Z3 arriving tomorrow...

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
..and I was wondering if there was any PC software, similar to Kies, Nokia Suite and Windows Phone etc that can be used to manage files on the device?

Also, how do I go about rooting the device? Is there anywhere in particular to download ROMs and I don't suppose there's a guide to follow on making my own custom rom please? I used to make CFWs on Symbian but have no experience on Android.

Finally, I don't suppose anyone knows if the Z3 is fully compatible with the Garmin Connect mobile app please? It's not listed on the officially supported devices, although the Z2 is. I'll be just a tad gutted if I've left a Garmin unsupported platform in WP only to choose an unsupported Android device :)

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I think there is software (it asks to install when I connect to a pc) but haven't tried it. Or needed to (drag and drop has been fine so far). Not sure about rooting although I believe unlocking the boot loader impacts camera performance so there hasn't been much rooting of Z3s going on so far (there's currently a bounty for anyone who can root the z3 with a locked boot loader because of this).

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I think there is software (it asks to install when I connect to a pc) but haven't tried it. Or needed to (drag and drop has been fine so far). Not sure about rooting although I believe unlocking the boot loader impacts camera performance so there hasn't been much rooting of Z3s going on so far (there's currently a bounty for anyone who can root the z3 with a locked boot loader because of this).

Bounty eh? I thought cash would be the best incentive but the dark chocolate ones are very tasty:
bounty.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully all goes well when it arrives. Looks like a great phone.

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Haha it is indeed cash. Think it's $2000 or something. But think of all the Bounty bars you could buy with that type of money 😉
On a serious not I love my Z3. If you like yours even half as much as I like mine you're in for a treat.

Ebaneeezor

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
..and I was wondering if there was any PC software, similar to Kies, Nokia Suite and Windows Phone etc that can be used to manage files on the device?

Also, how do I go about rooting the device? Is there anywhere in particular to download ROMs and I don't suppose there's a guide to follow on making my own custom rom please? I used to make CFWs on Symbian but have no experience on Android.

Finally, I don't suppose anyone knows if the Z3 is fully compatible with the Garmin Connect mobile app please? It's not listed on the officially supported devices, although the Z2 is. I'll be just a tad gutted if I've left a Garmin unsupported platform in WP only to choose an unsupported Android device :)

PC Companion – Sony Xperia™ support (United States)

No root yet, and not expected anytime soon :(

Sony has a deal with Garmin
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...navigator_select_sony_eu&hl=en&token=bVy0QcMx

Hope this helps :) enjoy the phone!!

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Haha it is indeed cash. Think it's $2000 or something. But think of all the Bounty bars you could buy with that type of money ??????
On a serious not I love my Z3. If you like yours even half as much as I like mine you're in for a treat.

It's a superb phone. The only downsides so far is the poor colour reproduction on the camera. It seemed to render reds as washed out pinks but that was only after testing on a plant indoors. Will test it a little more thoroughly today.

Also, it's not compatible with the Garmin Connect Mobile app. My Garmin Edge pairs with the phone via Bluetooth but the app doesn't see the pairing. I've tried unpairing/repairing a few times, uninstalling and reinstalling the app plus also a factory reset but no joy. I spoke to Garmin support who told me it should be fixed with an update to the app but were unable to tell me when that might happen. The phone meets the requirements so I hope it's just a case of updating the app that will fix it. I initially thought about returning the Z3 and swap it for a Galaxy S5 which is officially supported, but I'm not overly keen on that phone. Have decided to stick with the Z3 as I won't be doing much riding over winter, so hopefully things will be improved by the time the weather warms up.

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Haha it is indeed cash. Think it's $2000 or something. But think of all the Bounty bars you could buy with that type of money 😉

It's a superb phone. The only downsides so far is the poor colour reproduction on the camera. It seemed to render reds as washed out pinks but that was only after testing on a plant indoors. Will test it a little more thoroughly today.

Also, it's not compatible with the Garmin Connect Mobile app. My Garmin Edge pairs with the phone via Bluetooth but the app doesn't see the pairing. I've tried unpairing/repairing a few times, uninstalling and reinstalling the app plus also a factory reset but no joy. I spoke to Garmin support who told me it should be fixed with an update to the app but were unable to tell me when that might happen. The phone meets the requirements so I hope it's just a case of updating the app that will fix it. I initially thought about returning the Z3 and swap it for a Galaxy S5 which is officially supported, but I'm not overly keen on that phone. Have decided to stick with the Z3 as I won't be doing much riding over winter, so hopefully things will be improved by the time the weather warms up.

carbon337

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi, new here and moving to a Z3 myself next week. Currently on an ip5

Are you pairing with a Edge 510/810 - i use a edge 500 so its not something i anticipate using as a function but may do if i move to a 510 soon. What does pairing to an edge 510/810 actually do? Just autosave activites straight into Garmin Connect without having to get the old USB cable out?

Have you tried pairing ANT+ devices to your Z3? I would like to have this as a backup to my edge 500 - so use my ant+ Quark powermeter with the Garmin connect app on the z3 if my edge 500 ever dies (again).

Thanks

Carl

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, new here and moving to a Z3 myself next week. Currently on an ip5

Are you pairing with a Edge 510/810 - i use a edge 500 so its not something i anticipate using as a function but may do if i move to a 510 soon. What does pairing to an edge 510/810 actually do? Just autosave activites straight into Garmin Connect without having to get the old USB cable out?

Have you tried pairing ANT+ devices to your Z3? I would like to have this as a backup to my edge 500 - so use my ant+ Quark powermeter with the Garmin connect app on the z3 if my edge 500 ever dies (again).

Thanks

Carl

I'm using the Edge 1000. I'm not sure on what features are available on the 510/810 but on the 1000, users (with compatible phones) should be able to receive missed call and sms notifications on their Garmin devices. Plus there's live tracking with friends via email and also the updating of routes direct from the phone to the Garmin device via Bluetooth. Some very handy features there.

The only ANT+ sensors I have are the heart rate monitor, speed and cadence sensors but I don't think these can be paired with the Z3 but I may be wrong.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Did you ever sort this? I ordered a Z3 and am waiting for it to ship and I also use an Edge 1000.. I'll check once it arrives and for good measure, I also have a Magellan Cyclo 505 I can test it out with. The Cyclo also notifies you of calls and texts..

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever sort this? I ordered a Z3 and am waiting for it to ship and I also use an Edge 1000.. I'll check once it arrives and for good measure, I also have a Magellan Cyclo 505 I can test it out with. The Cyclo also notifies you of calls and texts..

Nope.

The Edge 1000 pairs with the Z3 no probs but the GMC app just doesn't see it. I tried unpairing/repairing, restarting the Edge and Phone, removing/adding the Edge to my Garmin account and I performed a hard reset on the Z3 too. Only thing I didn't do was full reset the Edge but I wasn't confident that would fix it after speaking to Garmin who told me is should be sorted with an app update but were unable to tell me when that would happen.

I decided to swap the Z3 for the Note 4 which has the same problem. Just gonna have to wait for Garmin to fix it.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Nope.

The Edge 1000 pairs with the Z3 no probs but the GMC app just doesn't see it. I tried unpairing/repairing, restarting the Edge and Phone, removing/adding the Edge to my Garmin account and I performed a hard reset on the Z3 too. Only thing I didn't do was full reset the Edge but I wasn't confident that would fix it after speaking to Garmin who told me is should be sorted with an app update but were unable to tell me when that would happen.

I decided to swap the Z3 for the Note 4 which has the same problem. Just gonna have to wait for Garmin to fix it.

Which device you think is better? I currently own a note 4 since a week ( before an iPhone 6 for a month etc. ) I'm actually kinda loving these z3 colors, but I'm not sure if it's a good replacement for my note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Which device you think is better? I currently own a note 4 since a week ( before an iPhone 6 for a month etc. ) I'm actually kinda loving these z3 colors, but I'm not sure if it's a good replacement for my note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App

Hands down it's the Note 4. A truly fantastic and feature rich smartphone. Larger internal memory, S Pen, multi window, S Health features/sensors, fingerprint sensor, massive resolution, infrared, fast charging etc.

Was completely underwhelmed by the camera on the Z3 but results have been impressive on the Note 4 so far.

I did prefer the Z3's UI though. The IP rating may be a pull for some but it was fairly low down on the list for me..still it is impressive all the same. Z3 also wins in the battery life stakes...comfortably too.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hands down it's the Note 4. A truly fantastic and feature rich smartphone. Larger internal memory, S Pen, multi window, S Health features/sensors, fingerprint sensor, massive resolution, infrared, fast charging etc.

Was completely underwhelmed by the camera on the Z3 but results have been impressive on the Note 4 so far.

I did prefer the Z3's UI though. The IP rating may be a pull for some but it was fairly low down on the list for me..still it is impressive all the same. Z3 also wins in the battery life stakes...comfortably too.

I had the Note 4 but returned it after 10 days.. Loved the screen and the camera was good. Also really liked the multi-tasking but it's a pretty big device and has TW.. Along with TW the AT&T version was loaded and I mean loaded to the hilt with bloat..

The fingerprint sensor was finicky.. I gave up on it after a day and just turned it off.. Fast charging was nice but I didn't really need it as the phone lasted me all day and I'd charge at night.

Overall it was a nice device, just not for me.