Playing apps from SD installed with another phone?

bart-videophile

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently purchased an xperia z3, with which I'm very happy so far. Only... I found out it is impossible to move apps to the external sd card. Infuriating, since now I can only install a small handful of apps on my phone.

Is there a way around it if I install apps on the sd card using another phone? Can the z3 at least read/play games/apps that are present on the sd card (accumulated in another way)?

That would be some kind of solution, until at some point the functionality to move apps to sd on the xperia z-series will be introduced...

Thanks!

Cheers,
Bart.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, unfortunately SD card apps was something that Android removed from KitKat and only a handful of manufacturers added back to a certain extent (you can't still fully load an app onto an SD card, the main app file still needs to reside on your phone).

If you root, however, there are 'hacks' that allow you to trick the phone into thinking that the SD card is just another part of the internal memory, thus, letting you use it just as if it was, including installing apps. IN MY EXPERIENCE, nonetheless, SD cards are very unreliable and if you remove an SD card with an app on it, it will malfunction, guaranteed.