I can't be the only one that is perturbed regarding current flagship phones and their size.
    What exactly are the choices?
    My short list has Sony Z3 Compact and. and. OG Moto X and. and. last years iPhone 5x.
    The iPhones insistence on being used with a Mac leaves it out of my consideration.
    Don't enjoy everything being proprietary.
    At least Android can co-exist with windows...well, as best as Linux can I guess.
    The windows phones are underpowered. That Lumia1020 is a beast which I would love to have ... if it had even a low end modern quad core chip.
    People say the dual core struggles to do anything with that 40MP+ camera. Lag is numbing to most.
    Love the OG Moto X, my XT1053 runs well along with active display, twist to shoot ...Moto just did a good job on it.
    After trying the XT1095 [2014] it highlights the limitations inherent with my OG Moto X. It seems slow in comparison.
    That leaves the Sony Z3 Compact:
    my research points to this being the best option for a reasonable sized phone with good specs.
    Users say it feels great in hand; some reviews snipe at the camera as being ..OK..
    Hey, I can live with an OK camera. One of my X's few limitations is it's camera or so people say.
    Well I ordered the Sony Z3 Compact.
    Hope it works out.
    11-04-2014 03:38 PM
    I had the same issue and stewed on it for months. I settled on the Z3c and I couldn't be happier (sans issues recording video to my sd card). Size, camera, and battery life were key priorities for me. So far, so good.
    oldDummy likes this.
    11-04-2014 07:35 PM
    I had the same issue and stewed on it for months. I settled on the Z3c and I couldn't be happier (sans issues recording video to my sd card). Size, camera, and battery life were key priorities for me. So far, so good.
    Same here. I came from the Lumia Icon so I was camera spoiled. I think the camera on the Z3 Compact is highly underrated. I take at least 10 pictures a day (parents demanding pictures of my 11 month old) and I think they're great. I've had 7 phones since she was born and the Z3C is the best overall phone. I wanted high specs but they could only be found in enormous phones so I got the Note 3. Got tired of the size so I got the M8. Still too big so I got the Icon. Verizon sucks so I went to AT&T with an S5. Even bigger than the Icon but I needed something with resale value until my Z3 Comact came in. Now I have it and my pictures are almost on par with the Icon. I love the battery the most. I charged it 30 hours ago and I have 41% left. The S5 was dead in less than 8.

I miss wireless charging but the magnetic charging cable makes up for it. Being able to bring the phone in the shower to listen to music is great as well.
    11-04-2014 08:22 PM
    Same here. I came from the Lumia Icon so I was camera spoiled. I think the camera on the Z3 Compact is highly underrated. I take at least 10 pictures a day (parents demanding pictures of my 11 month old) and I think they're great. I've had 7 phones since she was born and the Z3C is the best overall phone. I wanted high specs but they could only be found in enormous phones so I got the Note 3. Got tired of the size so I got the M8. Still too big so I got the Icon. Verizon sucks so I went to AT&T with an S5. Even bigger than the Icon but I needed something with resale value until my Z3 Comact came in. Now I have it and my pictures are almost on par with the Icon. I love the battery the most. I charged it 30 hours ago and I have 41% left. The S5 was dead in less than 8.

I miss wireless charging but the magnetic charging cable makes up for it. Being able to bring the phone in the shower to listen to music is great as well.
    I'm came (several phones ago) from the Lumia 1020,so I can relate to the camera comments. As for the battery, you are dead on. It is great. I do find myself using stamina mode now and then as well.

Enjoy the phone...and taking pics of the 11 month old.
    11-04-2014 09:18 PM

As for wireless charging, I do enjoy the magnetic charger.

Good tip regarding listening to music in the shower. That never crossed my mind and I love to listen to podcasts in the morning. Good call.
    11-04-2014 09:20 PM
    I upgraded from the 2013 Moto x to the Sony, and I'm typing this on the Moto. The Sony is faster, but has significantly worse ergonomics.
    huntnyc likes this.
    11-05-2014 06:47 PM
    I upgraded from the 2013 Moto x to the Sony, and I'm typing this on the Moto. The Sony is faster, but has significantly worse ergonomics.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Just got it today.
    Still has that new phone smell...will give it a few days.
    11-05-2014 07:47 PM
    I came from the OG Moto X as well. The Z3c has a FAR SUPERIOR camera in every way, I don't miss twist to open as there is the dedicated camera button either. I'm using Nil's lockscreen app and this isn't as good as Active Notifications but gets the job done, Lollipop has this built into the software. Lolipop will also broaden the ability of apps to access the SDcard again so this will be a big plus for phones with SDcards. I think the Moto X feel in hand is slightly better mostly for me because of the dimple, I am thinking of trying to emulate the dimple on a cheap TPU case I have and if I like it then do this to my Cruzerlite and maybe Ringke Fusion case as well.

I am more than happy with the upgrade from the OG Moto X to the Z3c, I missed wireless charging from my Nexus 4 so glad to have Magnetic charging on this phone.
    huntnyc likes this.
    11-06-2014 10:20 AM
    I'm not surprised to hear this. The 2013 Moto X felt very good in the hand. I came from the HTC One m7 and the Sony is almost too small. Don't get me wrong, the reason I purchase the Z3C is to get back one-handed operations. But typing feels strange. (Perhaps I just need to get used to it as I've only had it one day).

On the positive side, the screen is absolutely fantastic!! I viewed an HD video on YouTube and compared them side-by-side. Despite the 1080p resolution on the m7, the Z3C looks soooo much better!! I could not believe my eyes at the color and sharpness of the 720p resolution on the Z3C. Very impressive!
    huntnyc likes this.
    11-06-2014 01:28 PM
    I'm getting to like the Sony Z3 Compact.
    So of course I get a emailing about the Moto Maxx and how wonderful it is.
    My understanding is it will be available only in Latin America/Mexico starting in Brazil hmm...right now.
    Don't know about the radio bands in that area.
    Detailed specs on that phone are nowhere to be seen.
    Currently, my thoughts are Sony did an excellent job on this phone.
    Looking like it's a keeper.
    11-06-2014 06:09 PM
    I agree. I have very few complaints about this device. (I definitely miss the customization I have with the m7 using ViperOne ROM). But hopefully, Android L and/or the development community will change that!
    11-07-2014 06:52 AM
    I came from the OG Moto X as well. The Z3c has a FAR SUPERIOR camera in every way, I don't miss twist to open as there is the dedicated camera button either. I'm using Nil's lockscreen app and this isn't as good as Active Notifications but gets the job done, Lollipop has this built into the software. Lolipop will also broaden the ability of apps to access the SDcard again so this will be a big plus for phones with SDcards. I think the Moto X feel in hand is slightly better mostly for me because of the dimple, I am thinking of trying to emulate the dimple on a cheap TPU case I have and if I like it then do this to my Cruzerlite and maybe Ringke Fusion case as well.

I am more than happy with the upgrade from the OG Moto X to the Z3c, I missed wireless charging from my Nexus 4 so glad to have Magnetic charging on this phone.
    I barely use the camera, so I have no opinion as to how they compare. I like the magnetic charging on thje Sony. And I like that the battery lasts all day, which really really isn't true of my Moto X. But I like the ergonomics of the Moto X so much better that I'm still using it, and my shiny new phone mostly sits at home. I was really hoping to love this phone, but I don't.

The other thing I don't like about the Sony is that the viewing angle of the screen is narrow. So if I put it flat on the table while I eat breakfast (for instance) it's hard to see clearly. With the Moto, I often lay the phone on the table and browse the internet or play a game while my hands are mostly occupied with my meal.

Now I'm anxious to see which one gets Lollipop first. I am looking forward to Lollipop. It will be more of an upgrade to the Sony, both because some of the features were piloted in the Moto and because the Sony has an SD chip. But I hear that it's just faster and smoother and slicker, and I think it will be a nice upgrade on both phones.
    11-25-2014 09:42 AM
    .... I was really hoping to love this phone, but I don't.
    ...Now I'm anxious to see which one gets Lollipop first. I am looking forward to Lollipop. It will be more of an upgrade to the Sony, both because some of the features were piloted in the Moto and because the Sony has an SD chip. But I hear that it's just faster and smoother and slicker, and I think it will be a nice upgrade on both phones.
    Ha, what a co.ink.a.dink...my XT1053 has been "loaned" out as of yesterday [...long story]. So ordered a DE XT1053 as replacement. Bought it on eBAY for half of the Z3C's price, brand new. While price was the major consideration it's not a bad backup to have, for sure.
    Right now all indications are Lollipop is having some growing pains. Which, while not unexpected, would cause some problems for daily drivers and their owners. I agree that Z3C will benefit more than the MX with that OS update. The OTA could be going out now, who knows?
    11-25-2014 03:17 PM