Z3 vs Z3

Azmah

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I want to get a Z3 thats for sure. But I don't know the difference between the Tmobile Z3 vs the one on Sonys website.

I couldn't really find an answer so I'm asking here because I think you all would have more knowledge on this than me.
My dad bought his Z3 from Tmobile and I checked the model number and it says D6616, but I don't know what it is for Sonys Z3.

Basically I'm considering getting it from Sony because I don't want a Black Z3, but I don't want to be giving up anything by getting the Sony one: like the 4g LTE for example.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I want to get a Z3 thats for sure. But I don't know the difference between the Tmobile Z3 vs the one on Sonys website.

I couldn't really find an answer so I'm asking here because I think you all would have more knowledge on this than me.
My dad bought his Z3 from Tmobile and I checked the model number and it says D6616, but I don't know what it is for Sonys Z3.

Basically I'm considering getting it from Sony because I don't want a Black Z3, but I don't want to be giving up anything by getting the Sony one: like the 4g LTE for example.

From what I can tell the unlocked version will work on AT&T and T-Mobile (along with other GSM carriers) whereas the T-Mobile version will not get LTE on AT&T.

The T-Mobile version is 32GB and the unlocked is 16GB. Not really an issue since you have SD card slot. Also the unlocked version will not have the T-Mobile branding on the back and it won't have the T-Mobile pre-installed apps. Unlocked version generally have better resale value as well.

The unlocked version will work on T-Mobile and will get LTE. Another bonus of the unlocked version is like you said, color options..

If you are paying full price you might as well get the unlocked version.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
From what I can tell the unlocked version will work on AT&T and T-Mobile (along with other GSM carriers) whereas the T-Mobile version will not get LTE on AT&T.

The T-Mobile version is 32GB and the unlocked is 16GB. Not really an issue since you have SD card slot. Also the unlocked version will not have the T-Mobile branding on the back and it won't have the T-Mobile pre-installed apps. Unlocked version generally have better resale value as well.

The unlocked version will work on T-Mobile and will get LTE. Another bonus of the unlocked version is like you said, color options..

If you are paying full price you might as well get the unlocked version.

To add to this:

1. The T-Mobile version has band 12 support (better indoor coverage). The unlocked version does not. Band 12 support is starting to be implemented, its not widespread yet
2. VOLTE support on the T-Mobile version (I turn this off because I've heard issues with MMS)
3. WiFi calling on the T-Mobile version ( I turned this off because of issues I've heard with group texting.)
4. The unlocked version will most likely receive updates faster than the T-Mobile version.

Posted via the Android Central App

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Actually 16 vs 32gb is an issue for some since you can't move apps onto SD. So, if you use a lot of apps or like to play games, 16gb can be a challenge.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually 16 vs 32gb is an issue for some since you can't move apps onto SD. So, if you use a lot of apps or like to play games, 16gb can be a challenge.

Plus, the pricing is the same I believe. You are not paying extra to get the 32gb.

One other thing, you can get the extended warranty for $80 through Sony(the unlocked version). I think it covers the device for 2 years and covers one accident damage claim with no deductible. Wish I could get that.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
One other thing, you can get the extended warranty for $80 through Sony(the unlocked version). I think it covers the device for 2 years and covers one accident damage claim with no deductible. Wish I could get that.

I grabbed that up as well as it's a great deal for $80. My Silver Green is scheduled to ship tomorrow and I chose 2 day shipping so I should have it by Thursday! :)

My total for the phone, accidental damage coverage, tax and shipping was $783.. I am not on T-Mobile but if I were, I'd still choose the unlocked version because there is no carrier branding on the back, no carrier crapware installed and you have color options. You will also get updates MUCH faster direct from Sony and won't have to wait on T-Mobile..

My .02

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I grabbed that up as well as it's a great deal for $80. My Silver Green is scheduled to ship tomorrow and I chose 2 day shipping so I should have it by Thursday! :)

My total for the phone, accidental damage coverage, tax and shipping was $783.. I am not on T-Mobile but if I were, I'd still choose the unlocked version because there is no carrier branding on the back, no carrier crapware installed and you have color options. You will also get updates MUCH faster direct from Sony and won't have to wait on T-Mobile..

My .02

I agree, I was able to finance the phone so it was a better situation for me.

Also, it looks like you can purchase the warranty by itself from Sony, even if you bought it from elsewhere(tmobile). Id check with Sony customer service to verify that they will cover the phone even though it wasn't purchased from Sony directly.

Azmah

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I've decided I'm going to buy the Tmobile version because its 32gb. Although I really want to get the copper version, but the phone will be in a case so won't get to see that beautiful color anyway!

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I've decided I'm going to buy the Tmobile version because its 32gb. Although I really want to get the copper version, but the phone will be in a case so won't get to see that beautiful color anyway!

Awesome! Are you getting from T-Mobile or Sony?

I have a 64GB SD card that I will be slapping in mine and I have a TON of cloud storage so I'm not at all worried about onboard storage.. You'd need several hundred apps to max it out I'd think..