Battery swelling on my Xperia Z3 Compact, what can I do?

A

AC Question

Battery swelling on my xperia z3 compact

The battery in my xperia z3 compact has swelled so much that the back of the phone has loosened on one side exposing the entrails for all to see. Phone still works, BUT! No abnormal usage, phone charged daily, and used in a completely normal Environment-Indoors or in my shirt pocket. Average daily use: 5-10 minutes/day.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Battery swelling on my xperia z3 compact

Welcome to the forums. I'd recommend you to stop using your phone and replace the battery as soon as possible. A swollen battery can be dangerous and ruin your phone for good.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Not only that but it could explode causing serious bodily injury.

DavyPaul

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

surely, if it's under warranty you should take it back to your point of purchase and get it replaced.
Otherwise, get it sent off to sony for a replacement. you may find(if you're lucky!) that it still gets a 'free' repair/replacement.

Nov 21, 2017
Visit site

Hello, i know this is a year old thread but i just want to mention the "solution" i did for the benefit of other people that might run into this. I have been using Z3C for almost 3 years now and about a few months ago i encountered the battery swelling issue.

First i accepted that I will never be using this phone underwater ever; it has too many flaws that makes it not waterproof and besides it's never really worth the risk of breaking your phone for the sake of bragging a few underwater shots.

Now with that out of the way, the solution is simply to PUNCTURE a tiny hole on the covering of the battery to allow the trapped air inside to get out. I have wondered why there was such a covering on the battery that is prone to having air expand inside at high temperatures; and i have concluded that it was because of the supposed waterproofness of the phone. You're not really puncturing the battery itself, but rather the supposed water casing containing the battery. If you have accepted the fact that you will never use this underwater then there is no reason to keep the battery waterproof.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Thanks for the input, but I'd be very leery about puncturing any battery. That could lead to leakage or possibly explosion.

Nov 21, 2017
Visit site
I agree you have to be very careful with puncturing. Before I did this, I was already set on buying a new phone, but its hard to let this one go since there are very few good compact phones out there.

I examined the battery carefully to determine what causes the bulge; (i wouldn't puncture it if there was liquid inside) i confirmed that it's really just air trapped inside the supposed waterproof casing of the battery. The puncture was made on the lower left side; a very tiny hole, just enough for the trapped air to escape.

I'll be sure to update if I encounter any leakage or possibly explosion...

Charles Merfieldc

Feb 2, 2018
Visit site
I have the same issue, in a Xperia Z3 compact the bag around the battery had started filling with air. As per the last post, I made a very small hole in the BAG (not the battery to let the air out. I realise that air being generated inside the bag is probably an omen of the battery on the way out, but, performance is still very good, so I dont want to replace the battery if I dont have to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user