11-15-2014 01:20 AM
35 12
tools
    Looks nice but black looks better

Verizon Z3v in white hands on-imageuploadedbytapatalk1413916073.866358.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
    lindseybp likes this.
    10-21-2014 01:28 PM
    Where did you see it? What were your impressions? How is the size? the feel etc.?

Thanks!
    10-21-2014 02:01 PM
    Size is a little thicker than I anticipated. I held he z1 at t mobile last year and this felt more like plastic than glass (even though it's glass). Also it's bends if you put a little twist to it and I didn't see that coming either having the note 4 in my other hand feeling more solid. Black looks better in my opinion

I use the iPhone 6 plus and its smaller than that. The grip feels really nice because of the thicker sides. Easy to hold. Only other thing I am unimpressed with is the charging port cover. Feels really really flimsy. Better than the S5 though mine fell off in 8 days.

Overall so far it's really nice. But I have some reservations about it. Would still PROBABLY take the note 4 or the 6+

10-21-2014 03:35 PM
    Thanks...How does the size compare to the s5 and Note 4?
    10-21-2014 03:50 PM
    How did you get one already? Don't they come out Thursday?
    10-21-2014 05:10 PM
    Feels smaller than both I feel like. Will post a picture of them all side by side if you like.

10-21-2014 05:45 PM
    Thanks, please do. Also if you have any thoughts on the camera vs. the samsungs....thanks
    10-21-2014 05:58 PM
    We got them at our store as well. This thing is way too thick and looks a lot cheaper than I expected from sony.
    peteypab2133 likes this.
    10-21-2014 06:00 PM
    After holding it and playing with the phone, I'll be looking at the N6 or Turbo.

The device is too thick and frankly unacceptable. It feels pretty cheap and the cover seems flimsy. Just overall disappointed with Sony, because I was super excited when I heard Verizon was going to carry it.
    Kaiser Droid likes this.
    10-21-2014 06:03 PM
    After holding it and playing with the phone, I'll be looking at the N6 or Turbo.

The device is too thick and frankly unacceptable. It feels pretty cheap and the cover seems flimsy. Just overall disappointed with Sony, because I was super excited when I heard Verizon was going to carry it.
    Could not have said it better. The z1 was much nicer.

10-21-2014 09:23 PM
    White s5 on top of z3v on top of note 4

Verizon Z3v in white hands on-imageuploadedbytapatalk1413985308.574457.jpgVerizon Z3v in white hands on-imageuploadedbytapatalk1413985319.258978.jpgVerizon Z3v in white hands on-imageuploadedbytapatalk1413985334.394326.jpg

richard_rsp likes this.
    10-22-2014 08:42 AM
    Thanks...but disappointing to hear about the device build.
    10-22-2014 08:56 AM
    Have you had any hands on time with the Droid Turbo?
    10-22-2014 09:46 AM
    Would you mind showing a picture of the respective thickness from the side?

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-22-2014 11:50 AM
    The Z3v seems unnecessarily large. Even so, I am still interested...
    10-22-2014 12:52 PM
    Had it narrowed down to Z3v and Nexus 6. Seems 6 is pulling away quite easily. The few hands on I've seen/read are praising its' camera, which may or may not be up to par with Z3v but if it's even close, the other features make the 6 my clear choice.

Would have loved to see Sony make a real splash into the US/Verizon market. Don't think this is it.
    10-22-2014 04:27 PM
    The reason it is thicker is because Version added QI wireless charging, bigger battery and it is waterproof. If those features aren't important to you then buy a different phone. These features could not have been added to the Z3. The call quality is excellent, the display is better than 80% of the current Verizon smartphones and the camera (even though an older version is one of the best on Verizon). You will have to be OK using this phone naked as there won't be many accessories made for it.

xeene likes this.
    10-25-2014 12:28 PM
    This is really a z2 made for Verizon. Calling it a z3 is not right

Posted via Android Central App
    10-25-2014 02:11 PM
    This is really a z2 made for Verizon. Calling it a z3 is not right

It is,basically z3 internals with z2 body and qi charging. I am not sure If they used the z3 or z2 screen in it.

10-25-2014 03:52 PM
    Got the Z3v last night. Pretty much have things set up now and although the phone is a little blocky and not quite as comfortable to hold as a curved back, this is really a great device. The glass back has me wishing for more case options but as far as performance... I really couldn't ask for more. LOL - and if I did I wouldn't be able to tell the difference this thing is so smooth and fast. It's early to tell yet on the battery, but right now I'm showing 65% with 3 hours screen time. I'm getting consistently better radio reception (averaging about 4 dbm better) than my Samsungs.

I really don't care if you call this a Z2 or a Z3... That's all marketing crap and most tech reviewers are just taking advantage of the unfortunate name they ended up calling it so they could have something to talk about and appear smart. LOL. At the end of the day if this were called something unique as a Verizon exclusive, it wouldn't get as much negative attention. I think the phone stands on its own merits quite nicely.

Will I keep it long? Not sure yet. I really do like it though - A LOT!
    anon(1733) and xeene like this.
    10-25-2014 04:06 PM
    It is,basically z3 internals with z2 body and qi charging. I am not sure If they used the z3 or z2 screen in it.

It's using the Z2 display.

Sent from my LG G3
    10-25-2014 10:59 PM
    Picked up the Z3v in white too. It's my first white phone (though I do have a white iPad). I usually get black, but wanted to try something different. Coming from a Droid MAXX. The phone though it's bigger than my old one, feels "better" somehow. It definitely feels better than I thought it would.
    10-26-2014 01:24 AM
    Picked up the Z3v in white too. It's my first white phone (though I do have a white iPad). I usually get black, but wanted to try something different. Coming from a Droid MAXX. The phone though it's bigger than my old one, feels "better" somehow. It definitely feels better than I thought it would.
    What do you miss about the MAXX? What does the z3v do that the MAXX doesn't? Considering the same switch, so just looking for good input on the switch from the MAXX... Thanks

10-26-2014 02:29 PM
    What do you miss about the MAXX? What does the z3v do that the MAXX doesn't? Considering the same switch, so just looking for good input on the switch from the MAXX... Thanks

I loved my MAXX. The battery was superb, and the phone was tough, nothing ever crashed on me...only the camera was a little meh.

I don't miss anything about the MAXX so far, This Sony is incredible.

My initial impressions after two days of use so far:

What's in the box... You get the phone, a micro USB cable, and a charger. The charger has one port and is rather...large. It has a 1500mah output. I didn't even open it as I have chargers galore as well as a TYLT vu wireless qi charger. No headset included with the Z3v, but I did order a set of the Sony MDR-31 noise canceling earbuds that look like ordinary earbuds with no control box or AAA battery needed. The noise canceling circuitry is in the phone, and will work with this particular headset. More on sound later.

Design: Nope, it's not a Z3. More along the lines of the Z2 as we all know now, but it feels nice and premium feeling nonetheless. The port covers feel like every other port cover I've felt on a phone, not sure why some people said they are flimsy. Weight feels fine for the size of the phone, and even though it's thicker than the Original Z3, it feels great in the hand. Big Red's logo on the front really spoils the look of the phone, but other than that, it looks and feels ace.

UI: Close to stock Android 4.4, but it does have Sony's influences. Nothing too drastic though, and the phone is snappy! There is of course Verizon bloatware galore. They even put their own VZW messenger app as the stock text app (think it's called Messenger+ or something) which was annoying. Thankfully you can change it.

Camera: Seems to be pretty damn good. Definitely faster and so far, better looking shots than the one in my MAXX. Way too many shooting modes. Most will just set it on auto, but you need to go manual if you want the full 20mp res shots. Otherwise, it defaults to 8 mp shots (which do look great). Still playing with it.

Sound: The stereo speakers sound great. They aren't as good as HTC Boom sound, but what other phone is? These are definitely second place though. I haven't yet had the opportunity to try the high res audio through USB or headphones, nor did I receive the noise canceling Sony earbuds I ordered last night so I couldn't try that either. I tried a few ordinary 256kb mp3's with Xaiomi Gold Piston 2's, Logitech UE 500's, Vmoda Crossfade M100s, and even a few other pairs of really cheap cans. They all sounded really good. Definitely better than my MAXX, probably even better than my Walkman mp3 player. Would like to try the noise canceling headset for flights. Will update on that later.

Call quality/vibration: Some reviews said mediocre. All my test calls sounded perfectly fine and clear, and the people on the opposite end said that I sounded great. There is an option for "enhancing" the caller's voice which I had turned off. Have not tried it with it on, but I suspect that may be the reason some reviews said the calls didn't sound so great. Will have to try it myself. No dropped calls as is par the course for Verizon. Vibration seems to be so-so, but maybe because I could tailor the types of vibrations in my MAXX. I don't know if that's something this phone can do...haven't found it yet.

Battery: Seems to be fantastic, almost on par with my MAXX. Came home with 56% at the end of an 11 hour day with pretty high usage. My MAXX would typically have 60% or so. Will need some time to really see how it holds up.

Screen: Looks terrific to me. Not mega bright, but more than what I would ever need. 1080p is a bit overkill IMO, so it looks fine to me. You can adjust the white balance etc if you are so inclined. One thing I did notice, is the automatic brightness (adaptive lighting conditions) doesn't seem to "work". I swear the screen doesn't dim in lower light.

PS4 Remote Play: coming soon

Waterproofing/Dust proofing: I haven't tried this yet.

Compared to my MAXX:
    Camera, video, PS4 remote play (which I haven't tried yet as the update isn't out), included alarms/ringtones are a step above the MAXX. I do miss active notifications, touchless control, and the flicking my wrist to activate camera features. At least the Z3v has a dedicated camera button, which is a plus.
    Both have wireless charging (which is so great with a TYLT Vu) which is a feature I didn't want to give up.

Misc:
    • The Z3V loses the lanyard loop that the Z3 has.
    • The themes you can download are kind of cool. These are just like the PS3 themes except for your phone. There's a free Little Big Planet one that's kind of cool.
    • I have been on Verizon for a long time, it's nice to see a Sony product that is more in line with their new outlook (PS4, etc).
    • Cases: There are none. Well, MY VZW store had a silicone case that I had to get since there was no other option. The case is actually a TPU one I think, but is glossy black (they also had lavender). It actually is great except it's a fingerprint magnet. Hoping for a Bugdroid in Smoke. On Verizon's site, they list Incipio as having a case coming. In black and purple. More fuel for the this is a Z2 and Verizon was going to release it as such earlier.
    • Employees at my store really like the phone. Several want to buy it and they are excited that Sony is back in their stores.
    • That said, there was no advertising the phone in my store. It was tossed right next to the Notes and Moto X. No signs except for the tiny placard under the demo unit telling you what kind of phone it was. I did notice a lot of people asking what it was. Most people said the same thing..."Sony makes phones?"
    Muraenidae and xeene like this.
    10-26-2014 03:47 PM

We have two Maxx phones in the house and one switched to the z3v. Overall its a nice phone.

What do I not like compared to the Maxx? Oddly enough, the back of the phone. I tend to use phones without cases and the z3v with the glass back is slippery. It feels like a higher quality phone but I also feel that one drop would damage it. I never felt that way with the Maxx (of which I dropped a few times with no issue). There is currently a lack of nice case options for the phone.

What is better than the Maxx? The speakers are much nicer, screen is better, and camera is better. Its a worthy upgrade if you do not plan on considering the Droid Turbo or Nexus 6.
    xeene likes this.
    10-26-2014 03:51 PM
35 12