View Poll Results: Which new Z5 model are you interested in?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Compact...I like it stealthy!

3 16.67%
  • Regular Z5, why change a good thing!

8 44.44%
  • Give me the Premium!

6 33.33%
  • I'll wait....what are you waiting for?

1 5.56%
10-13-2015 12:22 AM
39 12
tools
    Which model in the Sony Z5 line-up are you considering?
    08-31-2015 01:57 PM
    Z5 or premium. I'm very interested in the premium version if the they are able to keep the bezels down and overall dimensions of the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-31-2015 04:44 PM
    The Premium should be an interesting device......I am concerned about how much Sony will charge for it. That 4k screen is going to up the price.
    08-31-2015 08:48 PM
    The Premium should be an interesting device......I am concerned about how much Sony will charge for it. That 4k screen is going to up the price.
    Same here.

If I jump it will be the 4k version.
    09-01-2015 04:24 AM
    Lots of views, not many votes? Also where are the Z Compact lovers?

Posted via the Android Central App using my Xperia Z3
    09-01-2015 02:00 PM
    I'm going with the regular edition. I don't need or want a 4k display on my phone. All it will lead to is worse performance and battery life.
    09-03-2015 12:39 AM
    I'm going with the regular edition. I don't need or want a 4k display on my phone. All it will lead to is worse performance and battery life.
    I'm leaning this way as well. Going 4k would risk early adopter issues. Wait until 4k has been out longer
    09-03-2015 09:18 AM
    To think that a few days ago I was looking to get the Z3 or Z3 Plus. Now, I will be considering the Z5. I think the 4K on the Z5 Premium would be overkill and unnecessary. I will wait for reviews, though. However, I am curious to see if MKBHD will review the Z5 Premium since he is crazy about "crispy" displays.

Posted from one of my many Android devices.
    09-03-2015 12:48 PM
    Z5 Compact

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    09-03-2015 04:13 PM
    Premium

09-03-2015 10:17 PM
    The regular Z5. I've used almost all the flagships as my daily driver. HTC samsung Sony apple Motorola LG and yes I'm crazy like that. Anyways, the point is that even though I'm using a Note 4 right now and I love it, the Z2 and the Z3 has been one of my favourite phones ever.

I'm sorry but the cameras on Z2 and Z3 are better than Samsung galaxy note 4 and s6. I do a lot of phone photography and detailed editing so trust me I've tested these phones in detail. You can check my Instagram pictures for confirmation.

Besides the cameras being the best in the business (IMO), the battery life has been nothing but same. 7 hours of SOT was average! I've even gotten 9 hours of SOT on my Z3.

Don't get me started on the snappiness of the software experience on the z2 and the Z3. It's so fast! Faster than any other OEM I've used. Except HTC. HTC is fast as heck as well.

All Sony lacks is better marketing and an urge to earn profits. The pricing of the Z5 series is CRAZY! The specifications Z5 is offering on $650 range are being offered by Motorola at $400. And I've read somewhere that the premium version will even top the $1000 mark. That's crazy and stupid in this competitive market. They're not going to sell these phones this way.

In the age of curved 2k displays and extraordinary built and camera qualities Sony should either cut their prices or come up with something out of the ordinary.

As much as I LOVE Sony, and as much as I think the Z5 is thoroughly the most complete package industry has to offer, it's just too expensive.

09-04-2015 02:29 AM
    All Sony lacks is better marketing and an urge to earn profits. The pricing of the Z5 series is CRAZY! The specifications Z5 is offering on $650 range are being offered by Motorola at $400. And I've read somewhere that the premium version will even top the $1000 mark. That's crazy and stupid in this competitive market. They're not going to sell these phones this way.
    Those are the prices in the UK and Europe. US prices will be much, much cheaper as they always are. Example: Moto X Style is actually cheaper in the US than the Moto X Play is here in the UK - and the 2015 Motorola phones don't even come with a Turbo Charger included in the UK (not even the Style).

09-04-2015 03:08 AM
    Those are the prices in the UK and Europe. US prices will be much, much cheaper as they always are. Example: Moto X Style is actually cheaper in the US than the Moto X Play is here in the UK - and the 2015 Motorola phones don't even come with a Turbo Charger included in the UK (not even the Style).

US prices were revealed.
    And yes I'm sorry the premium version costs less than $700. $675 to be exact. The rest were stated correctly.

Still doesn't justify the high price mark I'm sorry.

09-04-2015 05:31 AM
    US prices were revealed.
    And yes I'm sorry the premium version costs less than $700. $675 to be exact. The rest were stated correctly.

Still doesn't justify the high price mark I'm sorry.

Is this considered very expensive (more so than other flagships) in the states? Because $700 for a 4k display would be a steal in Canada with the state of the dollar right now. The IPhone 6 starts at $839 and the 6 plus at $969. Then add all the taxes and you're looking at a huge investment.
    09-04-2015 08:29 AM
    Z5 Compact. I already felt with the HTC M7 I was pushing how large of a phone I wanted, and nowadays with the standard being 5.1-5.5 inch screens, the Compact is looking to be the hero in the market for those like me who are being left without choices of high quality phones.
    Cakefish likes this.
    09-04-2015 11:59 AM
    I'm sorry but the cameras on Z2 and Z3 are better than Samsung galaxy note 4 and s6. I do a lot of phone photography and detailed editing so trust me I've tested these phones in detail. You can check my Instagram pictures for confirmation.
    I'm assuming that since you do what you say you likely use your own custom settings in manual mode so I'll take your word for it. I never could take the time to learn advanced photo techniques so manual mode was out for me no matter how many photography buffs praised it. The problem here is that the new camera in the S6 and several other phones totally outclassed Xperia Z1-Z3 phones in doing what the rest of us average Joes do: point and shoot in Auto or prefab scene settings. And I think this is exactly why they finally got off their collective butts and put a new shooter in the Z5
    09-04-2015 07:52 PM
    Is this considered very expensive (more so than other flagships) in the states? Because $700 for a 4k display would be a steal in Canada with the state of the dollar right now. The IPhone 6 starts at $839 and the 6 plus at $969. Then add all the taxes and you're looking at a huge investment.
    Agreed. The iPhone 6+ 64GB and up models are monstrously expensive next to flagship Android phones. Sony is one of a very small group of phone makers whom I would pit against Apple for solid premium quality and reliability. Not every release though. This version looks like one of the good ones.
    09-04-2015 07:55 PM
    The premium is on my wish list.

09-06-2015 12:43 PM
    I have pre-ordered a premium. I don't care if it's 4K or not I just want the 5,5 inch screen. Oh and also the chrome looks so good!
    09-06-2015 05:29 PM
    I have pre-ordered a premium. I don't care if it's 4K or not I just want the 5,5 inch screen. Oh and also the chrome looks so good!
    After you pre-ordered did they drop the price or did you luck out and get it after?

09-06-2015 08:13 PM
    After you pre-ordered did they drop the price or did you luck out and get it after?

Well the release isn't until November. The price listed from where I ordered is the same that is listed by Sony.
    09-07-2015 09:39 AM
    The premium CAN have the premium price tag. I don't mind. But compare the regular Z5 with let's say, the Moto X, both offer similar specifications but a different price tag.

Flagship phones needs to have a flagship price tag, I agree. But Sony isn't doing well with their smartphones and I just want this issue to get resolved as I am probably the biggest Sony fan ever!

I see competitors stepping up their game and lowering the price tag for a reason. Their have been SO many good phones coming out recently and Manufactures have realized they're not going to survive unless they do something unique. Be it with their product or marketing.

Sony recently slashed their prices a bit. And that's a very good step. They listened to me I guess

09-08-2015 03:10 AM
    I'm assuming that since you do what you say you likely use your own custom settings in manual mode so I'll take your word for it. I never could take the time to learn advanced photo techniques so manual mode was out for me no matter how many photography buffs praised it. The problem here is that the new camera in the S6 and several other phones totally outclassed Xperia Z1-Z3 phones in doing what the rest of us average Joes do: point and shoot in Auto or prefab scene settings. And I think this is exactly why they finally got off their collective butts and put a new shooter in the Z5
    You're right. I used the manual mode when I had the Z3 and the Z2. But I must mention that this is the only thing I did. I never hindered in the settings and controlled the ISO or white balance. No I never did that. I only used manual mode to put in 20.7mp mode. I considered the manual mode as an auto mode for myself.

But yes. An average Joe would prefer the pictures that come out of other phones. They look better to the naked eye. But somebody who wants good quality; perfect amount of post processing, extreme detailed photos and quick focus capture then Sony would make them happier.

Let's see how the Z5 does.

09-08-2015 03:15 AM
    Z5 premium on mine!

Posted via My htc One M8
    09-08-2015 08:53 PM
    You're right. I used the manual mode when I had the Z3 and the Z2. But I must mention that this is the only thing I did. I never hindered in the settings and controlled the ISO or white balance. No I never did that. I only used manual mode to put in 20.7mp mode. I considered the manual mode as an auto mode for myself.

But yes. An average Joe would prefer the pictures that come out of other phones. They look better to the naked eye. But somebody who wants good quality; perfect amount of post processing, extreme detailed photos and quick focus capture then Sony would make them happier.

Let's see how the Z5 does.

I'm sorry, but that's nonsense. The z3 camera is garbage no matter how you process it. No amount of Photoshop CS or Lightroom can fix the chroma noise and lack of dynamic range that it outputs. Sure, they may look fine on Instagram, but no serious photographer is going to use that as a measuring stick.

The jury is still out on the Z5. Early shots look much batter than the Z3, but still behind Samsung and LG's recent offerings. We'll have to wait and see more side by side test to know for sure, though.
    09-10-2015 11:07 AM
39 12