rev# and 810 version

North60

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
So the mail came today and I'm very pleased with the new phone so far.

The rev# is 1. Does this mean this phone is not the updated 810?

The si# is 1297-9958 if that helps any.

North60

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
After a bit of sleuthing this 810 MSM8994 processor is apparently only v2.0

:(

Would have been nice to get the updated version but coming from the 9350 this phone is in a different universe. Still, if i do only have the 2.0 it sorta bugs me to pay +++$$$ for a problematic processor.

*problematic in that it might overheat - from what i read the processor is a 'beast' it just needs some work

Last edited:

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

:(

Would have been nice to get the updated version but coming from the 9350 this phone is in a different universe. Still, if i do only have the 2.0 it sorta bugs me to pay +++$$$ for a problematic processor.

*problematic in that it might overheat - from what i read the processor is a 'beast' it just needs some work

may I ask exactly how you figured out the version of the chip?

AC@OPO

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
As far as I am aware there is no way to tell for sure... The processor is identified exactly same in the phone settings regardless of it's the updated one or not..

I don't think any Z5C's got the OG 810 (I guess a few of the early, early devices could have) but it's my understanding they all should have the updated 810.

If the phone is fine and does not overheat then it's really irrelevant which it has. I think the difference between rev 1 and rev 2 is that with the rev 2's they changed something to do with the internal cooling of the unit.

Again, I could be wrong as there really is not much info out there..

An example as to why there is really no way to tell is that my phone is a rev 2 but the device shows the exact same processor info (MSM8994) as yours.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
As far as I am aware there is no way to tell for sure... The processor is identified exactly same in the phone settings regardless of it's the updated one or not..

I don't think any Z5C's got the OG 810 (I guess a few of the early, early devices could have) but it's my understanding they all should have the updated 810.

If the phone is fine and does not overheat then it's really irrelevant which it has. I think the difference between rev 1 and rev 2 is that with the rev 2's they changed something to do with the internal cooling of the unit.

An example as to why there is really no way to tell is that my phone is a rev 2 but the device shows the exact same processor info (MSM8994) as yours.

I kind of agree with you.. I checked anandtech just few mins ago.. and there is no way to determine the variant unless they included the info in the compilation files which contains this info.. with that said doubt sony would do that as z4 (z3+) which was plagued by heat issues started using 2.1..why would they go back?..

AC@OPO

North60

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site

I'm not a heavy user...yet...so the heat thing might not be a big deal but this ambiguity is somewhat reassuring.

again this Z5c is exactly what i was after - other than i can't get rid of acuweather yet

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a heavy user...yet...so the heat thing might not be a big deal but this ambiguity is somewhat reassuring.

again this Z5c is exactly what i was after - other than i can't get rid of acuweather yet

hopefully it should be fine.. I'll be getting mine tomorrow :).. in general howz the snappiness.. all good?

AC@OPO

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Mine is fast and snappy.. I did ditch the Sony Home launcher and I use the Google Now launcher instead.. I also deleted and disabled a bunch of the apps and processes I'd never use..

I am still 100% thrilled with this phone.. Mine gets warm every now and then depending on what I am doing but it's never gotten hot..

It's a fantastic phone and I have zero complaints with it..

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
For what it's worth, here is everything that I have disabled. I deleted what I could but didn't keep track of what was deleted. I use Google services when they are available so that why I have many of the Sony services disabled.

Screenshot_2015_12_18_19_09_16.png

Screenshot_2015_12_18_19_09_26.png

Screenshot_2015_12_18_19_09_35.png

Screenshot_2015_12_18_19_09_43.png

Screenshot_2015_12_18_19_09_49.png

Screenshot_2015_12_18_19_09_57.png

Screenshot_2015_12_18_19_10_03.png

Screenshot_2015_12_18_19_10_11.png

Screenshot_2015_12_18_19_10_17.png

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
just got my phone! went through two updates and several app updates.. the phone has slightly gotten warm.. but that's about it.. looking good so far!.. also got rev#1 is it helps.. looks like a keeper so far!

AC@OPO

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah that's the only time mine gets warm as well... Make sure you open the Sony What's New app and get all the updates including the camera update...

SX75C

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
yuebeie, i sent mine back to the retailer after speaking to sony to resolve camera issues I had with the black Rev2. The replacement they want to send is a white rev1 model. do you have an opinion? I cant find any factual info as to what if any differences are between Rev1 and Rev 2 however generally a revised version of something is better or they wouldnt have bothered revising it

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
yuebeie, i sent mine back to the retailer after speaking to sony to resolve camera issues I had with the black Rev2. The replacement they want to send is a white rev1 model. do you have an opinion? I cant find any factual info as to what if any differences are between Rev1 and Rev 2 however generally a revised version of something is better or they wouldnt have bothered revising it

unfortunately not.. this info is unavailable.. so it's a tough one.. with that said.. I've read several places that the white models were initially affected by touchscreen issues.. but a software update apparently fixes it.. so I guess you'll be fine... may I ask what issues you faced with the camera? I'd like to run some tests on mine too.. haven't had a chance yet.. thx

AC@OPO

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
There is very little info about the difference between rev 1 and rev 2. It's my understanding that it had to do with internal cooling of the unit but this is just a guess based on the limited info that's out there..

I also read somewhere that the rev # was based on the devices region but I do not believe that as the SI# already identifies the region..

Someone from Sony would know but I doubt a low level support rep would..

Last edited:

SX75C

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Cheers guys, retailer refunded me and i managed to sort another Rev 2 black from JB hifi runs better than last one not heating up at all. Camera works sweet. Looks like its going to be ok. I read that about the rev no. too but as you said not necessary if thats what the SI code means

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Cheers guys, retailer refunded me and i managed to sort another Rev 2 black from JB hifi runs better than last one not heating up at all. Camera works sweet. Looks like its going to be ok. I read that about the rev no. too but as you said not necessary if thats what the SI code means

nice! I guess.. there are some major qa issues.. given that there are some rev1 and some rev2 units that are causing problems.. this has come down to pure luck.. unfortunately.
my rev1 unit is doing fine so far 2 days into use.. the max temp I've seen it hit is 42 Celsius.. that was after an extremely large 4gb download in the background with app updates in the foreground.. i think that's not bad.. also psychologically.. we would be more inclined to doubt the heat.. because of the experiences other shared...Funny thing.. my wife's iphone 6 heats up as well..but she doesn't even bother.. sometimes ignorance is bliss! gives you peace of mind :D

AC@OPO

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Funny thing.. my wife's iphone 6 heats up as well..but she doesn't even bother.. sometimes ignorance is bliss! gives you peace of mind

BINGO!

All newer smartphones heat up.. iPhones, S6, Notes, HTC ect.. Some people make a major deal over it and others will never even notice it.

My Z5C stays amazing cool most of the time. It only gets warm during heavy usage even then, it's never gotten what I'd consider to be hot..

I think the heat issue is overblown. These are very powerful devices that rival some PC's, they have no fan for cooling and yet they still do amazingly well...