This post really could be a reply to some of the other threads, but with so few, I thought I'd up the thread count :-)

My last 3 phones in just the last year: Moto G (v1) dual sim. One of the sim slots stopped working pretty quick and it won't do data now..still works as a basic phone so will be given away soon. Nokia Lumia 930. Bought in spite of all the reviews of overheating. Phone was exactly as bad, if not worse, than "advertised". It slow-roasted itself to the point the screen stopped accepting input. In the trash. Samsung S6 Active. I believe this is an AT&T only phone and is the reason why I will never ever ever EVER buy another Samsung phone (Just really dislike their version of Android) NOR be an AT&T customer again. Very short story, I just moved overseas and when I put in my AT&T unlock code, the phone bricked itself. AT&T was also VERY slow to provide updates. Only non-carrier fully unlocked phones for me from now on.

Which brings me to the Z5. I bought my girlfriend a Z3 last year and it has been rock solid. The best phone she has ever had (She really didn't want to get another Android phone). 0 Android lag after time and the perfect size. I hadn't kept up with Sony phones in the past 4 months so only knew about the issues with the Z3+. Walked in to the Sony store here (not sold anywhere else) and saw the Z5c and after a few questions went ahead and bought it. To me, it is a solid, great looking phone (although I have it in a nice cover) and is the perfect size.

As my name implies, I've been a Windows Phone user (had a Lumia 800 and 920 before the 930). Unfortunately, the lack of apps really hinders me using the phone as a tool. Had I been able to get my hands on a 950, I still would have had to make a tough decision..Go with the OS I really like and sacrifice having a fully functioning tool or go with an Android phone. No 950 here so no tough decision :-)

Tell you what, this phone stands a good chance of making me forget about a Windows Phone (at least while Microsoft figures out a solution or strategy to get apps on the platform AND put out a quality high-end phone). So far, it has been perfect and has met or exceeded all expectations. I was skeptical on the fingerprint sensor but it works flawlessly for me. I have all of my Microsoft services so it integrates well with how I use my other devices. Really pleased.

Here is the bad news for Sony Xperia fans.... just look at the number of threads in this and the other Xperia phone sections. If that is indicative of their overall sales, these phones may go extinct soon which would be a real shame.

Enjoy your Z5C's!
    12-15-2015 08:43 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Glad you're liking your Z5 Compact. It always seems that Sony makes great hardware, but can't figure out how to market it and increase its mass appeal. I've also been worried about the constant possibility that Sony might suddenly exit the mobile market. Let's hope they can keep things afloat!
    raqball likes this.
    12-15-2015 11:29 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Glad you're liking your Z5 Compact. It always seems that Sony makes great hardware, but can't figure out how to market it and increase its mass appeal. I've also been worried about the constant possibility that Sony might suddenly exit the mobile market. Let's hope they can keep things afloat!
    sadly..I think the day is not too far.. ..given the lack of any interest to sell.. people barely take note of the xperia devices.. majority are caught up with apple Samsung euphoria.

AC@OPO
    12-16-2015 09:30 AM
    It's been that way with Sony for a while now.. When I had the Z3 there was little to no traffic in that forum and the Z3C was the same..

At least the Z3 and Z3C could be purchased direct from Sony here in the USA and that is not even an option for the Z5 or the Z5C.. It looks like Sony has completely given up on the US market..

The Z3 was available on T-Mobile but I went into a store one day to check it out and it was not on display. When I asked the guy about it, he was clueless and said he needed to see if they had any. After a while he came out and said they had one in stock and it was in the back. Verizon sold a different version of the Z3 that was an ugly disaster.

I don't think I've ever seen a Sony phone commercial here in the US. Apple and Samsung commercial are everywhere and their devices are up front and on display in every US carrier retail store..

I hope Sony survives as I don't mind having to import the phones but seeing how they've now abandoned the US market I wonder which markets are next...
    12-16-2015 09:53 AM
    sadly..I think the day is not too far.. ..given the lack of any interest to sell.. people barely take note of the xperia devices.. majority are caught up with apple Samsung euphoria.

I think so....maybe that will change with the *hopefully upcoming* Z6/Z7
    12-16-2015 10:35 AM
    Part of the problem are the so called 'professional' or 'expert' reviews. They are almost clueless in my opinion. It's like they used the phone for a day before writing their review and many of these reviews are spec warrior based.

The Z5C only has a 720p screen? Slam it even though it's perfectly fine for a phone this size. It only has 2GB of RAM? Slam it because the Z5 has 3.. Rinse, lather, rinse and repeat...

The Z5C is easily the best phone I've ever owned so when I read the 'expert' reviews I shake my head. Spec warriors will never change their opinion because they buy based on specs and noting less.
    12-16-2015 10:53 AM
    This all sounds strangely similar to the BB forum. BB has been leaving the phone market for years now and only just recently began to offer an android device (Priv). It's a brick of a thing imo but I'm partial to a smaller form.

From what little I know the N.A. market is relatively small compared to Europe and Asia and if Sony continues to develop quality alternative devices to apple and samsung the future of Sony phones is secure for a while to come.

just my .02
    12-16-2015 11:04 AM
    Yes the US market is small when compared to other regions in the world but their lack of any presence here is telling.. I don't think Sony is doing very well globally as they are even on record as saying the phone division might not survive..
    12-16-2015 11:36 AM
    Yes the US market is small when compared to other regions in the world but their lack of any presence here is telling.. I don't think Sony is doing very well globally as they are even on record as saying the phone division might not survive..
    oh dear - I probably would have still bought the Z5c had i known this but I'm sad to hear another fine option to apple and samsung in trouble.

When considering new phones it didn't take me long to figure out that the Z5c was ideal for me. If BB had a smaller form factor android device I would have stayed with BB. I hope very much companies like Sony and BB survive in the phone market. A world where samsung and apple rule supreme would be a very bleak place.

again just my .02
    raqball likes this.
    12-16-2015 12:45 PM
    I think Sony will be fine short term as they are steadily progressing on their Marshmallow concept that hopefully will be released next year for our devices..

It will be interesting to see if any rumors surface about a Z6 though. If none do then that might be the writing on the wall....
    12-16-2015 12:57 PM
    I think Sony will be fine short term as they are steadily progressing on their Marshmallow concept that hopefully will be released next year for our devices..

It will be interesting to see if any rumors surface about a Z6 though. If none do then that might be the writing on the wall....
    Since I'm just a Android Central newbie, I can't post links, but do a google search on xperia z6. For me, the top result is a techradar article from a couple days ago that talks about a possibly upcoming Z6 maybe by June.
    12-16-2015 07:26 PM
    Part of the problem are the so called 'professional' or 'expert' reviews. They are almost clueless in my opinion. It's like they used the phone for a day before writing their review and many of these reviews are spec warrior based.

The Z5C only has a 720p screen? Slam it even though it's perfectly fine for a phone this size. It only has 2GB of RAM? Slam it because the Z5 has 3.. Rinse, lather, rinse and repeat...

The Z5C is easily the best phone I've ever owned so when I read the 'expert' reviews I shake my head. Spec warriors will never change their opinion because they buy based on specs and noting less.
    android hardware has always been specs war for the most part. unfortunately most reviewers who are supposedly geeky are also in a similar frame of mind contributing to the problem.. very few companies have got it right in designing a complete package that offers everything without skimping or going overboard.

AC@OPO
    12-17-2015 03:37 AM