Lollipop 5.1.1 - Z3 -unstoppable voicemail notifications (Literally), what do I do?

penfoldini

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Lolipop 5.1.1 - Z3 -unstoppable voicemail notifications (Literally)

Ok, this is my first post so please be gentle! And apologies if I sound peeved but god damn this one is frustrating :)

I've been trying to stop voicemail notifications from pestering me nearly every 20 minutes for the past 3 months; it's two notification sounds for each bleeding voicemail too - for maximum annoyance I imagine. But they will not stop unless I listen to the messages - I know who the message is from and quite frankly I'll listen to it when I damn well please thank you Sony, if I can be bothered, otherwise I'll delete or not care if it gets wiped automatically. However, with the number you get from random sales people its just freaking annoying (I have Mr number to send these calls to voicemail as an update to android 6 months ago now prevents me from blocking them entirely - thanks google).

I have used solutions found on this forum and they do not work for me for some bizarre reason, this bug seems really stubborn. I'm pretty tech savvy but am not comfortable with rooting my device and I don't really want another app unless its happy to go on to SD, which I'm guessing that sort of app would need to be on the phone which is running low on storage.

I've tried the following:
1. Swipping the notification = zilch, they just stay there
2. Long pressing the notification = zilch
3. Changing my voicemail number in voicemail settings to 000 = Zilch
4. Going in to my app settings and clearing the data for the phone app = temporary respite until the service restarts, or I call someone and the pestering commences
5. looking for any voicemail app in my app list = non-existent (the Xperia one isn't active and cannot be switched on in an attempt to override for some reason)
6. going in to settings and changing the voicemail notification to none = Zilch, yup, the setting is still there now and the notification sound persists regardless!!
7. Clearing the phone cache with ccleaner which I do when anything decides it's going to have a hissy fit = zilch (maybe once or twice a fortnight)
8. Restarting the phone = I'm greeted with a big FU notification sound from my voicemail once I enter my pin! What joy!! (startup sounds are disabled).

I've never had this problem until recently, there's been 2 Xperia software updates since the problem began but the problem literally came out of nowhere, there was no application updates either (I tend to stock them up and do them over wifi). I'm starting to feel like this phone is just mocking me! I'm seriously considering just switching off the voicemail entirely via Vodaphone but I'd rather not do that in case of emergencies from older non mobile friendly relatives (i.e. "what do you mean text you?"). Also it didn't occur after a new app installation either - I would have put 2 and 2 together there.

The only thing I can think of is that there appears to be 3 apps called phone - and one of them never has data to clear, which would explain the double notification sound for each voicemail, as the other two had 76kb and 20 something kb of data. However after googling I found that this was apparently not unusual which I'm suspicious over tbh - just seems weird.

Should I try mucking about with disabling and re-enabling these multiple phone apps? Or is there a simple fix l - please tell me there's a simple fix, I'm gonna develop trichotillomania at this rate, lol.

Many thanks for reading - apologies for ranting but I figured some of you would know my pain.

I've also found this forum helpful when first learning about Android back in 2011 so a big thanks for all the previous help with my Samsung young and my Hauwei y300 (and yes they're both pants), as well as for being a virtual encyclopaedia when becoming familiar with android and its charming, ahem, idiosyncrasies. You folks are pretty awesome :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lolipop 5.1.1 - Z3 -unstoppable voicemail notifications (Literally)

Welcome back! When you have the duplicate notifications, swipe down the notification panel and long-press each notification, then tap App Info. Which app is responsible for each notification?

Go to Settings>Accessibility and see if there is a Notification Reminder option there. I think that's more of a Samsung thing, but maybe Sony does it too.

penfoldini

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

Hi there & thanks for the prompt reaply :)

That's one I haven't tried but unfortunately there isn't any option for notification reminders - worth a try though so thanks. With regards to which app it is, it's definitely the phone app misbehaving. Also its not so much the notification on screen that bugs me, its more the fact that it makes the sound every 20 minutes when active, meaning I either have to clear the phone app of data, put my phone in areoplane mode or leave it silent - the later of those two obviously makes the point of having a phone rather redundant. I really cannot understand why it continues to make the noise when the sound is set to none within voicemail settings - sorry I'm moaning again! lol

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Check your account options on your carrier's website--sometimes there are specific voicemail settings there that aren't on your device.

penfoldini

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

Thanks very much mate, I will take a gander and let you know so can close the thread :)

Posted via the Android Central App

BenL

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

If you don't want any more voicemail notifications, you can do a long press on the notification in the lock screen, then press the info button and toggle "Block" (Never show notifications from this app).