Lollipop Changes: Plus, Minus, and Neutral

BenL

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
These are the Lollipop (5.0.2) changes I've noticed since installing it on my Z3 Compact last week.

/ Moved the Silent/Vibrate/Sound buttons from the power button screen to the volume buttons screen.

- Vibrate button has been replaced with "Priority" (see below). To use vibrate mode, turn volume down all the way. This means to go back to hearing the ringer, you'll have to raise the volume and guess where you had it set before.

/ Priority mode lets you turn off the ringer, but create a list of people that get "priority" and specify which callers will still ring. You can manually switch to Priority mode at any time. If you're going to a meeting, you can tell it to stay in Priority mode temporally and then turn the ringer back on in an hour or two. It adds a star to the notifications bar when Priority mode is on.

+ With the Priority mode's "Down Time" can set a time to turn off ringer while you're sleeping. Press volume button and then click on "Priority" and then once it appears, press the settings gear. Select the days and then the time. When done, switch back to sound.

- No more calendar widget (or any other widget) on lock screen.
Not as good, but you add Google's Calendar as a two row high widget on the Home screen).

- Grid on Data Usage graph is gone.

- Extra swipe to unlock. First swipe to get past notifications and then pattern unlock.

- Can't select which notifications show information on the lock screen. Either you have all or nothing.

/ Recent Apps page also shows webpages as separate apps

+ In Calendar, contacts, and other apps now ask if you want to save changes when you use the back button. Also the save button says "Save" instead of being a check mark.

/ Whenever you unplug the USB cable, it reminds you to close the flap. (there's a button to tell it to stop)

/ I haven't decided if Guest mode is useful for me. I was hoping it could be changed within one or two taps from the lock screen.

/ Lollipop offers full encryption of your data, including the SD card.​

What else changes have people noticed?

Now that I've replaced the Calendar Widget on the lock screen with Google's Calendar, I'm happier with Lollipop, but I still wish I had the Calendar Widget on the lock screen.

Lu99ke

May 28, 2013
Visit site
- Can't select which notifications show information on the lock screen. Either you have all or nothing.

You can select app by app to hide info.... Just long press the notification on the lock screen, then hit the little "I" and you will go into it's settings.... As example...I have blocked my work email from showing info but have my gmail showing...

uploadfromtaptalk1428787396394.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428787421248.jpg

BenL

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
What about the battery life on lollipop? Its matter to me

I haven't noticed a difference going from KitKat to Lollipop. I still charge my phone every other day (I check my mail incessantly, but I'm not a heavy user of games/music/...)

Last edited:

BenL

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You can select app by app to hide info.... Just long press the notification on the lock screen, then hit the little "I" and you will go into it's settings.... As example...I have blocked my work email from showing info but have my gmail showing...

Thanks. That works (had to turn on show all first).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm