Xperia Z3 camera purple tint and lots of noise - similar to HTC One M7 issue?

hanime

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I am posting this here as well, in addition to other Android forums for awareness.

Hi everyone, let me first introduce you to the infamous HTC One (M7) camera issue with purple tint. This issue arise after using the camera on the phone for some duration, creating excessive heat that ultimately destroys the camera's sensors. When taking photos in mainly dark areas, one would then see purple tint in their photos. But when taking photos in bright daylight, photos are completely normal. This became a hardware defect for many owners of the M7 that HTC refused to fix or recall. A sample of said defect:

3.jpg

I was one of the victims that once owned the HTC One (M7) with the issue, so I am concerned about cameras on any of my new phones. Upon receiving my Experia Z3 earlier this week, I immediately tested the camera in dark areas, even putting my hand over the camera to see if there are any irregularities. I confirmed the normal behavior, which is a dark picture with little to no purple tint. Today, I took photos and found a fun camera app that came with the phone called AR Effects. I spent almost an hour messing around with the app and camera. My girlfriend with another Z3 (white) was doing the same, but only for a few minutes. We then took photos of the same subject to find out that my photos had noise and some purple tint around the border, while hers look perfectly normal. Both using SUPERIOR AUTO with the exact settings under all tab settings:

A comparison of GF's Z3 (top) and mine (bottom) camera on covered face down:
dark.jpg

Screenshot from GF's Z3 with camera covered:
gf.jpg

Screenshot from mine with camera covered:
mine.jpg

A shot in medium lighting from GF's Z3 (full version):
gf2.jpg

Same shot using mine (full version). Notice the noise difference and a hint of purple tint around the borders:
mine2.jpg

Very lowlight shot with GF's Z3 (full version):
gf3.jpg

Same lowlight shot with mine (full version). Notice the drastic noise and purple tint:
mine3.jpg

As a result, you can clearly see that there are more noise and purple tint of some kind in darker environments on my Z3, compared to my GF's. Can we conclude that not all phones are created equal? It is either (1) I have a defective unit, or (2) Xperia Z3 has the same issue as the HTC One (long exposure to heat issue). I am going to try to do an exchange while my phone is still under warranty. But if anybody has the same issue, please share and comment in this thread. One way to test this is to turn on the camera, put it on SUPERIOR AUTO, and cover the camera (or lay it flat) in a dark space.

Let this be a known issue if it becomes a common defect.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up on that issue
You definitely should get that replaced....I just tested mine and it doesn't have the issue (Thanks Goodness...phew)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech