Why is this phone so expensive?!?! Grr!

jkrc717

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Never used any of the Z's before, but always admired how dang perdy they are. Read too many negative things about it to get one. TFT, scratches and cracks easily, the coating, the scratch resistant cover, bad display particularly the viewing angles.. etc..

Now they have perfected this phone and love 5.2inch.. that's perfect, but it's $800-900+ on ebay?! C'mon now! I need this thing to drop to $600 at the most. Get an unlimited everything t-mobile and I am gold!

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what your moaning about. The UK price equivalent in dollars is nearly 1000.

Posted via Android Central App

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It's the going around price for Super Phones these days especially if it's not available in your city.

SHIFT_pro s5

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Couple things. Demand is high because of rave reviews but supply is low because of poor preparation on sonys part.

If this phone was in the USA retail would be no more than $550-600.

2 year pricing probably $199.99 ish

Not sure why anyone would buy this at 900? I want it but its NOT better than the S5 and if it is not by much in any particular category. I got the S5 for free.. I hate to see the resell value 12-18 months from now maybe $205-285 on ebay? When the z3 hits kiss it goodbye. Then again son will just figure out production of the z2 when the z3 is announced haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Couple things. Demand is high because of rave reviews but supply is low because of poor preparation on sonys part.

If this phone was in the USA retail would be no more than $550-600.

2 year pricing probably $199.99 ish

Not sure why anyone would buy this at 900? I want it but its NOT better than the S5 and if it is not by much in any particular category. I got the S5 for free.. I hate to see the resell value 12-18 months from now maybe $205-285 on ebay? When the z3 hits kiss it goodbye. Then again son will just figure out production of the z2 when the z3 is announced haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I believe it is better than the S5... it's the perfect blend between the M8 and S5 imo. You get a premium, high-quality build, a top notch camera, beautiful screen with great colors, waterproofing, the largest screen out of the three...

I sold my Note 3 for $550. I am getting my Z2 for $850. A $300 premium seems well worth it. Especially since I have zero patience. Lol

And hey, I'll be pretty much the only one out there with this phone. The exclusivity will be pretty neat.

Eric Petor

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I believe it is better than the S5... it's the perfect blend between the M8 and S5 imo. You get a premium, high-quality build, a top notch camera, beautiful screen with great colors, waterproofing, the largest screen out of the three...

I sold my Note 3 for $550. I am getting my Z2 for $850. A $300 premium seems well worth it. Especially since I have zero patience. Lol

And hey, I'll be pretty much the only one out there with this phone. The exclusivity will be pretty neat.

Its subjective at best in my opinion. Its like whats better the S5 or the M8 ? These phones are so close in every performance aspect that it doesnt make sense to pay a whole lot more for one over the other. I see them every day, literally. Well, not the Z2. But I recently played with the Z1 and was borderline unimpressed.

The M8 is a very nice built phone, but I will never own a phone that is not flat on the back. Cannot stand the phone rocking side to side and also dont like the way it sits in your hand. Also tempered glass screen protectors do not fit it because of the slight bend in the glass.

The S5 is nice, but I am irritated with samsung for being bland on the update. The nice things like the IP cert for water resistance is cool, but I hate tabs for charging ports. Im currently using the S5 for a couple months, but will be more interested to see the G3 for LG looks like.

As for the Z2 im sure its a nice phone, but I think it will fail in the market place for a couple reasons.

1) There are none for sale basically anywhere, and because of this people interested are saying "oh well" and buying the S5. Its bad enough you have to compete with samsung and apple, but when you cannot even buy a phone sales will fail.

2) No accessories. When no one is selling it, accessory manufactures do not want to invest money into a phone that they will not sell enough to make a profit. Thats why there are no lifeproof cases for LG g2 and Motorola and HTC phones. Only company that will continue to produce for the phone will be Sony.

3) replacement parts are going to be hard to come by. If you have a crack in your screen, I am betting it will not have the availability of glass and digitizers out there to buy. Insurance for all these folks is not available either for the global unlocked versions. Since US carriers do not carry it, they will not sell insurance for it. Not to mention, phones at full cost are often not available for insurance because you did not sign an agreement with it.

4) custom roms and software will be limited as well. Not as many DEVS will get their hands on it and create little to none for it.

I guess what im saying is, people who bought karma fiskers bought them becuase they were "rare and exclusive" then Karma went out of business because all the cars were breaking and the company didnt make any money.

AirSupply

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Its subjective at best in my opinion. Its like whats better the S5 or the M8 ? These phones are so close in every performance aspect that it doesnt make sense to pay a whole lot more for one over the other. I see them every day, literally. Well, not the Z2. But I recently played with the Z1 and was borderline unimpressed.

The M8 is a very nice built phone, but I will never own a phone that is not flat on the back. Cannot stand the phone rocking side to side and also dont like the way it sits in your hand. Also tempered glass screen protectors do not fit it because of the slight bend in the glass.

The S5 is nice, but I am irritated with samsung for being bland on the update. The nice things like the IP cert for water resistance is cool, but I hate tabs for charging ports. Im currently using the S5 for a couple months, but will be more interested to see the G3 for LG looks like.

As for the Z2 im sure its a nice phone, but I think it will fail in the market place for a couple reasons.

1) There are none for sale basically anywhere, and because of this people interested are saying "oh well" and buying the S5. Its bad enough you have to compete with samsung and apple, but when you cannot even buy a phone sales will fail.

2) No accessories. When no one is selling it, accessory manufactures do not want to invest money into a phone that they will not sell enough to make a profit. Thats why there are no lifeproof cases for LG g2 and Motorola and HTC phones. Only company that will continue to produce for the phone will be Sony.

3) replacement parts are going to be hard to come by. If you have a crack in your screen, I am betting it will not have the availability of glass and digitizers out there to buy. Insurance for all these folks is not available either for the global unlocked versions. Since US carriers do not carry it, they will not sell insurance for it. Not to mention, phones at full cost are often not available for insurance because you did not sign an agreement with it.

4) custom roms and software will be limited as well. Not as many DEVS will get their hands on it and create little to none for it.

I guess what im saying is, people who bought karma fiskers bought them becuase they were "rare and exclusive" then Karma went out of business because all the cars were breaking and the company didnt make any money.

1. I agree with you on this point. The lack of supply to the major markets will kill the demand and shorten the life cycle of the phone.

2. I think the Z2 already has plenty of accessories from cases, screen protectors to charging dock. It is not like heaven of accessories like the iPhone, but I found they are more than enough to fit everyone's tastes. Several premium vendors like Spigen and Beyzacase already have products in stock ready to ship.

3. I haven't never had any of my previous phone replaced for parts like screen, so I don't really worry about this concern. However, the glass design of the Z2 may need extra caution for daily use.

4. On XDA, a dev will release a CM ROM for Z2 soon. I believe that the development will become stronger when the phone is available more to the consumers.

Eric Petor

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
1. I agree with you on this point. The lack of supply to the major markets will kill the demand and shorten the life cycle of the phone.

2. I think the Z2 already has plenty of accessories from cases, screen protectors to charging dock. It is not like heaven of accessories like the iPhone, but I found they are more than enough to fit everyone's tastes. Several premium vendors like Spigen and Beyzacase already have products in stock ready to ship.

3. I haven't never had any of my previous phone replaced for parts like screen, so I don't really worry about this concern. However, the glass design of the Z2 may need extra caution for daily use.

4. On XDA, a dev will release a CM ROM for Z2 soon. I believe that the development will become stronger when the phone is available more to the consumers.

3)
But what if you drop it and it shatters, or someone steals it?
You are literally out of luck?

4)
By the time its available to the general public, the Z3 will be (announced) or made and for sale. Sony should have never released the phone at all, its better to have everyone wait with anticipation of something awesome then explain that they rushed the phone and cannot get the parts made for it and are going to be short on supply to the extent of never knowing if it will reach US soil. The phone is also showing signs of overheating in 4K recording mode.

Dont get me wrong, I really want to play with the phone, and I would even consider owning it. I have never owned a sony phone before, but I would consider it if the phone was bad *** enough.

Do you think Verizon, ATT will want to sign a contract with sony on a phone that may or may not bring customers in at all because its spotty on production? I think if they start building the Z3, everyone can enjoy the possibility of use by 2015!

AirSupply

May 6, 2010
Visit site
3)
But what if you drop it and it shatters, or someone steals it?
You are literally out of luck?

4)
By the time its available to the general public, the Z3 will be (announced) or made and for sale. Sony should have never released the phone at all, its better to have everyone wait with anticipation of something awesome then explain that they rushed the phone and cannot get the parts made for it and are going to be short on supply to the extent of never knowing if it will reach US soil. The phone is also showing signs of overheating in 4K recording mode.

Dont get me wrong, I really want to play with the phone, and I would even consider owning it. I have never owned a sony phone before, but I would consider it if the phone was bad *** enough.

Do you think Verizon, ATT will want to sign a contract with sony on a phone that may or may not bring customers in at all because its spotty on production? I think if they start building the Z3, everyone can enjoy the possibility of use by 2015!

- I think the safe bet is buying Squaretrade coverage for the phone if something like that happens. As for the stealing, I think you just lose the phone? I don't see any connection between stealing and parts availability from my view.

- I agree with you that Sony is lacking behind with their distribution and logistic strategy. The delay only hurts the sale as it shortens the life circle of the phone and lure consumers away toward other brands. I am using my Z2 right now and I admit that the phone gets really hot when I record 4K for just over a minute. I hope the next firmware update will address this issue.

I personally prefer the unlocked versions for every phone I have as I hate the bloatwares or bs stuff the carrers put into the phone. The Z2 I got from Taiwan is free from those bloatwares, no defect like gaps or dead pixel. I am a happy camper right now :)