Z3 Stuck After Failed Sotware Update

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I today got a replacement Z3 after a damaged screen issue.

Having started the phone, and got everything going and set up after an hour or so, I got a notification that I had a software update waiting, only available via PC.I plugged in and started the download via the Sony software.

However, I got a notification that the update had failed and to try again. All the drivers were installed correctly beforehand.

Now the Z3 only comes on to say the software update failed and to plug into a PC to try again, but, despite trying all the resets (volume up/down/powerkey) on numerous occasions, and unplugging and re-plugging into the USB, and charging on the stock charger for hours, nothing. I just have a flashing red light when I plug it in. Nothing seems to work...

I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do next, so any advice appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you got the phone from your carrier, bring it into them, tell them what happened and ask them to reflash it. If not, contact Sony for another replacement. (The Android update method leaves a lot [just about everything] to be desired. The more we hit the carriers and manufacturers with failed updates - which are VERY common - the sooner they may all start hammering Google to learn some 1988 technology that allows a failed update to not cause the device to fail. If we could do it back then - and I know we could because I wrote it back then - we can do it now.)

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I managed to solve this. I use a few different charges knocking around the home or at work. But I did Google, and few posts said to use the stock charger for a couple of hours and retry. It worked.