Glass casing concerns

Berry me a G

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Hey folks, I have concerns about the glass backing on the Z3. Im coming from a GS3 and found that I really like the plastic design as I believe it offers better impact protection. To be honest when I think of scratched or shattered phones I think of Iphones or at least thats what im used to seeing cracked.
Im also someone who loves the beauty of this phone and would hate to cover up the "premium"look with a plastic case..which seems like it defeats the purpose.
Basically, does anybody else share these concerns or have any insight into the durability of glass backed phones?
(..and before someone flames me for double posting , yes I have also asked this in the Z3c forums but have not received a response..thought that I would try here as well)
Thanks Peeps!!

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I suppose you know the answer yourself. If you don't want a case, a plastic phone will give you more confidence about damage. I've got the Z3 and have a case for it but I've been known to drop phones ;-) You've always got to weigh up these factors: do you want a nice design and feel or robust plastic that you won't worry about as much. All the flagships are great phones so these small differences are important

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Phones are going to fall, chip, scratch, dent, crack, scuff etc. These things will happen regardless of the material they are made of. You can either use your phone "naked" and have the increased risk of damage or put a case on it and protect it. I love the feel of my M7 (Z3 on the way) but I have it in a rather bulky leather wallet case so that whenever it invariably falls from the couch to my concrete floor the case takes the impact and not my phone.

viking2.0

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Well if you don't cover the back then Any fall on a hard surface will break it. I am like you and didn't want to cover the back so I am using a bumper case purchased on eBay. It is grippy and I love the feel of glass at the back.

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Phones are going to fall, chip, scratch, dent, crack, scuff etc. These things will happen regardless of the material they are made of. You can either use your phone "naked" and have the increased risk of damage or put a case on it and protect it. I love the feel of my M7 (Z3 on the way) but I have it in a rather bulky leather wallet case so that whenever it invariably falls from the couch to my concrete floor the case takes the impact and not my phone.

I've gone the same way; M7 to Z3. Absolutely love it! I fell out of love with my M7. Power button was stiff and awkward to reach and I had purple camera issues. Hope you love your new phone as much as I do.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I had a bumper case on my nexus 4 for a year with no issues. But I wouldn't have done no case. Too risky.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I've gone the same way; M7 to Z3. Absolutely love it! I fell out of love with my M7. Power button was stiff and awkward to reach and I had purple camera issues. Hope you love your new phone as much as I do.

i love my M7 and hate to leave it but the battery life is dismal. If I use my phone for virtually anything texting, internet, social media I have to charge it by midday. Playing games is be totally out of the question. I'm really looking forward to having a phone that I can use and not have to worry about being close to a charger by the afternoon. PS4 remote play here I come!

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I loved my m7 for a good while. But the power button on mine was never right and the camera was terrible in low light. My battery wasn't great either. Tonight I'm sitting on 30% battery after 5 hours screen on time on the z3. It just goes and goes.

Berry me a G

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Gotcha. I was hoping to hear more uplifting stories about how you guys go "naked" as well but sounds like a case or bumper of some sort is needed with a phone like the Z3. Thanks for the input!!

Berry me a G

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
out of curiosity.... would you change your opinion if you had the Z3c? It seems as if it has more of a plastic/ rubber bumper naturally built in.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
No, because the material that the phone is made of makes no difference. Plastic S5s with break, metal M7s will scuff and glass Z3s or Z3Cs will crack. Case or no case is an individual decision not something I base upon the phone I have.

Posted via Android Central App

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah different materials show up wear and tear to different degrees. If its any help I tend to use it naked in the house (mostly carpets) and use a case when I'm out and about.

garyart1

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
No, because the material that the phone is made of makes no difference. Plastic S5s with break, metal M7s will scuff and glass Z3s or Z3Cs will crack. Case or no case is an individual decision not something I base upon the phone I have.

Though plastic phones in general absorb more shock and less of the impact will be transmitted to screen. Worries me a little with aluminum frame and glass panels.

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Though plastic phones in general absorb more shock and less of the impact will be transmitted to screen. Worries me a little with aluminum frame and glass panels.

You're right. It sounds to me like you know all the facts. You just need to decide what's most important to you and what will give you most peace of mind. To be fair most people have metal iphones and don't seem to stress too much. Although I do see a lot of cracked ones.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a Z1s and use a Tech21 Tactical bumper case, very low profile and really doesn't distract from the premium feel of the phone. In fact, it helps with the slippery nature of glass phones.

However, you could "split the difference" and get a clear case, something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Yousave-Acces...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3956172

You would still "see" your Z3 in all its glory and have some protection. I don't know anything about this case so it is NOT a recommendation.

Peter McCain

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Case is a must with this phone unless you are OK with scratches. I had the z2 for awhile and I had to use a screen protector for the back, days after I sold it the new owner got it scratched.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I see people using Samsung phones with cracked screen almost every day in the subway

Posted via the Android Central App