Sony Xperia ZL - MHL to HDMI Issues

Sinabu

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else tried using an MHL to HDMI cable to output to a TV?

I got my cable in yesterday and was unable to get anything to work.

Plugged everything up (HDMI, USB Power and Plug to Phone) The phone senses that the MHL cable is connected. The Sony Smart Connect Turns on Wifi and Tries to Launch "TV Launcher" but that's when things just go weird. The screen rotates when the Smart Connect is trying to do it's thing. The phone vibrates once every 3-4 seconds and that's it. The "MHL Connected" Pops up in the notification bar repeatedly and I get a black screen with an unresponsive touch touch/home buttons. Once I unplug the cable it goes back to normal.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: MHL to HDMI Issues

Hmmm...is your TV 1920x1080? Also, some phones have a setting to "mirror to TV", does yours, if so, is it enabled? Forgive what may seem like obvious questions, just trying to think it through.

Sinabu

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

The TV I tried it on was only a 720P tv. It ran late last night but I will try it on my newer living room tv tonight. its a 1080p.

The option for screen mirroring is there but from what I can tell it's looking for some form of wireless display as it does a search when enabled and then just says no devices found.

Cale M

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't expect this to work, but figured it was worth a shot. Under SETTINGS -> XPERIA -> USB CONNECTIVITY -> USB CONNECTION MODE, do you have Media Transfer Mode (MTP) enabled, or Mass Storage Mode (MSC)?

I'll be shocked if that's the issue, though. You'd think Smart Connect would be smart enough to ignore that. And, yeah, Mirroring is intended for wireless connectivity.

Cale M

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

Dang. No solution yet?

I'm wondering why Smart Connect is getting involved at all. Its devices seem limited to Bluetooth, WiFi and Bravia-specific wireless screen mirroring. Do you have any Smart Connect events active at the moment?

Sinabu

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

I use the NFC tags but I turned all those off during testing

When you plug the cable into the phone. Smart Connect runs an Event. 1 Wifi On, 2 Launch "TV Launcher" What happens then is the phone just spazzes out. It goes back and forth from landscape/portrait mode, The screen goes black with the Smart Connect message repeating, Wifi On , TV Launcher, In the notification area at the top I also see "MHL Connected" at the top and it spazzes out appearing multiple times. The entire time the phone just vibrates every 2-3 Seconds.

As soon as you unplug the cable it all goes back to normal.

I wanted to try and just open TV Launcher thinking maybe the software is screwed up but there are no icons for it. I can see it in the Settings -> App List under all apps/processes but no way to manually launch it or uninstall/reinstall the app etc.

Everything else on the phone seems to work fine.

Cale M

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

Just checking to see if you've come up with a resolution for this issue. I have to admit, the only time I ever used my BBRY's dedicated HDMI port was to go "Hey, nifty. It works."

And then I never used it again. But that's just me. I still haven't tried it with the Xperia.

Given all of the issues you've had with the phone, are you still happy with it? Being one of the posters who recomended that you get it, I'd feel a little guilty if you were dissapointed.

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

MHL is a half-brained wanna -be standard. Samsung 's implementation isn't compatible with the rest. If you use a Samsung cable with a different make of phone/TV, you could be in trouble.

I have purchased a MHL cable, and it works fine with my 8 year old Sony LCD, which got built prior to MHL being introduced. While at the store to purchase this cable, I tired it with all the cheaper models of TVs, to make sure it would work with older tech, and tried it on a few top-of-the-line jumbos TVs. It works with every TV set out there.

My guess is that you bought the wrong type of cable. Exchange it for a different type/make.

I love using that cable. Streaming and music playback works splendidly, and although I have a good, solid streamer in the living room, the phone allows me to have the same functionality for the price of a cable in other rooms, and when visiting family members. It's great for impromptu family picture sideshows.

Sinabu

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

I swapped it out and still no luck. This cable I got was made for the ZL but it doesn't appear to work on any of my TV's. The phone just goes all wonky when it's plugged up.

I'm hoping that screen sharing will be added with 4.4 and the chromecast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance