How difficult is it to remove the Sony installed screen protector?

giper54

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I put screen protectors on any phone I own. I ordered the ZL but I am afraid that I will wreck the display taking off Sony's installed screen protector. Has anyone had any problems removing this or damaged their display? Any tips for easy removal?

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It isn't difficult at all. I've taken mine off. If your going to put another film on it, though, it seems to be a good idea to keep the original until it is scratched and worn, warranting replacement. I've found it (original film) to be scratch-prone, but I work in a environment so harsh and dusty, I doubt many smart phones are ever exposed to anything near what mine has to survive.

I'm using mine without any screen protector at all. I tried other stick-on protectors, including the one that came with my latest case, and they are either easy to scratch, foul-up the image quality too much or won't get clean enough even using Windex. I'm now on glass, and I'm much happier. I just use an Incipio dual-pro for protection, and have decided to take my chances with the screen. I used an Otterbox defender on my last phone, but I'm no longer willing to live with the added bulk, and no longer want to lose the enjoyment of my screen. If the protection kills the viewing quality of my screen, why bother protecting at all? My old phone died with a perfect screen, and I spent 2 years looking at that wonderful screen through scratched plastic with bad contrast. The sacrifice did not reward me very much. A still pristine screen on a dead phone is still useless.

"We only live once, but not going outside to live longer/safer does not mean a better/more enjoyable life."
?Unknown?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I put screen protectors on any phone I own. I ordered the ZL but I am afraid that I will wreck the display taking off Sony's installed screen protector. Has anyone had any problems removing this or damaged their display? Any tips for easy removal?

I wouldn't advise removing it unless you're having a specific problem with the protector itself. I attempted to remove it on our review unit (not knowing its meant to be permanent) and had a hell of a time doing it cleanly. The protector will surely scratch more easily than the glass would, but Sony pre-installs them like this because they're meant to help keep the screen safe and reduce the chance that it cracks or shatters. Because the protector isn't supposed to be removed the screen has no oleophobic properties either, so you'd have to put your own protector on afterwards which will never have the same fit-and-finish of the pre-installed one.

I'd say just keep the stock one on there, and if it gets beat up or scratched and you want to replace it with another, deal with that when it happens. There are a few tutorial videos out there of it being removed, but they're a bit painful to watch as they require the use of an Xacto knife...

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I removed mine by first lifting a corner near the speaker. It took some patience to start it, but once I had peeled a sufficiently long piece of it, I grabbed it between thumb and finger just like anyone would, and slowly peeled it off in one stroke. The plastic is relatively strong, and does not seem to stretch to any noticeable degree during the process. Just as the guy does in the Youtube video linked below, though he had obviously pre-started his removal prior to what is shown.

I then cleaned my screen with a paper towel soaked with plain old Windex. The screen still showed minor resistance to finger glides, so I repeated the operation and was rewarded with smooth glides and a scratch-free screen. I used no knife, no box-cutter and no razor blade. It did not damage anything, but it seriously improved both the visual experience and the finger interaction with my device.

peeling Xperia video.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I didn't have any problems taking the screen protector of the ion. My only worry is the new development of Sony putting the logo on the screen protector like they did on the Z, supposedly. I don't think it's an issue on the ZL, though.

Sent from my Sony Xperia P

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
My only worry is the new development of Sony putting the logo on the screen protector like they did on the Z
I can't see how this should worry you... I hardly think logos matter to most users. I could be wrong, of course.. ( I know, some people actually purchase certain brands' logo stickers to put on they're cars, but I think this is a minority.)

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but, a company would have to pay me some serious money to have they're brand on anything of mine! I don't like being treated like a billboard, nor do I like my devices to "scream" their model and make. Given the option at purchase, I would actually prefer a phone that does not have the bloody logo on it. But, that's me.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I can't see how this should worry you... I hardly think logos matter to most users. I could be wrong, of course.. ( I know, some people actually purchase certain brands' logo stickers to put on they're cars, but I think this is a minority.)

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but, a company would have to pay me some serious money to have they're brand on anything of mine! I don't like being treated like a billboard, nor do I like my devices to "scream" their model and make. Given the option at purchase, I would actually prefer a phone that does not have the bloody logo on it. But, that's me.

I would just like the phone to look the way it is supposed to, and to me if the anti shatter sheet takes the logo away it ruins that.

Sent from my Sony Xperia P

Last edited:

1x250

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site

Tahts the reason I'd like to remove screen film - to get rid of that logo. All blacked out phone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams