Xperia Z5 Compact: unable to unlock Bootloader (fastboot.exe: unknown option --i)

tomboudiboudi

Jun 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone :)

I message you today beacause I've tried (nearly ^^) everything I could to unlock my Sony Xperia Z5 Compact's Bootloader, without any success!...

ADB actually find my Xperia, I run:

adb reboot bootloader

and my Xperia goes right into Fastboot mod (blue led), confirmed by:

fastboot devices

but when I run:

fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0x"my Sony unlock code"

the comand line answer back "fastboot.exe: unknown option -- i"...

I dug the web to find a similar case, without any success... did I miss something?

If someone has encountered this problem before, he'll be welcome to share is knowledges :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You said you're running fastboot.exe -i but the error is unknown option -- i. Do you see the difference? You're running fastboot.exe --i - two dashes.

Bye the way, fastboot is enough, you don't have to specify fastboot.exe in a command prompt. if there's a fastboot.exe and no fastboot.com, fastboot.exe will run.

And have you read https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/unlock-bootloader/? You have to unlock it in debug first.

tomboudiboudi

Jun 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi Rukbat and thanks for answering,

As you could see in the screenshot, I've tried all options for the dash...
Capture.JPG
Ok, thanks for the advice.

Yes, I've followed this guide, without any success. And obviously, my Xperia is in debug mode.

xz1c

Jun 27, 2018
Visit site
Hey, I got the same problem right now with my xz1 compact and this was the only thread I could find about it...if you find a solution please let me know

lkleen

Jun 27, 2018
Visit site
Hey, I got the same problem right now with my xz1 compact and this was the only thread I could find about it...if you find a solution please let me know

Same issue with Xperia XZ1 Compact here. Are you also using Windows 10 1803 ?

lkleen

Jun 27, 2018
Visit site
got it
#1 start the phone in normal mode 'allow unlocking' must be set in the debug settings page
#2 platform-tools v 28.0.0 does not work with the provided command from the official manual. download https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools_r26.0.2-windows.zip instead
#3 Windows should recognize the device as 'Android Bootloader Interface'

PS C:\Users\LARS-DESKTOP\Downloads\platform-tools_r26.0.2-windows\platform-tools> ./fastboot -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0x<unlock code>
OKAY [ 0.460s]
finished. total time: 0.462s

Mauricio Siviero

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
got it
#1 start the phone in normal mode 'allow unlocking' must be set in the debug settings page
#2 platform-tools v 28.0.0 does not work with the provided command from the official manual. download https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools_r26.0.2-windows.zip instead

PS C:\Users\LARS-DESKTOP\Downloads\platform-tools_r26.0.2-windows\platform-tools> ./fastboot -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0x<unlock code>
OKAY [ 0.460s]
GREAT.... fastboot R26 works fine for me! Thank you!!

Andy Woods1

Oct 9, 2018
Visit site
Just been struggling with this myself.

Simple option with R28 where there does not seem to be an -i option is to do fastboot devices which gives the USB device ID

Then use command: fastboot -s USB_device_id oem unlock 0xUnlockCodeHere

NagiAlyxAlba

Nov 6, 2018
Visit site
got it

OKAY [ 0.460s]

I was really glad to find a guide to finally solve this problem and it appeared it was going to work with my Z2 but when I ran the code it sent me this reply "... FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 5.006s"...
I really don´t know what else to try, do anyone have any ideas please?

amin bazrafkan

Jan 1, 2019
Visit site
I was really glad to find a guide to finally solve this problem and it appeared it was going to work with my Z2 but when I ran the code it sent me this reply "... FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))

amin bazrafkan

Jan 1, 2019
Visit site

Hey hello
I tried all the ways that I told friends and none of them worked
Please try it out. Worked for me

fastboot oem unlock 0x(my unlock code)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 4

google avoider lol

May 7, 2021
Visit site
None of these fixes worked for me... in a way. With the right tools and commands, I've managed to run the command without any syntax errors. But I'm still getting a "< waiting for any device >" error.
I've already tried the fixes for this, using USB 2.0, a good cable, and 2 methods of updating my drivers. Still the same error.

google avoider lol

May 7, 2021
Visit site
I just tried using the Sony mobile Flashtool by Androxyde and received this error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "String.split(String)" because the return value of "java.util.Properties.getProperty(String)" is null .
After all the trouble getting the device to be seen on a bootloader level (even though everything else works) I'm convinced there's something wrong with it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just tried using the Sony mobile Flashtool by Androxyde and received this error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "String.split(String)" because the return value of "java.util.Properties.getProperty(String)" is null .
After all the trouble getting the device to be seen on a bootloader level (even though everything else works) I'm convinced there's something wrong with it.
Hi, welcome to AC!

You can try XDA Forums and see what they think

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084