Adjust white balance settings?

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to amend the white balance settings but can't seem to get the White balance correctly. Don't suppose anyone has managed to set these correctly?

BenL

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
While in Manual mode, you can click on the sliders button at the top of the screen and then select one of the white balance options. The icons (left to right) are sunny, cloudy, fluorescent, incandescent (warm), and auto.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless you know what you're doing, the easiest way to get a pretty good balance is to aim at a matte (not glossy) white card covering at least 80% of the frame, have the light striking the card at about a 30 degree angle to the camera and use auto and set it. That will give you good white balance for that light source.

If you're definitely getting only sunshine, or only pretty thick clouds, you can use those settings to get close. Indoors, fluorescent lights have a very wide color range, so the setting is almost useless, and an incandescent bulb that's not GE Warm White (which is actually pinkish) won't give you the right balance. Manually setting "this is white" with a card will get it right regardless of the light. (I've taken some pretty good pictures, color-balance-wise, manually setting "white" with red or blue lighting. You can see that something's just a bit off, but it doesn't look like it's the lighting.)

When you change the color balance "on the phone", you're changing it in the app. The camera module just sends raw data to the app. If you're in fluorescent lighting, the camera is sending a greenish picture to the app. The app compensates for that with color balance. (Some do it better than others, so experiment with different apps.)

ermitico

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to amend the white balance settings but can't seem to get the White balance correctly. Don't suppose anyone has managed to set these correctly?

I assume you meant the white balance settings for the phone display, not the camera. I've seen it under the display settings too, but not knowing much about it I didn't want to mess with it. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for this I would also appreciate it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz