Broken screen - any way to redirect screen output?

svx

Jun 7, 2010
www.isv-knights.org
Title says it all. I dropped the phone and the screen broke. It still boots and is receiving emails, etc. Sprint is replacing it on Tuesday. In the meantime, is there any way to redirect the output of the Epic to a computer screen? I am running the ACE 2.0 rom with CW3. I just want to make a quick data backup if possible using My Backup. If not, could someone please provide me the step by step instructions for making a backup in CW3 (ie volume down 3 times, press camera key, volume down two times, press camera key, etc, etc - keeping in mind I am doing this blind). I can then dump it to the memory card. I have most apps backup with AppBrain, but my data is a month or so old.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hang tight I will write you up something in a few...

Edit: Here ya go...

Once you believe your booted into CWM...

Press Volume Down x 5 (This puts you at the Backup/Restore Option)

Press Camera x 1 (Enter/Selects Backup/Restore)

Now your at the Nandroid Backup/Restore Section

First prompt your automatically at is Backup

Press Camera x 1 (Enter/Starts the backup)

Sit back for about a good 5 minutes or so to make sure your backup is complete.

Press Camera x 1 (This should reboot your system if your backup is complete)

Once your done with that I would grab Odin and flash your system back to stock. That will be easy since all you need to do is enter download mode and Odin will tell you if your connected and handle the rest for you. Once you get the green pass saying Odin is done then just listen for it to reboot (Sammy boot up music) and your good to go until you get to Sprint. They ask, hey it must of reset/glitched itself from the drop... What do you know.. Right?

Hope this help svx!

Paul.

Last edited:
Reactions: svx

svx

Jun 7, 2010
www.isv-knights.org
Blind backup worked like a charm. Will ODIN back to EC05 tonight. Thanks again Paul.

Does anyone know if you can open the CW backup files to retrieve apk's and/or data? Not tried it yet. If not, no biggy. Can always go back to my ACE backup and do a My Backup backup and then go to Gingerbread.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Blind backup worked like a charm. Will ODIN back to EC05 tonight. Thanks again Paul.

Does anyone know if you can open the CW backup files to retrieve apk's and/or data? Not tried it yet. If not, no biggy. Can always go back to my ACE backup and do a My Backup backup and then go to Gingerbread.
No you can't open the CWM backup files, its a bit by bit backup made into an image file of your system from what I understand.

Maybe someone that really knows what they're doing might be able to pick it apart but to you and me, probably more a headache than its worth...

Glad the blind backup worked for ya !

Reactions: svx

svx

Jun 7, 2010
www.isv-knights.org
Back up and running on my replacement EPIC with ACE 2.0.

Must give mad props out to the Sprint store at Madison east in WI. The manager (Kevin) and team and went the extra mile to keep my business! Because they could not repair my phone in house, they simply swapped it out altogether. Kudos!

bladeap

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hang tight I will write you up something in a few...

Edit: Here ya go...

Once you believe your booted into CWM...

Press Volume Down x 5 (This puts you at the Backup/Restore Option)

Press Camera x 1 (Enter/Selects Backup/Restore)

Now your at the Nandroid Backup/Restore Section

First prompt your automatically at is Backup

Press Camera x 1 (Enter/Starts the backup)

Sit back for about a good 5 minutes or so to make sure your backup is complete.

Press Camera x 1 (This should reboot your system if your backup is complete)

Once your done with that I would grab Odin and flash your system back to stock. That will be easy since all you need to do is enter download mode and Odin will tell you if your connected and handle the rest for you. Once you get the green pass saying Odin is done then just listen for it to reboot (Sammy boot up music) and your good to go until you get to Sprint. They ask, hey it must of reset/glitched itself from the drop... What do you know.. Right?

Hope this help svx!

Paul.

Well, something very similar happen to me about 5 minutes ago...where my epic fell out of my pocket onto concrete and the lcd is just a black screen and random pixels. It still boots, I can still answer calls....and boot on.

I'm on the CM9 ICS rom (used CWM5). the biggest problem is that, I havent called sprint yet (and i do not have a hardware warranty for my epic anymore). but just in in case that they do wanna give me a new phone or attempt to fix my phone...I would need it on stock correct? Any suggestions on what to do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt