Z3 vs Moto X (2014)

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the Z3 now but have a chance to buy a Moto X 2nd gen. If I were to buy the Moto X I'd sell my Z3.
What is everyone's thoughts? Worth it or not?

Posted via the Android Central App

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I have the Z3 now but have a chance to buy a Moto X 2nd gen. If I were to buy the Moto X I'd sell my Z3.
What is everyone's thoughts? Worth it or not?

I purchased a Moto X (2014) during their Cyber Monday sale and sent it back after 2 weeks for a refund.

It's a nice phone don't get me wrong but the screen is not that great and the Amoled screen they used has pink tinting. Also, the battery life was not that great and the camera was complete garbage. I also didn't like how it rocked when on a flat surface due to it's curved back.

Another downside is that even though it looks like it has dual front speakers, it does not. The top grill is the earpiece and the bottom grill is the one and only speaker.

It's a nice phone but I'd take the Z3 over it in a heartbeat!

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I would walk right past the Moto. Like others have said, it's a nice phone. But in my opinion the Z3 is the complete package....battery life, waterproof, dust proof, the screen, the camera, SD Card...etc.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't go from Z3 to 2014 Moto X. I had the Moto X and decided to take it back and stick with my G2 until G Flex 2 or G4 are available. Just couldn't live with poor battery life and subpar camera.

Sent from my G2 running SlimKat

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. You made all the same points in a pros and cons list I was making. I'm going to stick with the Z3.
Just being curious, how is everyone doing with internal memory? I have the D6603 model witch is only 16GB and have about 8.5 left (I do have a 64GB memory cars installed also)

vjoom

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Agree with everyone here. I had a moto x and just got z3. Z3 has better screen, camera and super battery life.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone. You made all the same points in a pros and cons list I was making. I'm going to stick with the Z3.
Just being curious, how is everyone doing with internal memory? I have the D6603 model witch is only 16GB and have about 8.5 left (I do have a 64GB memory cars installed also)

Well you're on the Z3 forum, so you're going to get more responses for the Z3.

I've used both, and I kept the Moto X (2014).

Could care less for dust or water proofing. I'm sure it's useful for some people, but for me it does nothing, I have never had phone damage due to dust or water before, and I (alongside several mobile phone owners) have lived a while without this feature.

Z3 has the better battery for sure, but as far as I'm concerned I cannot think of a use case where I will go a full day without having the opportunity to charge my phone. In summary, battery life hasn't been a concern for me, it has never died on me.

Moto X's screen is better in my opinion. AMOLED > IPS but I suppose some prefer brightness over saturation. Personally for me though, no AMOLED = no buy.

Moto X's UI is just cleaner, and there's no arguing that. Moto found a way to put in several useful features in this phone without bastardising the UI. I hate the Xperia UI, and while I realize this is a matter of preference it's what drove me away from Sony. I also wasn't a fan of the glass back of the Z3, I much preferred the wood backing offered by the Moto X (again this boils down to preference).

Anyway, at the end of the day, they're just phones, buy what you enjoy.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well you're on the Z3 forum, so you're going to get more responses for the Z3.

I've used both, and I kept the Moto X (2014).

Could care less for dust or water proofing. I'm sure it's useful for some people, but for me it does nothing, I have never had phone damage due to dust or water before, and I (alongside several mobile phone owners) have lived a while without this feature.

Z3 has the better battery for sure, but as far as I'm concerned I cannot think of a use case where I will go a full day without having the opportunity to charge my phone. In summary, battery life hasn't been a concern for me, it has never died on me.

Moto X's screen is better in my opinion. AMOLED > IPS but I suppose some prefer brightness over saturation. Personally for me though, no AMOLED = no buy.

Moto X's UI is just cleaner, and there's no arguing that. Moto found a way to put in several useful features in this phone without bastardising the UI. I hate the Xperia UI, and while I realize this is a matter of preference it's what drove me away from Sony. I also wasn't a fan of the glass back of the Z3, I much preferred the wood backing offered by the Moto X (again this boils down to preference).

Anyway, at the end of the day, they're just phones, buy what you enjoy.
you like 1 out of 10 people who doesn't like the xperia U.I. I've owned htc evo(sense), never owned a Sam Sung(touchwiz) but I have alot of opportunities to handle one everyone has a gs4-5.Lg G3 interface is like touch wiz to me in a sense. The Sony xperia u. I is so clean and straight forward. Thats how I prefer my u. I. But as you say to each is own.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 via the Coconut Wireless \ooo/...