720p doesn't belong on a flagship.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I highly recommend this phone for anyone who wants a high end compact phone.

And this is the primary basis for buying this phone in the first place. I'm not actually sure why you even considered this phone if you were so concerned with resolution. You're crying to a group of people who likely chose this phone for its size and power. We know the resolution is not up there with the big boys. The plain fact is we don't care. If your argument is that they should use a 1080p screen then here's some reasons why not:

1. Higher resolution screens require more processing power to render the images. This will suck up more battery. Smaller phones have less room.
2. Sony already makes or has a source for a 4.6" screen with 720p (z3c uses the same screen). Since noone else makes a 4.6" screen with 1080p chances are they will either have to pay a lot more for it or have to spend more capital on tooling and design work. Its unlikely they sell enough of these to make such a venture worthwhile. But even if they did, its still hard to ignore reason #1.
3. Higher pixel density tends to drive up cost. Then parts become smaller the manufacturing tolerances become tighter. This generally costs more from everything from the raw materials to the tooling and processes. With the current trend of larger phones going on, there is a lot of availability of parts in those screen sizes (economies of scale), but with limited sales, what you might end up with is a smaller phone with 1080p that costs as much or more as the Z3. Then this thread would probably be titled "A 4.6" screen doesn't belong on a flagship." instead.

This phone simply wasn't a good match for you. The phone is what it is.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
And this is the primary basis for buying this phone in the first place. I'm not actually sure why you even considered this phone if you were so concerned with resolution.

I honestly thought the display will look great. Some reviewers said 720p on a 4.6" display along with Sony's Triluminos technology It'll look amazing. Unfortunately for me it only look decent.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I honestly thought the display will look great. Some reviewers said 720p on a 4.6" display along with Sony's Triluminos technology It'll look amazing. Unfortunately for me it only look decent.

Fair enough. And there is nothing wrong with saying that. But that it didn't meet your expectations is not Sony's fault if your expectations were too high to begin with.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Same can be said when I compare it to a Nexus 5 and a Nexus 5X screen.. The 720p on the Z5C looks MUCH better to my eye than either of those 1080p screens..

Ja5onG

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Just compared the z5c 720p screen to my htc one m8 1080p screen. I feel that the z5c screen is miles ahead when compared to the M8. 1080p screen.

thats sounds great, My HTC one M8 recently got stolen to Ive been looking at what to replace it with, Z5C was top of the list, but rge screen thing did put me off a bit. The fact you have made the jump already and thinks its great sells me on the Z5c

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084