Moved over to Z3 from iPhone 5 - some slight things annoying me...

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Ive managed to somehow break the trend and move away for iPhone 6. It was hard but the iphone 6 felt too light for me, like a toy. Anyway Ive got the Z3 (normal version) and a few things I've noticed have slightly annoyed me cause I don't know why or what i can do to sort it out..

1:- Is there a way to decrease the default contact image on the contacts/phonebook app. I dont use pictures for my contacts and on the Z3 i just see a grey blank image which it's massive. I've noticed on the sms app, I can see this default contact image there also....can this be removed from the messaging thread?

2:- I've got some calendar events in the stock calendar app i noticed one event due yestersday - i wasn't able to see this on the lock or notifcation screen, unlike my iPhone. I could only see the event actually within the calendar app.

3:- I noticed the stock calculator doesn't have a percentage sign? Is this right?

4:- Any way to reduce the size of the icons on the homescreen?

5:- Ive noticed there are loads of apps i dont actually need (think these are called bloatware)..is there a list of the ones i can safely remove?

thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For 4,you can use a third party launcher like Nova.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
For 2, are you referring to viewing calendar via notification centre on the lockscreen? If so, I really missed that too till I realised you could put a calendar widget on the lock screen and found this far better

Posted via the Android Central App

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Ah yeah thats the one, thanks didnt know that can be added

Try and stick with it, it's hard for a couple of weeks but the urge to go back to ios does fade. I still love iPhones but I'm really enjoying the flexibility of android more for now

Posted via the Android Central App

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
1:- Is there a way to decrease the default contact image on the contacts/phonebook app. I dont use pictures for my contacts and on the Z3 i just see a grey blank image which it's massive. I've noticed on the sms app, I can see this default contact image there also....can this be removed from the messaging thread?

2:- I've got some calendar events in the stock calendar app i noticed one event due yestersday - i wasn't able to see this on the lock or notifcation screen, unlike my iPhone. I could only see the event actually within the calendar app.

3:- I noticed the stock calculator doesn't have a percentage sign? Is this right?

4:- Any way to reduce the size of the icons on the homescreen?

5:- Ive noticed there are loads of apps i dont actually need (think these are called bloatware)..is there a list of the ones i can safely remove?

thanks!

1. Try a different contacts app. There are plenty in the Play Store
2. As stated, put a calendar widget on the lock screen
3. Download a different calculator from the Play Store
4. Use a different launcher
5. Here is a list (screenshots) of everything that I have disabled

http://forums.androidcentral.com/so...ce-questions-about-xperia-z3.html#post4191429

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Cheers pal thanks for the tips much appreciated - with great consideration ive decided im going to go back to the iphone 6 :(, was too much tings which i was comfortable with on the iphone that i missed with it.

However i think ill still come back to this phone soon hopefully

BenL

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
For 2, are you referring to viewing calendar via notification centre on the lockscreen? If so, I really missed that too till I realised you could put a calendar widget on the lock screen and found this far better

Which Calendar Widget are you using for the lock screen?

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Cheers pal thanks for the tips much appreciated - with great consideration ive decided im going to go back to the iphone 6 :(, was too much tings which i was comfortable with on the iphone that i missed with it.

However i think ill still come back to this phone soon hopefully

Keep in mind, pretty much anything you don't like on Android can be changed. It's modular, you can swap out lock screens, keyboards, launchers (homescreens and app drawers) widgets, stock apps, dialers, the contacts app, the calendar...everything. Stick with it and you'll eventually find something you like and will stick with it.

I generally do the following replacements:

Launcher - Nova Launcher - gives meadjustable grid size, iOS-style unread counts
Calendar - aCalendar - It's got the best week view of any calendar out there IMHO
Contacts - I actually leave this as the default, but always grab the Contacts+ widget for speed dial
Calculator - Office Calculator Pro, gives me tape calc/history while still keeping the buttons big enough to use easily
Music player - Google Play Music, this is Google's Default, but I prefer it over the branded defaults anyway. Enough that I put my music into their cloud.
Email client - Nine Folders. I like this better than any of the other email apps, it containerizes security and keeps the Exchange admins from "accidentally" wiping my phone.

I'm to the point where it almost doesn't matter what brand Android phone I get, it's going to look just like my last phone when I'm done anyway. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad