Cyanogen and others? Experiences?

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Looking for input with ROM experiences on this phone. I see Cyanogen has a M9 available, anyone tried it or other stablish roms?

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Z2 and HATED it with all the Sony bloat. I unlocked the bootloader, rooted and installed CyanogenMod nightly. ~ Now, I absolutely LOVE the phone.

Thanks, that was more or less the feedback I was looking for.

Still would like to hear from others. Not really sure if I want to take the plunge. I have a nexus 5 with CM now but I am really missing that SD card.

jeromenumbers

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased a Z2 the other day. First thing I plan on doing is installing CM. Thanks for the guide, will use that.

I heard that if you unlock the bootloader you lose DRM keys (or something like that, not really familiar with how this works). Any thoughts?

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Apparently you can back up the DRM keys before you unlock. Just read about that on cyanogenmod forums. Thinking it might be a good idea to do some more research before I take the plunge, never know what other little tidbits like that I missed.

jeromenumbers

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Apparently you can back up the DRM keys before you unlock. Just read about that on cyanogenmod forums. Thinking it might be a good idea to do some more research before I take the plunge, never know what other little tidbits like that I missed.

Thanks! My Z2 should be here by Thursday, please let me know what you find out! I will do some researching myself!

I want to try CM, I just want to be able to restore it 100% stock when it comes time to sell it...

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

Lu99ke

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey - I know its an old post but thought I would add ...

I have been on stock and went to CM ... Back to stock as i found M11 a little buggy and it was missing a few little things...and now back to CM M12...

Few Key "losses" moving away from stock from my experience
- loss of noise cancelling built in...
- loss of stamina mode ( although you can use other apps to do the same thing )
- and this is big one - loss of excellent Sony camera software...(although some people suggesting there is xposed module that gives you this?? ) .... CM camera no where near as good...
- loss of "wake and shoot" capability using the dedicated camera button... CM will wake your device but won't open camera directly bypassing PIN as it does on stock Sony ROM.... Some won't see this as issue but I do..
- loss of DRM (no biggie for me as I keep all content in google ecosystem)

"Pros"
- M12 much more stable than previous iterations...no crashes at all really..
- M12 introduced double tap to wake which was missing before that...which I really like
- comes pre rooted
- no Sony bloatware
- awesome theming options
- stock-like interface ( such as dialler ) much better than Sony one in my opinion..
- you can still install Sony's "smart connect" app which gives you some tasker-like capability to do certain actions based on certain triggers... Eg I turn to silent at 2200 and then turn back to loud at 0630... Its not as comprehensive as tasker but does the basics and the UI is really easy unlike tasker...

All in all the more polished look of CM and the new found stability out weigh the losses of the Sony software... The biggest issue remains camera in my opinion.

Of course there are always 2 sides to every coin and I am sure others will feel differently :)

Cheers

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol