Any Golfers here?

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I recently started getting into Golf. Purchased a starter set in May and have been practicing.

So if you golf, where do you go? Any good tips welcome.

Also list some App's (If any) on the market good for golfers.

SpartanDroid

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
If you want a GPS or something like that for your phone, the one I use that is free is freecaddie. It gives you front, middle, and back distances from where you are at and some hazards. For a free application this is one of the best ones I have found because it has so many courses in it. I haven't tested any that cost money but I have heard that skydroid (i believe that is the name) is very good. The PGA rules would be a very good app to have too. It isn't free but if you were looking to have an on hand rule book if you aren't too familiar this would really help.

Those are the only golf apps that I have. I haven't really looked into anything else. There is so much to learn for golf. If you are just starting out I would suggest trying to get lessons or try to have someone to teach you because it takes a lot of practice and time. If you can get help that will make things so much easier.

I would suggest maybe going outside and setting your phone up and taking slow motion videos so you can analyze your swing or compare it to other videos online. This will allow you to see ways to improve your swing and all your flaws.

I hope this helps a little. There is just so much to know for golf that its hard to even touch on anything.

NVNJ

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I play golf. Or shall say "I attempt to play Golf" Because I really blow. I started playing like 2 years ago. I enjoy it. Goof reason to get out with the boys and race golf carts while throwing back some brews :) ) )

Robd1

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I play golf. Some may call me a golfaholic. I use freecaddie pro, it cost 14.95 on appbrain. A top app for golfers. Try it.

Evo + Golf a winning combination.

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
FreeCaddie better than skydroid? Skydroid is kind of nice, it is cheap. It is all a matter of what courses are mapped, and it will allow you to map new courses from google maps.

I have played frequently in the past, and now play as often as time allows. I'm still a decent player and have played for 17 years and I'm still under 30...

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
A few tips for other folks that I say:

1) Play your own game when playing. Others have different skills.
2) Hit the ball in the fairway. If you aren't hitting the ball straight, work to get it straight on the range, and concentrate on that. It goes a long ways
3) Once you find a putter you like, stick with it. I've spent $100 on a putter before, and my longest lasting one is a used $10 putter that I bought 5 years ago. I doubt I will get anything different.
4) I also usually say to get a rythm with your swing, I usually go for a "tic-toc" approach, where your back swing goes back at a nice tempo with the forward swing as well.

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see a few replies! Thanks for the Info on the apps as well. I will def. be checking them out. Two of my brother in laws play almost every week, one which has helped me out and wants to continue to help me out so I look foward to getting some pointers. I had been constantly slicing the ball. Like you said GolpherZX straighter golf is better golf. I can hit it decently far with this beginner driver but having trouble keeping it stright until yesterday when I tried something I found on a Youtube video. I changed my stance up a little and now it seems I may have found good posture and swing.

@OlDeSt Where do you golf? Marine, Dyker Park? Im from Bensonhurst. Any good tips on those courses? I've yet to step foot on a Course, only going to the range until I feel I am ready and able to hit consistently straight. And the racing golf Carts sounds awesome!!!

Bob Sugar

May 31, 2010
Visit site
golf is a great and humbling game.

my problem is i don't have enough time with work to play enough, and i get very pissed off when doing something and not performing how i know i can. it is a vicious cycle that only fuels my temper.

only tip i can give

Take a lesson or lessons, you will NOT regret it

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I play at the local public course. Being in Florida... there are tons. This one is well kept and has enough variety (27 holes). They rotate them 3 9-hole courses. Players playing 18 go on two, and the other course is reserved for those playing just 9. Its quite beautiful cause one of the courses is on a river (actually called the River course... who knew!). and the other two are just as nice, but are inland more. Of course, with the timing, its light late and they have a ridiculous discount for after 3pm golfers.

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I recently started getting into Golf. Purchased a starter set in May and have been practicing.

So if you golf, where do you go? Any good tips welcome.

Also list some App's (If any) on the market good for golfers.

Definitely take a lesson or two. PGA professionals can help you get good habits early before bad habits set in. Trust me... Just go out and have fun. You don't have to wait until your driving perfectly straight (just look at Tiger Woods c-: ). I wouldn't worry about getting a golf gps program yet. Until you know exactly how far you hit your irons consistently, you won't get any use out of it, other than the novelty of having one. Have fun and keep your head down!
-Shane

Last edited:

conman1395

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Been golfing since i was about five. Played in some tournies when i was younger as well. However, i dont play all that much anymore.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

fierro951

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Live at the range for a few months. Golf is kinda addicting though, so be prepared.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
What? . . there wasn't any Ryder Cup wagering?! :0 And subsequent lamenting? :( The way the three days turned-out . . sickened me so much . . . I still haven't watched my DVR recordings of Sat. & Sun. :(

Life long golfer here; sometimes off & on, but will always love the game more than any other. 'The Greatest Game Ever Played', and ever invented by mankind. :cool:

Now, if I can just keep my wife from beating me! :'(