Tips for what to do about screen crack on Z3C?

acas696

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I had my Xperia Z3C for just over two weeks and was loving it, when unfortunately the screen cracked and stopped responding to touch after I dropped it. I don't have insurance, so I called a local repair shop. They say just the digitizer is faulty, but they'll replace the whole LCD, digitizer, and glass screen for $170 (since the 3 come glued together apparently).

I'm pretty disappointed in how delicate the phone is (I've seen many other threads about screens cracking and ceasing to function after small drops, or even self-cracking for no reason), and in how expensive the replacement parts are compared to other smartphones. I'm hoping to sell it and go back to my old "dumb phone" since money is tight. Would it be possible to sell my Xperia in the aforementioned condition on ebay for about $300 US dlls, or after fixing it for $450?

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I would call Sony customer support and see what they say. At the very least they may charge less for the repair.

Also if you bought it with a credit card you may have limited theft/accident coverage. I know American Express has it for the first 90 days.

Spirk

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Broken phones are a dime a dozen so I highly doubt you'd get $300. Pay the 170 to get it fixed and throw it on eBay. Be honest and say exactly what's been done to it. You'll get good money for it since it's on backorder everywhere.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Any phone can break if it hits right. I DO think though that the glass on the z3 is a bit more thin than others bit I find it to be more responsive to the touch as well. I'll have a small case and tempered glass protector on mine but when home I like to go without any case. The size makes it actually easier to hold and less likely to drop but accidents happen. On a side note I had a Moto x 2013 and it slipped out out my hand while I was running across my room and shattered, stopped working. It broke on a large MIRROR!! LOL. Gorilla glass but anything can happen

Posted via the Android Central App

jhazey

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
My Z3C is currently with Sony Repair. $110 for repair with 90 day warranty and they retain waterproof capabilities. These phones are very difficult to repair by an independent shop. Call Xperia support

Posted via Android Central App

acas696

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
jhazey, is Sony Repair an extended warranty? And was the $110 to replace your screen? I called Xperia Support a while back and was told I have to send them my phone at my expense, and then they'll give me a quote for repair costs. I've been hesitant to do it because I have no idea how much they will charge.

jhazey

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
acas696, not an extended warranty. I shipped them the phone at my expense, they took a look at it and sent me back the quote for $110. I should be getting it back this week, but it has not been a great experience.

They say that it will take up to 14 business days after they receive the phone to get it back to you, which is an absurd amount of time to do a screen repair (I am on day 12). Also, they don't give you any updates on when it will be ready until they are done and send you the tracking number to ship the phone back. I have called a few times to see what is going on and the only thing they can tell me is that it is listed as a "Work in Progress". Pretty frustrating, but don't really have any other options at this point...

ffosse

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I made sure mine was insured - first thing I did after getting it and hearing about the screen cracking possibility.

PMR92

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
My Z3C is currently with Sony Repair. $110 for repair with 90 day warranty and they retain waterproof capabilities. These phones are very difficult to repair by an independent shop. Call Xperia support

Posted via Android Central App

110$ you said i just issus a repair for mine for a hair kine crack screen. And a shattered back. Sony said free of charged as long no physical damaged or water damage. Better then the repair shop who told me the phone too cheap for them to repair i guest

RichardGHawley

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I just upgraded my Galaxy S5 to and S6 and just as with the Sony, everything appears glued together. You literally have to send the whole thing off to get even the battery replaced.

The 'Techies' are obviously fed up with phone owners realising they were being ripped off with extortionate prices and insurance premiums, and replacing components easily and far more cheaply themselves.

Why go to them and pay over £100, $100 or 100 Euros when you could repair it perfectly for a fraction of that price? Not anymore as they've made it as difficult and fiddly as possible. The same with the laptop engineers/manufacturers who have now stopped putting a hard drive access door on the bottom of your laptop. Now you have to pay a couple of hundred pounds in a recession, to do a 5 minute or less job, or risk damaging your equipment beyond repair by ripping the guts out to get to the component you need to change.

Take good care of your phones, get a decent protective case and include the phone on your home contents insurance. Make sure you don't give the techies any opportunity to grab your hard earned money!

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Actually the Z3C isn't that hard to repair on your own (assuming you're not a disaster with DIY projects). This video shows how to replace the screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibb22uofq-c&index=2&list=PLMeQnfxKWSn0NMJFnngMUHtGAFSSR7Qzp

Unfortunately it did nothing for my Z3C who died suddenly and out of nowhere. Thankfully I had ditched it for the G4 a week before and was using it only as an mp3 player. From what've been reading around, it's a motherboard problem, common on Xperias. Well, as I'm within the 2 years of legal warranty Sony is forced to respect in Europe, I'm sending it to Sony for repair/replacement. But one thing is sure...I'm probably not buying an Xperia again, even if they eventually put in decent cameras in them (which is why I switched to the oversized G4).