How can I make use of the non-volume button on the headphones?

Andrew Brehm

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
My phone (Xperia Z3 Compact) came with rather crappy (I am forced to say) headphones which didn't even have volume controls (but did feature an L-shaped plug and differently-long wires for the two earpieces).

I bought new headphones from Samsung which do have volume controls (they work) and a third button which I guess is meant to answer phone calls, hang up, stop music, start music depending on context.

What it does instead is this:

1. The phone ignores the button when the phone is ringing.
2. It does hang up calls as it should.
3. It does not stop music but pressing it three times in a row increases the volume three times and then stops the music.
4. It sometimes starts playing music when pressed a few times while increasing the volume each time it is pressed.

Is there a way to tame the button and make the phone react to the button pressed more sensibly?

Android 5.0

Regards,
Andrew

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately not all headphones are made the same. Wired headsets with controls use different protocols (which is why some phones do work with Apple products and some don't, and even some older Samsung headsets won't work properly with new ones. For example, the S2 headphones work with iOS devices, but the S5 and Note 4's won't). The signal the Samsung headset is sending to your phone isn't the same signal the Z3 understands as Play/Pause/Action.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not really unless you incorporate that into the ROM itself. There might be a 3rd party app that does that, but again, I haven't seen anything like that (all I've seen just customize the volume buttons or physical home buttons on devices that have them, and most of the time they require root for them to work).

In some cases, the middle button can even cause audio signals to get mixed up (try old Nokia headsets and you'll see what I mean hehe).

Andrew Brehm

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I'll try.

I don't get why headphone makers make headphones without paying attention to whether the buttons do anything useful...

mip2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
There Are in sound settings on your , Phone the abillity too chance whitch ear phones you Are using.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andrew Brehm

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I ultiomately found a solution, in a way. My Xperia phone stopped working with headphones and I needed a new phone immediately. I bought a Samsuns S5 Mini and all headphone buttons now work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech