First off, I apologise if this is the wrong place for this.

Long story short, my dad (a salesman selling digital cameras) got retrenched a while back and just got hired by Sony. The company supposedly has apps that let their sales personnel input their sales figures, but they are Android-only. So my dad, who has been using a dumb phone up till now, finally got a Sony Z3 as his first smartphone (a bit old, I know, with the Z4 supposedly around the corner, but I think they were offering it cheap on contract).

My dad is quite new to the world of smartphones, while I myself am an iPhone user, so we are playing around with the phone, downloading some basic apps (like whatsapp and telegram) and trying out all sorts of settings and toggles.

First impressions, the phone actually feels quite good in the hand. I can hold it comfortably in one hand, the plastic is smooth and nice to hold, the power button feels quite tactile, and the screen looks gorgeous.

I must say that Android does offer a wealth of customisation. He didn't quite like the look of the Z3's skin (seems material design just got applied to the notifications shade, and it looks quite out of place). Explored launchers, downloaded Aviate and Nova. Aviate seems quite sleek and beautiful, so he will try it out for the next couple of days.

Selection of widgets is quite limited at the moment. We just added a Google Keep widget which he thinks will be useful in letting him take quick notes. Looks promising.

Dug out my old pebble watch and the quick reply function is actually pretty neat.

First off, any way to add a torchlight function to the lock screen? Seems that function was removed with Lollipop?

Anyways, expects more questions here in the near future as we play around with it more and encounter more scenarios. 😊
    05-22-2015 07:19 PM
    You're in the right place. Glad to hear you guys are doing good and exploring the device. Unfortunately widgets were removed from the lock scree in Lollipop. There are workarounds and apps available to help fix this issue; however, the end result is not really the same lock screen experience with widgets.
    05-22-2015 09:23 PM
    hello..can you tell me the difference between sony z3 6653 and 6539 ? and which is better. tq
    05-24-2015 06:37 AM
    You're in the right place. Glad to hear you guys are doing good and exploring the device. Unfortunately widgets were removed from the lock scree in Lollipop. There are workarounds and apps available to help fix this issue; however, the end result is not really the same lock screen experience with widgets.
    While widgets are gone, you can add the flashlight to the drop down quick settings and access it while the screen is locked
    New to Z3....Hello.-screenshot_2015-06-02-06-28-41.jpg
    06-02-2015 05:30 AM