Gingerbread Release Date

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Now that the Gingerbread open source code has been posted by Samsung, anyone care to take a guess at the release date for the Epic 4G Gingerbread Update?

I'm cynical, so my guess is March 2012 or later.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Now that the Gingerbread open source code has been posted by Samsung, anyone care to take a guess at the release date for the Epic 4G Gingerbread Update?

I'm cynical, so my guess is March 2012 or later.

Historically with Samsung, the source and the official OTA update were dropped within a couple of weeks of each other.

Reactions: a Magillacutty

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
juntober the 37th?

hehehe.. just kidding. I'll wait to see what the update breaks. i don't think many of the GB updates have been kind to most phones. My froyo is working fine. netflix was the only thing i cared about for GB and they released it for froyo. so i'm golden till I get a device that will get ICS or what ever comes later with all the webOS stuff for swiping away stuff they added.

Reactions: a Magillacutty

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I think I've decided that if GB isn't out by 1 November, I am switching to the NS4G.

I just get subpar battery life with my phone...even when it just sits in a holster all day. Tried multiple ROMs (best ROM for me was Simply AOSP) and even some GB ROMs. I don't begrudge the devs at all, but just didn't work out well for me. I was hoping an official GB release would fix some of my problems...but sometimes if you wait and wait, opportunities will pass you by. I think I'll enjoy the NS4G until LTE comes out. It was either this or the Epic 4G Touch...and Smply AOSP has made me appreciate the pure Google experience...

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I think I've decided that if GB isn't out by 1 November, I am switching to the NS4G.

I just get subpar battery life with my phone...even when it just sits in a holster all day. Tried multiple ROMs (best ROM for me was Simply AOSP) and even some GB ROMs. I don't begrudge the devs at all, but just didn't work out well for me. I was hoping an official GB release would fix some of my problems...but sometimes if you wait and wait, opportunities will pass you by. I think I'll enjoy the NS4G until LTE comes out. It was either this or the Epic 4G Touch...and Smply AOSP has made me appreciate the pure Google experience...

New phone won't solve your probs...you'll just get new ones. Fix your battery issues by logging OUT of all apps (Facebook, Lattitude, Amazon MP3, Pandora) before exiting program. If you use these just log in each time but remember to log OUT...the only problem is you have to sign in with username and password everytime. I do kill the SNS Service and OmaDRM at bootup, but I do leave GPS and background sync on all the time...I just toggle Autosync with a widget whenever I want to check email.

Thadrow

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I would do it. I have actually. You'll be surprised how snappy and quick NS4G is compared to Epic. Mind you they have the same specs. I've had no problems with my nexus. I love it. Gets google love first and is no slouch. The dev community is great for this phone as well.

I got it for free as I placed a call to sprint who offered to send me another epic or another model. Evo 3d was an option but I chose the nexus.

Imo you should do it. You won't regret it. I'm also using it until LTE arrives. Which around the time my upgrade is due, perfect.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
One thing to consider when discussing the nexus is the fact it doesn't have an sd card slot. I have 25 gigs of music on my phone so the nexus would not be an option for me. If you store a lot of music, pictures and other things you will want a phone with an sd memory slot.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
You state the obvious. I don't use any of those programs. Once in a while Facebook, but since the Android app is so slow I usually have it removed. The others I never use.

I've used task killers.
I've used Juicedefender.
I've used startup auditor.
I've used spare parts.
I've gone back to stock.
I've tried several roms... Even simply aosp with nothing else installed.
I've been in great service areas and bad service areas.
Wifi... No wifi.
Sleep policy changes
DRM services.
Sprint bloatware...
Battery calibration...
Had my battery replaced...

Been through it all.

My colleague's Evo (on cyanogen) lasts longer than mine.

Don't use GPS.
Don't use bluetooth.
Don't use 4G.

8 to 10 idle
6 tops with some gaming, browsing, texting and (gasp) phone calls.

I'd like to use my phone for a change.

New phone won't solve your probs...you'll just get new ones. Fix your battery issues by logging OUT of all apps (Facebook, Lattitude, Amazon MP3, Pandora) before exiting program. If you use these just log in each time but remember to log OUT...the only problem is you have to sign in with username and password everytime. I do kill the SNS Service and OmaDRM at bootup, but I do leave GPS and background sync on all the time...I just toggle Autosync with a widget whenever I want to check email.

cerobles1

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Kevin, I'm curious as to what ROM ur currently running. Because for me the b est battery life I got was 1 day 2hours n some change. If I could only figure out how to post the screenshot I'd do it. I'm currently running Thunderhawk 1.1 (EG22) and I gotta say this is the best batt life you could possibly squeeze out of this phone. U should tr it.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Kevin, I'm curious as to what ROM ur currently running. Because for me the b est battery life I got was 1 day 2hours n some change. If I could only figure out how to post the screenshot I'd do it. I'm currently running Thunderhawk 1.1 (EG22) and I gotta say this is the best batt life you could possibly squeeze out of this phone. U should tr it.

I tried Thunderhawk, but I got what I considered too many reboots. Currently I am running SimplyAOSP v4. But, the point is moot. I ordered the Nexus S 4G....$99.00. Can't beat that.

The Epic was the first Android phone I had after years of BB. I guess one of the nice things about Android is the plethora of choices. I'm choosing something newer for now.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
you know.... That is certainly possible. The but, there are other issues as well. General crashes of the launcher as well as waking up from sleep mode... I should go back to stock just to see if it is all ROM-related...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@kevincwelch,

In a matter a few days you will be running a 90 + percent working version of ICS on your NS4G !

Your gonna like it :)

rdybala

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Any word on an official release date? Any insiders know anything more? I'm hoping it will be out before Thanksgiving...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Any word on an official release date? Any insiders know anything more? I'm hoping it will be out before Thanksgiving...

Nothing yet... We know it will drop now that official source code has been released... Just a matter of when Sammy/Sprint decide its all packaged and ready.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Ha!

I'm sure you're right. Alas, I really want 100% working. And if 2.3.7 works just fine without rooting or a ROM, I'll probably just let it be. Although, at the minimum I can't imagine not rooting the phone...

@kevincwelch,

In a matter a few days you will be running a 90 + percent working version of ICS on your NS4G !

Your gonna like it :)

rdybala

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Nothing yet... We know it will drop now that official source code has been released... Just a matter of when Sammy/Sprint decide its all packaged and ready.

Thanks for the quick response, Paul! Hopefully, SRF 2.0 will drop not too far after official GB is released, so I can continue to enjoy my phone for the next 398 days (as per Sprint's website).

george1614

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one that is happy with the Epic 4g? Seriously, what am I missing by not having gingerbread? Also tired of hearing how people moved from the WebOS to the epic only to be disappointed.... the palm pre sucked so much compared to the Epic. wow!

i have my phone stock and use almost every feature in it and dont have the same complaints that most of the whinners on this message board. ..... whew! got that off my chest.