code but all's well on AT&T. LTE works great and I actually get better reception than my G2. Hope that helps!

mookster

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about the AT&T LTE, but when I go into roaming areas, I pick up AT&T networks and things keep chugging along. I do pick up AT&T 4G, which is the HSPA if I remember correctly.

Ukyo

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
So I can buy this phone out right and buy a unlock code and use this phone on att and get LTE with att?

Sounds like it. Just know it's 560 or so and not 528. The 528 amt is with a plan. Not sure how much the unlock code is as that varies greatly depending on where u order it from but if someone said they got it unlocked then u should be able to.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK, the Z1s is a Tmo exclusive and made specifically for Tmo and its frequency bands. I'm sure it'll run on ATT but even if it supports some of ATT's LTE bands, depending on your area, those bands may not be in use. I could be wrong though but you can google the specs. I bought the phone outright and using the prepaid 5GB plan. After 40 days and paying at least $50 per their unlocking policy, I plan on unlocking and trying it on ATT. I won't know until then how it'll run on ATT.
T-Mobile charges $50 to unlock your phone?????????? I thought it was free since you own your phone when you paided it off.

doublestack1

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Z1s from t-mobile contract free on 1/22 and bought an unlock code online. Took a few days to receive the code but all's well on AT&T. LTE works great and I actually get better reception than my G2. Hope that helps!

Are you still seeing LTE on AT&T with your Z1s? I am very interested in doing the unlock thing as well. However I want to be 100% sure the Z1s will work flawlessly on ATT. Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

randaddy#AC

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Are you still seeing LTE on AT&T with your Z1s? I am very interested in doing the unlock thing as well. However I want to be 100% sure the Z1s will work flawlessly on ATT. Thanks.

Yes, seeing the same LTE coverage as my AT&T LG G2. The Z1s uses the same LTE bands as AT&T (4 and 17 I believe) in North America. So you shouldn't have any LTE coverage issues.

randaddy#AC

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
So I can buy this phone out right and buy a unlock code and use this phone on att and get LTE with att?

That's what I did, was gonna get the C6906 which also works with ATT LTE but I was worried about warranty problems since Sony doesn't sell that model here.
All you have to do is add the ATT APN under network settings and you're good to go. LTE, MMS, and voice all works just like any other AT&T device.

T-Mobile charges $50 to unlock your phone?????????? I thought it was free since you own your phone when you paided it off.

T-Mobile will only give you the unlock code for free when you meet these 3 requirements:
Account holder requesting the unlock code has no holds/overdue bills on the account, and has been a customer for at least 40 days.
Phone has been used on a T-mobile network for at least 7 days (doesn't have to consecutive, 1 call a day is sufficient) .
You can provide proof the phone has been paid in full.

Source: My room mate is a T-mobile customer and we tried to get my Z1s unlocked by T-mobile using his sim card.

This was a hassle for me so I paid $40 for the unlock code online. Sony unlock codes are harder to find/generate so it may take up to 5 business days to receive yours from your unlock code vendor of choice.

doublestack1

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
That's what I did, was gonna get the C6906 which also works with ATT LTE but I was worried about warranty problems since Sony doesn't sell that model here.
All you have to do is add the ATT APN under network settings and you're good to go. LTE, MMS, and voice all works just like any other AT&T device.

T-Mobile will only give you the unlock code for free when you meet these 3 requirements:
Account holder requesting the unlock code has no holds/overdue bills on the account, and has been a customer for at least 40 days.
Phone has been used on a T-mobile network for at least 7 days (doesn't have to consecutive, 1 call a day is sufficient) .
You can provide proof the phone has been paid in full.

Source: My room mate is a T-mobile customer and we tried to get my Z1s unlocked by T-mobile using his sim card.

This was a hassle for me so I paid $40 for the unlock code online. Sony unlock codes are harder to find/generate so it may take up to 5 business days to receive yours from your unlock code vendor of choice.

Thank you. Seems like the best method next to ordering the 6906 from Sony.

Bkr11

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for the information randaddy. Hope to pick one up the same way you did shortly. Do you mind letting me know the name of the seller (either post or PM) of the code. I saw one on eBay (UK based I believe) who I was going to go through.

Bkr11

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Sweet - it worked. Unlocked and rocking out on AT&T...with their great new data plan prices to boot. Going in and setting the APN information was key - no joy for data without this. Glad you posted that above because I was at a loss for while. Thanks again randaddy...

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You guys got any speedtest results on AT&T? Fastest I could get on T-Mobile was 24M down and 7M up. On my Ipad mini retina which I use AT&T for I got 66M down and 20M up.

Bkr11

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sony Xperia Z1s on AT&T - anybody tried it yet?

The first settings I used were cingular based and didn't work perfectly...I had intermittent losses of data all day today. About an hour ago I switched to the following and haven't noticed a loss of data. Will report back later if it isn't good.

NAME: ATT Phone
APN: phone
Proxy: (not set)
Port: (not set)
Username: (not set)
Password: (not set)
Server: (not set)
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: none
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota
APN protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified

Bkr11

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded Ookla Speedtest. Got 18.79 down and 7.20 up on AT&T. Never ran it on T-Mobile...if I put my prepaid card back in later I'll try to do that.

Ukyo

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Where did you go to get your unlock code and how fast was it. I am traveling tomorrow, so need a code fast...
Thanks,
nick

Besides getting direct from Tmo, nobody can give u with a day but you can try various unlock sites. One may be able to unlock while you're traveling.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz