Master Reset with hardware keys

Ebaneeezor

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Havent seen this anywhere here, needed it - so im posting it for easy access for others :)

Master reset with hardware keys

A master reset restores the original factory settings and may delete your personal data on the internal storage, such as downloaded content, ringtones, images, apps, and contacts. It does not delete data stored on the SIM card or SD card.

If the device menus are frozen or unresponsive, you can master reset using hardware keys. To perform a master reset, follow these steps:

1. Back up all data on the internal memory.
  2. Press and hold the Power and Volume Up keys.(Phone on for this step)
  3. Wait for the device to vibrate three times (about 10 seconds).
  4. Release the keys.
  5. Press and hold the Power and Volume down key.
  6. When the Sony screen appears, release the Power key only.
  7. Release the Volume Down key when the System Recovery screen appears.(See pic below post)
  8. Use the Volume Up and Down keys to navigate.
  9. Use the Power key to select Factory reset.
  10. Use the Volume keys to highlight 'Yes,' then press the Power key to confirm.
  11. The device will reboot and begin resetting.
  12. Once the device has been reset, it will power on.

Xperia Z3 Master Reset ScreenShot.jpg

Another option if the keys do not work, as JBeef discovered. Here is his fix

The screen of my phone froze today. I couldn't even turn the phone off to reset it (holding power button down does not seem to work). In case anyone is in a similar position the reset button is under the sim card flap and needs to be held down for at least 5 seconds. I was freaking out until I stumbled across that.
Z3 reset button.jpg

Last edited:

Lfsnz67

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
This is not working with the Xperia Z3 i just bought from an Amazon seller. Its pin locked and the hardware reset button combination above is not working.

Anybody have another idea?

7plymaple

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
This method does not work on the Z3

Don't work just smash it sony sucks

Posted via the Android Central App sony xperia z3

Totally agree. Other than the battery life and not having to worry about getting it wet. This phone.doesn't do anything as well as a samsung.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2