Z3 is not for the Zea water and its proven.

batonettes

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Took an underwater video just for 4 seconds and my Z3 is dead. When checked board, lcd panel or whatever you call that and other parts are corroded. Its started by shutting down automatically then when power button is pressed empty bat icon appears then vibrates 3 times continuosly after an hour no more reaction. When connected to charger it keeps on vibrating thrice. Well just a caution. Though I did not follow the limit of use because Z1s and Z2s of my friends are being submerged in sea water with no damage after. Well I went to Sony Centers and after the explanation and talks my warranty is voided. HAHAHA 😭 Repair costs nearly a brand new Z3.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It says 1.5 meters (59 inches) of fresh water. (It shouldn't make any difference, but evidently salt water gets in where fresh water doesn't.)

If the difference isn't much, I'd opt for a new phone. If they leave the slightest amount of salts in the phone after repairing it, the new parts will eventually corrode (the phone can withstand slight condensation, but not if the condensate dissolves some salt), and they'll tell you that you voided the warranty again.

batonettes

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Some marketing error maybe. It didnt even reached the 1.5 limit. Just a foot dipping. Some say that the first batch has a lot of defects. Oh well got to deal with. Haha!

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I got rid of my z3 because it shut off on me in the shower 2x sent it in for repair 2x than I got annoyed and got the nexus 5

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
It is definitely not saltwater proof. I killed a Z1 compact last year because of that. Luckily Sony was nice enough to replace it.

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I love the fact that electronics and phones generally are becoming waterproof. Unfortunately there's a lot of confusion to what this means really.

First you should understand what the IP rating really means and Sony has provided suitable information - Water and dust resistance – all you need to know – Sony Xperia™ Z3 support (United Kingdom)

When they show people diving into water it's fresh water, not salt. It says very specifically on the the link above to NEVER put your device in salt water.

For those unfamiliar with what salt water can do, I'll put it this way, salt water is one of the most corrosive elements on the planet. I've seen what it can do first hand.

As for people using the device in showers, I wouldn't recommend doing that. Aside from not being necessary (can't you spare 5-7 minutes for yourself?), IP68 is about submersion, not jet spray and it's depth is to what the manufacturer specifies, in this case 1.5m for the Z3.

Sorry to hear that people get confused with this. Hopefully in time more people will understand better what these IP ratings mean.

Last edited:

rspierenburg

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
What I think is misleading is the fact that on their product page Sony advertises that the Xperia Z3 is waterproof. Only when you go to their support site do they mention that its in fact Water Resistant. I'm not sure how often this happens, but I've heard cases of people ensuring that all the flaps are closed and then use their camera in fresh water, have it fail and then Sony dismissing it for some reason. I think the whole Waterproofing/Water Resistant thing is ultimately a gimmick, I for one would be very hesitant about taking a $700 water-resistant piece of electronics under any water.

Just my two-cents.
Rob

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
What I think is misleading is the fact that on their product page Sony advertises that the Xperia Z3 is waterproof. Only when you go to their support site do they mention that its in fact Water Resistant. I'm not sure how often this happens, but I've heard cases of people ensuring that all the flaps are closed and then use their camera in fresh water, have it fail and then Sony dismissing it for some reason. I think the whole Waterproofing/Water Resistant thing is ultimately a gimmick, I for one would be very hesitant about taking a $700 water-resistant piece of electronics under any water.

Just my two-cents.
Rob

Not sure what you're reading but this is off the Sony site -

"In compliance with IP65 and IP68, the Xperia Z3 is protected against the ingress of dust and is waterproof. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) dust tight and (ii) protected against low-pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP65; and/or (iii) can be kept under 1.5 m of fresh water for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP68."

Keeping in mind that the specification is very specific to what it means by IP68. It's best not to use terms like water resistance and waterproof when relating to IP ratings.

Also Sony specifies what can be done with the phone after it's been submerged.

Whether you think it's a gimmick or not it has been independently tested and Sony has paid for this certification. They wouldn't advertise it if it wasn't proven to work. Doesn't mean there isn't manufacturing defects or problems with people misusing their phone.

I sometimes wonder how many people don't use it properly in water and that is one of the main issues. Human error will probably account for at least 95% of all issues, the OP of this thread is a clear example of it.

rspierenburg

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I guess I mis-read the part that said it was Water and Dust Resistant. I completely agree, I have no real way of knowing what these people did or didn't do to their phones.

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I guess I mis-read the part that said it was Water and Dust Resistant. I completely agree, I have no real way of knowing what these people did or didn't do to their phones.

It's 'dust tight' and 'waterproof'. Not resistant. Water resistant means you can splash water on it or IPX4 rating. A IPX8 rating is means submerging in water for a period of time. IP6X means dust tight. This means no ingress of dust or water in the device for the period specified by the manufacturer in which it was tested for. In the case of the Z3 this means 1.5m of water for 30 minutes for the IPX8 rating. The IP6X rating speaks for itself, no dust.

batonettes

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Ey guys I really do understand this whole IP thing, what I cant understand is that why those Z1s and Z2s of my friends are being submerged to salt water and did not experienced any damages or issues with their Zs. Why is it that the most advanced Z is the one being incapable. Anyway, thank you guys for the replies and ideas. Ive moved on from the loss of gadget/money. Using a new Z3 now. Enjoyed it and functioning better than the last one.

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Ey guys I really do understand this whole IP thing, what I cant understand is that why those Z1s and Z2s of my friends are being submerged to salt water and did not experienced any damages or issues with their Zs. Why is it that the most advanced Z is the one being incapable. Anyway, thank you guys for the replies and ideas. Ive moved on from the loss of gadget/money. Using a new Z3 now. Enjoyed it and functioning better than the last one.

Just to be clear. I wasn't arguing. I was merely trying to help clarify some confusion. I work in an industry where IP ratings are very important. You cannot slap an IP rating on something. It's a regulated and tested standard.

As for those with Z1 and Z2 phones sticking them in salt water is a bad idea. They've simply been lucky. The rating on the Z3 is higher but I still wouldn't stick it in salt water.

Good luck and enjoy your new Z3. :)

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Whilst I agree with some of the posts above, we've all done pretty well without waterproofing for many, many years. Whilst, yes, some of the advertising may be a tad misleading to the layman, or those not willing to to do a little research, when I got my Z3 home, I didn't drop it straight into a pint of water, nor did chuck it into the hoover dust-bag. To me, it's a useful feature that means I'm not constantly shielding my handset when on a call outside in the rain, or checking the surface in the pub for liquid before I put it down. A friend of mine has just bought a new car that is apparently one of the safest cars on the market, but he hasn't driven it into a wall to find out how accurate it is.

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Whilst I agree with some of the posts above, we've all done pretty well without waterproofing for many, many years. Whilst, yes, some of the advertising may be a tad misleading to the layman, or those not willing to to do a little research, when I got my Z3 home, I didn't drop it straight into a pint of water, nor did chuck it into the hoover dust-bag. To me, it's a useful feature that means I'm not constantly shielding my handset when on a call outside in the rain, or checking the surface in the pub for liquid before I put it down. A friend of mine has just bought a new car that is apparently one of the safest cars on the market, but he hasn't driven it into a wall to find out how accurate it is.

Well said. The unfortunate part is that the mobile industry is using IP ratings as a 'feature' rather than what it's used for in the industry. IP ratings are there to give you and idea of what the device can 'do', not what you 'should do' with it.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Well said. The unfortunate part is that the mobile industry is using IP ratings as a 'feature' rather than what it's used for in the industry. IP ratings are there to give you and idea of what the device can 'do', not what you 'should do' with it.

Agreed, but that was my point. It's a selling point, but we're all grown ups and as much as it SHOULD cope with the local swimming baths, the necessity or need is rarely there.

ryaninc

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
My first Z3 Compact had the same problem, but with fresh water. Dunked it in less than a foot of water for only a minute or two and it died completely. Thankfully I was able to get it replaced and the new one has been in similar water situations without issue. I think it's simply a quality control issue. More than a few of these devices are leaving the factory without sufficient waterproofing.

Wollombi

May 29, 2012
Visit site
From Sony's website:
"In compliance with IP65 and IP68, the Xperia Z3 is protected against the ingress of dust and is waterproof. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) dust tight and (ii) protected against low-pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP65; and/or (iii) can be kept under 1.5 m of fresh water for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP68."

Shower jets are definitely considered low pressure, so you should be fine if you decide to take your phone in the shower (to, say, control the music streaming to your bluetooth speaker on the bathroom counter).

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
From Sony's website:

Shower jets are definitely considered low pressure, so you should be fine if you decide to take your phone in the shower (to, say, control the music streaming to your bluetooth speaker on the bathroom counter).

This does not mean you 'should' do something. It just means it can withstand it. I would not recommend taking a phone into the shower on a regular basis.

IP ratings are capabilities. IP68 is not a constant state, it's but one possible situation. You design things to only be in those states on occasion not all the time. This is the problem with using standards that people don't understand.

If you plan to use it in water or the shower, if you must, then be sure to read what to do after you do so.

Water and dust resistance – all you need to know – Sony Xperia™ Z3 support (United Kingdom)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol