can't get out of download mode

raganalex

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung epic 4g that I had just rooted and installed the gingerbread leak on. I also installed the gears of war theme, but then found out It was only for ec05 builds, and I couldn't figure out how to uninstall it.it also made it so my contacts wasn't working. Every time I tried to open my contacts, it unexpectedly closed. I tried factory reset via the settings menu on the phone, which didn't work. I tried factory reset via ClockworkMod, which didn't work. I don't know if it's the same thing or not. But then I tried re-installing my gingerbread rom figuring that would restore it to when I first got gingerbread and everything was working fine. But upon using Odin to do it, it said it failed, so I retried and then It gave me an error message, and my phone was still in download mode. I can't get it out of it, I've pulled out the battery and restarted it and it gives me a symbol of a phone with a dotted line to a computer with a yellow triangle with an exclamation point (warning sign) between them. I can't boot my phone, please tell me this is fixable!I've also tried booting into clockwork which doesn't work either. and when I plug my phone into my computer the red light doesn't go on.

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that friend. I hope you're using the gmail for your contacts so that way you don't have to re-create everything form scratch. Either way follow Paul's suggestions on how to return to stock and start over.
Just don't forget to come back here and give us an update on your progress. All the members here are helpful and they wouldn't let you hanging. :)

Reactions: raganalex

raganalex

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Also, the problem I'm having is I can't get out of that screen no matter what I do, so I can't use odin at all seeing as my phone isn't even acknowledging that it's plugged in, regardless if it's plugged into my laptop or the wall charger. I believe I need to get out of this screen first before I can do a restore. another thing is that my phone doesn't 'sleep' either. so I'm hoping after the battery dies it will be another story, but can't be sure seeing as the light doesn't come on when plugged in. Sorry for going on and on, I just want to provide as much info as I can so I can get the best help possible. Thanks in advance. will my insurance cover this? I'm still within my 30-day moneyback period as well but I don't think sprint will be happy with me keeping a phone just long enough to break it.

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Also, the problem I'm having is I can't get out of that screen no matter what I do, so I can't use odin at all seeing as my phone isn't even acknowledging that it's plugged in, regardless if it's plugged into my laptop or the wall charger. I believe I need to get out of this screen first before I can do a restore. another thing is that my phone doesn't 'sleep' either. so I'm hoping after the battery dies it will be another story, but can't be sure seeing as the light doesn't come on when plugged in. Sorry for going on and on, I just want to provide as much info as I can so I can get the best help possible. Thanks in advance. will my insurance cover this? I'm still within my 30-day moneyback period as well but I don't think sprint will be happy with me keeping a phone just long enough to break it.

I don't think your phone is broke or anything for you to change it. Try Funky Cricket's suggestion first. If it doesn't work, then follow Paul's suggestion in the link I gave you earlier paying special attention to the Warning in the red box.
**Start by disconnecting from the pc and removing the battery first....Then, connect to the pc (without the battery) and use the 1+On button while using the Odin to do whatever you need to do

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would pull the battery as suggested.

See if that works.

Otherwise pull the battery and leave it out and then connect via USB cable to your device and try booting into download mode. If it goes then your good to go with Odin.

I would recommend since EC05 Odin failed first time around to download the Froyo EB13 tar (procedure #2) and use that to restore your device back to factory. Once it goes through and you boot up usually within 5-10 mins you will get the OTA update prompt for EC05.

raganalex

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay, So I did the battery pull as suggested, left it out for about an hourand put it back in, it still gave me the same screen with no options or way out. so I was hoping that draining the battery altogether might work, and as it wouldn't go to sleep I didn't have to wait long. A few hours later my phone died, and I tried plugging it in and booting it, which brought me again to the same screen. But I find that if I plug it in WITHOUT the battery in and then sneak the battery back in while it's trying to charge, I can boot into CWM recovery (Purple). I tried a restore, which it said was succesful, and then rebooted it, and came to the SAME screen. (Soooooo frustrating, but i guess I did bring this upon myself.) I have more hope for a fix now that I can get into CWM, I was wondering if there was a way to do this WITHOUT odin? Maybe I could install the original EC05 rom or even the stock rom that updates to EC05 through CWM via SD card? I remember I used to have a nookcolor and I never had to use odin to install CM7 because I did it through CWM. The reason for not wanting to use odin is because I think my phone actually has to be on seeing as my phone is plugged into my computer right now on the CWM screen still but my comp isn't recognizing it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay, So I did the battery pull as suggested, left it out for about an hourand put it back in, it still gave me the same screen with no options or way out. so I was hoping that draining the battery altogether might work, and as it wouldn't go to sleep I didn't have to wait long. A few hours later my phone died, and I tried plugging it in and booting it, which brought me again to the same screen. But I find that if I plug it in WITHOUT the battery in and then sneak the battery back in while it's trying to charge, I can boot into CWM recovery (Purple). I tried a restore, which it said was succesful, and then rebooted it, and came to the SAME screen. (Soooooo frustrating, but i guess I did bring this upon myself.) I have more hope for a fix now that I can get into CWM, I was wondering if there was a way to do this WITHOUT odin? Maybe I could install the original EC05 rom or even the stock rom that updates to EC05 through CWM via SD card? I remember I used to have a nookcolor and I never had to use odin to install CM7 because I did it through CWM. The reason for not wanting to use odin is because I think my phone actually has to be on seeing as my phone is plugged into my computer right now on the CWM screen still but my comp isn't recognizing it.

Alright if you have a way to write to your sdcard by pulling it out of your device and placing it into a sdcard reader or computer with sdcard reader then you have a shot.

Go to this link below, you will see the necessary files needed to flash in CWM 3.1.0.1 to restore your device back to complete stock OS, the stock recovery, etc... No signs of rooting or anything. It was created for those who had a failed USB port and needed to unroot their device and return it to stock form so they could turn it in for service/repair without voiding their warranty.

[ROM][STOCK]ReRFS Format Stock ROM EC05 v1.01 w/ CWM3.1.0.1

Its worked for many, take your time and best of luck.

Please report back with results.

Reactions: raganalex

raganalex

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting a message when I copy the ReRFS .zip to my sd card, saying" please insert the last disk of the multi-volume set and click ok to continue". If I don't, it stays on my card, but I opened it with winRAR just to check it out and it says unexpected end of archive.Is this expected?

raganalex

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Also the exact way I get to clockworkmod from power off is:
Unplug phone
Take out battery
Plug phone in
(It gives me a screen as if it is going to start charging and then goes black a few seconds later and loops)
Put in battery.
Phone starts to actually charge. (My red light comes on)
Do the 3 key boot into CWM which will actually boot it into the same annoying screen. Then I do all the above steps minus the 3 key boot. (it automatically brings up CWM.)
(I'm kind of trying to leave info behind in case somebody else has this problem in the future.)

raganalex

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
My phone is FIXED. I feel so dumb, because all I had to do was restart it in download mode and use Odin to follow the procedure in the first link I was given. The reason I didn't was that I thought it was already in download mode and the problem was getting it out. I really wanna thank you guys for being so helpful, even though my problem was way smaller than I thought it was.

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Glad you got it fixed, and again, this show's how resilient these phones are if you have a way to flash them from USB (same as the pre's with webos doctor). I hope samsung keeps odin around for the gsII's and all of their devices.

Reactions: s9ortner

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude