Z5 Premium is not as waterproof as Z3? Why?!

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
It seems the Z5 Premium might not be waterproof anymore which is a bummer.

I was really hoping for it to have the same disclaimer as the Z3:
*The Xperia Z3 is waterproof and protected against dust as long as you follow a few simple instructions: all ports and attached covers are firmly closed; you can’t take the phone deeper than 1.5m of water and for longer than 30 minutes; and the water should be fresh water. Casual use in chlorinated pools is permitted provided it’s rinsed in fresh water afterwards. No seawater and no salt water pools. Abuse and improper use of device will invalidate warranty. The phone has an Ingress Protection rating of IP65 and IP68.

But alas, no full submersion for the Z5:
**** The Xperia Z5 Premium is waterproof and protected against dust, so don’t worry if you get caught in the rain or want to wash off dirt under a tap, but remember: all ports and attached covers should be firmly closed. You should not put the device completely underwater or expose it to seawater, salt water, chlorinated water or liquids such as drinks. Abuse and improper use of device will invalidate warranty. The device has Ingress Protection rating IP65/68.

Think they'll update the disclaimer closer to launch or is it really that much less waterproof now that they have an open USB port?

pjm1891

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Official responce from Sonys Xperia forums (apparently I can't post links)

Hi guys!

Our new Xperia Z5 is protected from water ingress according to the IPx5/x8 standard, which is the highest water protection featured in mobile handsets. The tests for this rating also include the slow submersion in a fresh water tank up to 1.5m for a duration of 30 minutes. Moving or operating the device while it is submerged is not tested during the laboratory tests. There are also many environmental factors which we could not assess (e.g. water movement or water pressure changes during the movement), if a device is used underwater. Therefore we recommend not submerge our Xperia Z5 in water.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Using the generic Micro USB and Mic rubber caps can avoid most of this possible scenarios. I bought a 40 items package (10 mic & 10 micro USB of each color) for my S6 Active, so now that I already sold it, I'm planning to use them in any other Waterproof devices I buy, like the Z5.

Just in case you don't know what I'm talking about, check this, they even look better in person than in the pictures.
20x Silicone 3 5mm Micro USB Cell Phone Port Plug Cover Cap Anti Dust Protector | eBay

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney