Has anyone experienced the Xperia Z3 bending?

Derek McGuff

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Xperia Z3 Bent

I am gutted. I love my new Z3 since my move from iPhone.

I use a casemate tough case to protect my handset.

I'm too old to wear skinny jeans and I never carry my phone in my back pocket, there's been no misuse, no drops or accidents, yet my phone has mysteriously developed a bend down one side.

I've heard a little about overheating being a potential cause and I did experience my phone overheating whilst using the camera app on holiday but never noticed any warping until my daughter pointed it out to me (I thought she was winding me up!).

I'm arranging to have the handset shipped to Sony for evaluation but I'm worried about how they'll view this re the warranty.

Anyone else heard of this issue? Any advice would be welcome also.

Regards.

DSC_0011.jpgDSC_0005.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0007.jpgDSC_0008.jpgDSC_0010.jpg

Last edited:

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Xperia Z3 Bent

I've seen a previous post on reddit or XDA. Sony didn't handle this well. I think they blamed the user. I'm a bit worried, I just got my z3, love it, waiting to actually use it until the tough case arrives. Sounds like the tough case won't prevent this though based on your experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

build quality is poor, mine fell a short distance and smashed like it had been hit with a brick. Sony have stated that they do not cover ANY physical damage with their warranty. Over £100 to repair and a lengthy wait for the phone to come back. AVOID!

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Holey moley that looks like a banana. How the hell does that even happen? Good luck getting it fixed. To be honest I love my z3 so much I'd keep it if it did end up concave.

compton845

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

I bent mine and T-mobile gave me a warranty replacement for free because I had the phone for 26 days.

Posted via the Android Central App

Berry me a G

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site

Holy!... that phone has more rocker than my skis! Im curious to hear what sony says about it.Please keep us posted. Seems odd that kind of physical damage could occur without you knowing what caused it

Derek McGuff

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Here's a quick update.

Sony UK say that this 'damage' is not covered by warranty. They charged me just over £137 to repair the phone.

They use an 'approved repairer' for this type of repair and they as a company are shocking. No communication, no progress and no repair.

They quote the damage as a damaged screen (although the screen and indeed the whole handset worked as expected), after chasing they tell me they need a new part from Sony and it's out of stock at the moment with no restock date available.

I sent the phone off on 2nd December and at my request had it returned to me on 23rd December in the same condition. I've chased Sony UK (who took my payment) for a refund and have had to go through hoops to get this arranged, I still haven't had it.

Having ditched Apple and moved to Android for both my phone and tablet, I was initially pleased with everything I encountered, however, I have to say that Sony's handling of my situation and the totally useless after sales service I've received has left a bitter taste. I've since seen others with the same type of bending experience and quite how a £500 handset is built not to withstand being carried in a front trouser pocket without becoming misshapen still has me scratching my head. This handset and the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet that I purchased off the back of it will be the last Sony product I buy.

Thanks for your replies etc...
Derek

Brady Vong

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Hey mate
I have the same problem as well and it got sent to Sony and pretty was told that I had cause damaged, I was not happy when I was told this..
mine is actually worst, the aluminium edge has split slightly near the volume button, I noticed mine got very hot during charging and when I was using the flash light..

Like you I very carful with my phones and there is not a mark on it. Has protective cover from day one.

So disappointed with Sony at the moment..

Good luck and regards

sko580

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm just noticing it now. When this thread was initially started, I didn't see any bending. Today, when I lay the phone on a flat surface without a case, the opposite corners are slightly raised, as if the phone is twisted.

Now you got me thinking.

htc0076969

May 2, 2015
Visit site

Give it time you will Mr. Perfect you officially coursed yourself ha ha!!

Posted via the Android Central App xperia z3

TheGroveUK

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
My screen started yellowing after 3 months, done a lot of 4k recording so assumed it was from the heat as the phone got crazy hot.

Yellowing eventually got bad enough that I decided to send the phone in, got a quote of £120 and a rude response from chat saying it is because I bent the phone....

Picture below from support

Z3.jpg

Got told that I was the cause of the damage and they are not going to change their minds, must either pay to repair or pay to ship back.

Just don't understand, phone has never been dropped and really well looked after. School fees I guess and that is the last Sony product I buy.

jeffx

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Z3 less than a year old, always well cared for, has a definite bend in the middle. I suspect overheating during camera use or from daily charging on the Sony Magnetic charging dock.

mohdamin78

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Z3 less than a year old, always well cared for, has a definite bend in the middle. I suspect overheating during camera use or from daily charging on the Sony Magnetic charging dock.
Thanks for the feedback, now I will give Z3 a miss.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Wish i hadnt seen this post now, Just bought my new Z3 yesterday...

Actually, what regions are you folks in... I do know that in the US, AT&T, Vorizon and Sprint.. make "Alterations" to their phones hardware.. Antennas, NFC chips etc, to suit their software needs, so .. i wonder if that could be it...

In in UK, D6603, flashed from O2 to Unbranded

Robbierussell123

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I honestly think iv been conded by sony i sent my phone in over a week ago has i couldnt hang my phone up after making a call i phone sony and there said send it back i to be fixed iv phoned them yesterday to ask what was happening with my hand set they said iv got £120
to pay has its bent the phone has allway been in a cover how can a phone bend and i dont believe it has any one else had same problem now they said even to get my phone bk would cost me £22 im so fuming has iv got known way of profit but my phone was like brand new never was it bent think this is just a way to rip people of they never said i would be charged has its still under warranty

Big Al1

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I have had the exact same thing, with my Z3 (so looks like it isn't exactly just me, it is a design flaw), only my screen shattered for no good reason, I got a new screen and within days it shattered again, that was when I noticed the bend in the chassis, and I was given the brush off by Sony. So if you don't want problems with your Z3, my advice is not to buy one.

Sony's poor customer service will not go unrewarded, as the more techy person among my friends I have ensured that at least 5 people have not bought a Sony and I'm sure I've told a few hundred more in my networks about my experiences with a Sony. If Sony's policy of blaming the customer changes, please let me know, I liked it, but the shoddy customer service after shelling out hundreds of pounds leaves a long sour taste in the mouth, I'm not keen to repeat.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007