FM or No FM

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
So, many of the sites say the Z3v has FM...can anyone confirm?

I am attempting to combine a phone, an ipod and an FM radio into one device and this looks like the one, but my wife picked up a Z3v last night (exchanged a turbo) and I downloaded a few of the radio apps at the Play store to no avail.

Anyone?

Posted via the Android Central App

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, but are you using headphones? I know my Nokia had to have headphones plugged in in order to access the FM radio (due to using the headphones as an antenna).

I would try it myself, but I'm at work for 7 more hours and no headphones. :-(

Roy Droid

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I get mine later today. I'll check too, but I do know Verizon is notorious for blocking FM radio on phones. They want you to stream music so you use more data and force you into a higher data plan.

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, Sony's own page ( Xperia Z3v Specifications | 5.2” touchscreen - Sony Smartphones (United States) ) says the phone has "UKW radio with RDS." A quick Google search indicates that "RKW" is the German term for FM radio and RDS of course stands for Radio Data System.

Maybe you just haven't found the right app yet.

Thanks, i have read the specs and actually run radio stations, so I get what RDS stands for and all that. Was looking for someone who has tried and succeeded.

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, but are you using headphones? I know my Nokia had to have headphones plugged in in order to access the FM radio (due to using the headphones as an antenna).

I would try it myself, but I'm at work for 7 more hours and no headphones. :-(

Tried the headphone route too. Opened kinda audio app, but no FM.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hate to change the subject, DJ, but I noticed you said your wife exchanged the Turbo for her z3v. I actually did the same, and glad I made the decision. Just wondering what made her switch as well?

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Hate to change the subject, DJ, but I noticed you said your wife exchanged the Turbo for her z3v. I actually did the same, and glad I made the decision. Just wondering what made her switch as well?

Crisper screen.
SD card.
Waterproof.

Those were the main 3.

And now who can help me get FM working so I can buy one too!