Xperia Z1s: screen scratches

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
So to all out there I have been reading about the anti shatter film that if you take it off it voids the warranty. Well it does scratch pretty easy so are you supposed to live with a scratched phone or pull it off and say warranty what warranty lol. Just wondering I did see they make replacement but will that void the warranty still

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: screen scratches

So to all out there I have been reading about the anti shatter film that if you take it off it voids the warranty. Well it does scratch pretty easy so are you supposed to live with a scratched phone or pull it off and say warranty what warranty lol. Just wondering I did see they make replacement but will that void the warranty still

If it's still under warranty, than a replacement should be covered. Are you talking about a replacement from a third party source?

Also, put on a screen protector!

Sent from my One Xl using Tapatalk

duoFurious

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm also disappointed in the plastic film on top of. The phone. Does it do anything for the water proofing at all? And the coating that's on the plastic for finger prints. Can it be applied easily of the film is removed on the glass?

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Sorry but a screen protector on top of a screen protector just doesn't work lol...it's a bummer but no it just do the screen doesn't shatter...

Fatasaurus

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

I think this is silly as well. I wish they would've just included a special set of screen protectors in the box with the phone. That way if something happens to it, say it gets scratched up, you can just replace the screen protector with another one.

surfaday

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site

I put a screen protector on my phone. Otherwise, it did not dook like there was anything else on the screen.

You guys aren't talking about the removeable shipping protector that should be peeled off in the store are you?

ducatti20

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

I had the tmobile crew put a screen protector on mine... Simply because they do a better job than me..

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1s on Tapatalk

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

You guys aren't talking about the removeable shipping protector that should be peeled off in the store are you?

No, Sony installs what they call a "shatter protector" over the screen which some people believe is a screen protector.....it is not. Reports are that this shatter shield scratches very easily.

I had the tmobile crew put a screen protector on mine... Simply because they do a better job than me..

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1s on Tapatalk

I did the same thing and everything is working great (and no bubbles)! :D

techiecappydog

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site

I have a screen protector on my z1s and I have no problem with it. Using a Zagg protector

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Guys I remove my anti shattered screen protector and I'm happy to report the Sony logo is not embedded into it and removing it greatly improves viewing angles and of course you could put your own screen protector once the original one is all scratched up.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Now what happens when you try and do the jump on tmobile what will they say

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Now what happens when you try and do the jump on tmobile what will they say

If you talking about removing the film, I'm pretty sure they won't have a clue weather the film is on or off. Also if you're jumping in 6 months why do you care about the screen scratches anyway?

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Guys I remove my anti shattered screen protector and I'm happy to report the Sony logo is not embedded into it and removing it greatly improves viewing angles and of course you could put your own screen protector once the original one is all scratched up.

Just curious how did you remove it.Is the glass still flush with the phone? Is the phone still waterproof? Although I have no intention of removeing mine just thought I'd ask.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Just curious how did you remove it.Is the glass still flush with the phone? Is the phone still waterproof? Although I have no intention of removeing mine just thought I'd ask.

I removed it by using a razor blade and carefully lifting up the corner then pulled it right off. And yes the glass is still flash with the phone, and I don't see why it wouldn't be waterproof with the film remove.

I also had no intentions of removing into I developed an ugly gash on the center of the screen. I'm also sending this unit back because of the long press issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Good luck with the exchange because you voided your warranty by removing the factory installed shatter protector.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Good luck with the exchange because you voided your warranty by removing the factory installed shatter protector.

:-/ its not a warranty, I'm within my exchange period, but OK... I also keep insurance on my phone so who actually uses sony for warranty?

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

I have been thinking the same thing I'm sure tmobile won't notice or say anything about it.. That's the only downside to this phone but every thing else made it beet out all other devices if the nexus 5 had sd slot or a better camera I woulda gotten it if the gs woulda had an sd card slot I'd have gotten it... So this phone really only has one problem I can definitely deal with it

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I removed it by using a razor blade and carefully lifting up the corner then pulled it right off. And yes the glass is still flash with the phone, and I don't see why it wouldn't be waterproof with the film remove.

I also had no intentions of removing into I developed an ugly gash on the center of the screen. I'm also sending this unit back because of the long press issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ah I understand did some goggling and I see what your saying about the film they use. I see it as no big deal but I would go with one of those glass protectors. Good luck on your exchange I hope they don't notice the branding gone missing. So far I've dropped the phone on the street but no damage to the screen. If I do get a nasty scratch I'd do the same as you and just peel the damn thing off and replace it with a glass one.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Ah I understand did some goggling and I see what your saying about the film they use. I see it as no big deal but I would go with one of those glass protectors. Good luck on your exchange I hope they don't notice the branding gone missing. So far I've dropped the phone on the street but no damage to the screen. If I do get a nasty scratch I'd do the same as you and just peel the damn thing off and replace it with a glass one.

Did you read my post? The film does not have the Sony logo on it its on the glass

Last edited:

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Sony just sent me this

Dear Eric,

Thank you for contacting Sony*Xperia? Online Support.

We apologize for the delay in this response. We understand that you have concerns regarding the Anti-Shatter Film on your phone. Xperia devices normally have a tempered and scratch-resistant display glass.
In addition, the glass often has a shatterproof layer, an anti-shatter film (ASF), over it. The ASF is softer than the display glass, and thus less scratch-resistant.
If the layer is peeled off the display will lose some its shatterproof characteristics.

The purpose of the anti-shatter film (ASF) is to make the display*
withstand being dropped from greater heights. The anti-shatter film has a positive effect on the sensitivity and accuracy of the touch screen. In the unlikely event of the glass cracking, the ASF can protect against cuts.
If a user peels off the ASF, the display loses its anti-shatter characteristics.

The ASF is a part of the device construction and helps to protect the display if the phone, for instance if the phone is dropped. Some consumers remove the ASF, which itself doesn?t void the warranty of the device. However, any physical or cosmetic damages to the display and/or the back cover where the ASF is removed will void the warranty.