The epic and water balloons!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
My daughter has gone through multiple gameboys, laptops, cameras and phones killing each one with water, cokes and lemonade. When she turned 15, I hoped she would be more careful so I bought her an epic because she liked mine. It's been over a half year and I thought my luck had run out. She we to a birthday BBQ and when she went in the back yard, she was bombarded by water balloons. Needless to say the phone went dead. When she got home and told me, I took out the battery, put the phone in a bowl of rice and placed it on the back seat of my car. Being in texas has it's advantages, it was close to 115 inside my locked up car. When I took the rice and phone out of the car 10 hours later, the phone worked fine. I was shocked and very happy. I guess my luck is still hanging in there.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Never heard of the rice trick but now that I think about it that probably really helps draw the moisture out and get rid of it.

Nice tip Keith ;)

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Rice, instant oatmeal, a shoebox of those silicon packets that seem to come with everything. The important thing when dealing with potential water damage is to GET THE BATTERY OUT. Water will generally not damage electronics, unless they are energized when wet. Then you get things shorting out...

A word of caution: deposits left by hard water after it's evaporated out may shorten the life of the pcb's in the device. It may work fine now, but in another year or so, it may start to become unstable. I guess in a world of phones that get replaced every year or two, this isn't much of a problem.

eze036

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
lol...yea another trick is to put it in cat liter..my phone was on the table and it was on vibrate someone called and it vibrated off the table into the dog bowl put it into cat liter and it works fine

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
My daughter has gone through multiple gameboys, laptops, cameras and phones killing each one with water, cokes and lemonade. When she turned 15, I hoped she would be more careful so I bought her an epic because she liked mine. It's been over a half year and I thought my luck had run out. She we to a birthday BBQ and when she went in the back yard, she was bombarded by water balloons. Needless to say the phone went dead. When she got home and told me, I took out the battery, put the phone in a bowl of rice and placed it on the back seat of my car. Being in texas has it's advantages, it was close to 115 inside my locked up car. When I took the rice and phone out of the car 10 hours later, the phone worked fine. I was shocked and very happy. I guess my luck is still hanging in there.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

As another poster mentioned over time the device might crap out due to the left over chemicals from the water. most tap water or hard water has a tendency to corrode electronics over time.
Anytime we get a liquid damaged device in our shop we use 99.99% Isopropyl Alcohlo. We take small paint brushes and basically wash the board and all contact / connector points, then air dry and re-assemble and test.

We only do that for customer requests. I have a firm shop policy to NOT sell any device that has had past liquid damage for fear it will crap out on them sooner then it should. But if a device is brought to me we will clean the heck out of it for them.

Just food for thought.
Also remember (Im in Texas Too.) when you put a device in a car in our heat, make sure its not in direct sun light. Especially on the LCD. It can cause it to over heat and crack.

Glad to see its working.