Lumia Icon thinking of switching

Tomad9#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I have the Nokia Lumia Icon and I am thinking of switching back to Android. Like the Windows platform but lack of apps is hard to deal with. I am toggling back and forth between Sony and Turbo. More I read the more I like the sony. Have a couple questions, thank you in advanced for replies:
1) Call quality, how is it?
2) Camera - Icon has a pretty sweet camera, anyone able to compare?
3) Storage, I see the Sony has sd slot, can you save pictures and such on it?

Thank you

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the Nokia Lumia Icon and I am thinking of switching back to Android. Like the Windows platform but lack of apps is hard to deal with. I am toggling back and forth between Sony and Turbo. More I read the more I like the sony. Have a couple questions, thank you in advanced for replies:
1) Call quality, how is it?
That depends on the carrier's coverage than the phone (unless it's an iPhone with an antenna that's placed so that holding the phone cuts the signal off - thanks,Steve).

2) Camera - Icon has a pretty sweet camera, anyone able to compare?
A good photographer can take good pictures with a 3MP camera, a bad photographer takes bad pictures with a 42MP camera - or even a $3,500 Hasselblad. (Ansel Adams took some really great pictures with a $3 Kodak Brownie.) If you want to take great pictures, don't look at the camera specs, look at the camera app specs (and the ones that come with the phones are usually worse than the ones you can find for free at the Play Store) - and read everything Kodak has to say (online) about taking good pictures. Rule of threes, depth of field, learn how your app meters and where, and develop a photographer's eye. (One of my favorite pictures is looking through a wrought iron fence at a large expanse of flat, featureless snow, at night, with a tiny yellow car with red tail lights far in the distance. Stark black and white, and just enough color to make you gasp. Taken with a cheap 35mm camera with cheap film.)

Photography's like anything else - Babe Ruth didn't hold the home record for so long because he was such a precision hitter - he swung more than anyone else. (He also held the record for being struck out.) Take pictures. (With digital, it's free. Delete the bad ones if you need space.) Take thousands of pictures. That's how to take good pictures - with a box camera, a phone or the best camera ever made.

3) Storage, I see the Sony has sd slot, can you save pictures and such on it?
That's basically what Android is designed to do - use the SD card for saving files - songs, pictures, videos, documents - any files. Some people run apps from it, but that often doesn't work. Saving pictures to it always does.

(And remember a computer axiom - any file not backed up to at least 2 different destinations [like your laptop and a cloud account, or 2 (or more) cloud accounts] is a file you don't need.)

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The call quality for me has been so much better than my last three phones. I'm really happy with it.

Roy Droid

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
WP is a good platform, but the lack of apps is a deal breaker. Call quality on my phone is super good. Way better than my M7. I don't hear any background noise on the other end. It might be the "Speaker voice enhancement" feature. I want to try the "Slow Talk" feature for some of my fast-talking friends.
Screenshot_2014-12-01-23-34-29.jpg

Tomad9#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for feedback, I do disagree with camera. If Babe Ruth had the wrong size and weighted bat, I doubt he would have hit as many homers. The nokia camera is much better than the driod maxx I had. The maxx generally took dark and grainy photos even in ideal situations. Also the maxx would not store pictures or songs on sd card, that is why I asked. Of course that was back a while ago..

That depends on the carrier's coverage than the phone (unless it's an iPhone with an antenna that's placed so that holding the phone cuts the signal off - thanks,Steve).

A good photographer can take good pictures with a 3MP camera, a bad photographer takes bad pictures with a 42MP camera - or even a $3,500 Hasselblad. (Ansel Adams took some really great pictures with a $3 Kodak Brownie.) If you want to take great pictures, don't look at the camera specs, look at the camera app specs (and the ones that come with the phones are usually worse than the ones you can find for free at the Play Store) - and read everything Kodak has to say (online) about taking good pictures. Rule of threes, depth of field, learn how your app meters and where, and develop a photographer's eye. (One of my favorite pictures is looking through a wrought iron fence at a large expanse of flat, featureless snow, at night, with a tiny yellow car with red tail lights far in the distance. Stark black and white, and just enough color to make you gasp. Taken with a cheap 35mm camera with cheap film.)

Photography's like anything else - Babe Ruth didn't hold the home record for so long because he was such a precision hitter - he swung more than anyone else. (He also held the record for being struck out.) Take pictures. (With digital, it's free. Delete the bad ones if you need space.) Take thousands of pictures. That's how to take good pictures - with a box camera, a phone or the best camera ever made.

That's basically what Android is designed to do - use the SD card for saving files - songs, pictures, videos, documents - any files. Some people run apps from it, but that often doesn't work. Saving pictures to it always does.

(And remember a computer axiom - any file not backed up to at least 2 different destinations [like your laptop and a cloud account, or 2 (or more) cloud accounts] is a file you don't need.)

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I had an Icon as my daily driver before my Xperia Z3v. I got fed up with waiting for an official Cyan / 8.1 update from Verizon.

I LOVE my Z3v, but there are a couple of things that the Icon did better. Specifically, I miss having a manual focus and driving mode (which is a WP thing, not necessarily an Icon feature).

I have gotten great pics with the Sony, but Macros are significantly harder without the manual focus. However the Z3v is much faster at taking pics, meaning I don't miss as many action shots.

As far as sound quality, I like the Sony better than my Icon; I have a 32gb SD card installed for pics and music. Works great.

Overall, the Z3v is a nice enough phone that I can deal without the manual focus and driving mode. Would I love to see Sony integrate similar features in the Z line? Sure! But their absence is far from a deal killer.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tomad9#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I had an Icon as my daily driver before my Xperia Z3v. I got fed up with waiting for an official Cyan / 8.1 update from Verizon.

I LOVE my Z3v, but there are a couple of things that the Icon did better. Specifically, I miss having a manual focus and driving mode (which is a WP thing, not necessarily an Icon feature).

I have gotten great pics with the Sony, but Macros are significantly harder without the manual focus. However the Z3v is much faster at taking pics, meaning I don't miss as many action shots.

As far as sound quality, I like the Sony better than my Icon; I have a 32gb SD card installed for pics and music. Works great.

Overall, the Z3v is a nice enough phone that I can deal without the manual focus and driving mode. Would I love to see Sony integrate similar features in the Z line? Sure! But their absence is far from a deal killer.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thanks, I made the switch today. Also it seems having a water resistant device is a nice plus. Also 1 feature on the Icon I liked was how it did voice commands and such like reading the texts through Bluetooth. How well is the Sony at doing this?

Roy Droid

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463