Epic 4G USB Tethering

cytark

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey there. I have a question about the Epic 4G and Sprint if anyone's willing to answer.

Plugging my Epic 4G (stock 2.2) into my PC, I get the option to select one of the modes: charging, mass storage, and tethering. Would USB tethering like this cost money? (not pdanet or easy tether)
I currently do not have the $30 WiFi Hotspot plan

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey there. I have a question about the Epic 4G and Sprint if anyone's willing to answer.

Plugging my Epic 4G (stock 2.2) into my PC, I get the option to select one of the modes: charging, mass storage, and tethering. Would USB tethering like this cost money? (not pdanet or easy tether)

Your use of "like this" is tricky... The one you mentioned that you loaded, yes you need the $30 plan. pdanet and easy tether do not need the $30 plan. You can also use other apps like wifi tether to tether or you can also use Wired Tether, which is via the USB. These also do not require the $30 plan. The options I mentioned require that you root your phone, but they are free. These are the options that I use.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site

On a side note, if you had tried it, it would have said your credential is wrong. Sprint won't charge you for using their official tether, they simply won't allow it to happen unless you sign up for it. In my opinion, this is a great thing, preventing "suprise" charges on your next bill.
As mentioned, there are free options, that require you to root, and paid options (pdanet) that don't require root.

cytark

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I understand now, thank you to both of you for all of the information.
However, apps like wifi tether and easy tether go against the TOS and can result in a a termination of account, right?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I understand now, thank you to both of you for all of the information.
However, apps like wifi tether and easy tether go against the TOS and can result in a a termination of account, right?

If you actually read through the TOS, you'll find out that in most cases, turning the phone on is a violation of those things ;) [sarchasm].

I would not rely on it as your full time internet, and I run about maybe 10mb usage on tether over the course of a month (a few minutes of FB time, e-mail, and quick tech page lookup). Very light usage technically against the TOS, but will generally go un-noticed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair