Epic 4G Stuck on Samsung Logo

djraw

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, let me explain. I dont know what happened. All I know is all of a sudden apps that I wasn't even running started force closing. So naturally, I did a battery pull. Normally my Epic will scan the memory card twice and be ready to roll. This time, and each time after, it only scanned the card once, and the apps I had on the card didn't show up. So, next I uninstalled several apps that were force closing and did another battery pull. Still the apps I'd moved to my card didn't show up, and random apps and processes were force closing. so I backed up my contacts to the card (which was always accessable through the phone, cause my music and pics were still there) and did a hard reset. When i came back up, I got the Galaxy S logo, the the Samsung logo, then nothing. I won't go pass the Samsung logo. (My ooVoo and Google Maps were trying to auto update). I have been up all night trying to get it goin again. I did have it rooted so I could use Wi-Fi Tether, (don't ask which root method I used, cause I definitely don't remember) Can anyone please give me instruction or a link so I can solve this? Thanks for any help guys!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, let me explain. I dont know what happened. All I know is all of a sudden apps that I wasn't even running started force closing. So naturally, I did a battery pull. Normally my Epic will scan the memory card twice and be ready to roll. This time, and each time after, it only scanned the card once, and the apps I had on the card didn't show up. So, next I uninstalled several apps that were force closing and did another battery pull. Still the apps I'd moved to my card didn't show up, and random apps and processes were force closing. so I backed up my contacts to the card (which was always accessable through the phone, cause my music and pics were still there) and did a hard reset. When i came back up, I got the Galaxy S logo, the the Samsung logo, then nothing. I won't go pass the Samsung logo. (My ooVoo and Google Maps were trying to auto update). I have been up all night trying to get it goin again. I did have it rooted so I could use Wi-Fi Tether, (don't ask which root method I used, cause I definitely don't remember) Can anyone please give me instruction or a link so I can solve this? Thanks for any help guys!

Well without knowing exactly what you had done to the device, like if you were running a custom ROM or kernel, etc along with being rooted its hard to come up with a pin pointed solution.

Really sounds like everything is goofed up good for whatever reason. I would seriously recommend using Odin and doing a factory restore to Froyo EB13 and then it will give you the option shortly afterwards to OTA update to Froyo EC05.

Go to the link below, use procedure #2 to get on Froyo EB13.

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

[WARN]
This will completely restore you device back to 100% factory as it appeared when you purchased the device.

Your sdcard contents will remain SAFE/UNTOUCHED. So whatever you have stored there is OKAY :)
[/WARN]

If you have any problems, hit us up in the Rooting and Hacking section and we can help you out but I think this is your best option to get your device up and going again with a good solid base to start from again.

djraw

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I only have a MacBook! Odim won't work! the other one Hendimi for OSX, (I spelled that wrong) won't work either. Every time i try to load the E05 zip or the E13 is says "firmware xml missing".

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I only have a MacBook! Odim won't work! the other one Hendimi for OSX, (I spelled that wrong) won't work either. Every time i try to load the E05 zip or the E13 is says "firmware xml missing".

1. Can you still boot into CWM?
2. Do you have a sd card reader or adapter on your MAC book?

Reason I ask is, if you have both then you can use this method to flash back to a working stock Froyo build on your device using CWM instead of Odin. Follow the link below and read in the OP about restoring your device to factory stock in case you need to have your device serviced or taken in to Sprint. Its worked many times for dozens of people in your situation.

[ROM][STOCK]ReRFS Format Stock ROM EC05 v1.01 w/ CWM3.1.0.1

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If your device was rooted it should have ClockWorkMod installed.

You can boot into it from a powered off device by doing the following...

Press and Hold

Volume Down+Camera then while holding those press and hold Power button until it boots into ClockWorkMod...

From there you can flash updates (files) to your device.

Let me know if you get to this point... That is where those files at that thread will come in once you place them on your SD CARD.

djraw

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
If your device was rooted it should have ClockWorkMod installed.

You can boot into it from a powered off device by doing the following...

Press and Hold

Volume Down+Camera then while holding those press and hold Power button until it boots into ClockWorkMod...

From there you can flash updates (files) to your device.

Let me know if you get to this point... That is where those files at that thread will come in once you place them on your SD CARD.

It will only go to the Samsung logo. The sad thing is I'm pretty savvy overall with gadgets. This is got me completely blowed!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Next suggestion...

1. Ever looked into installing Bootcamp for Windows on your Mac? Then you can run Odin.

2. Barrow a friends PC for a half hour, download the Odin files and install the Samsung drivers (from the Factory Restore thread I sent you originally) and reset your device that way.

kitchin

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Worse case scenario, if you have the insurance from sprint, drop it in some water and get it swapped out for the deductible. Sounds like you might be SOL honestly. Let us know how you do with the friend thing or boot camp. I know my friend can't get his macbook pro to work with odin, even with boot camp.

djraw

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Boot Camp app said i need to totally reinstall the OS to be able to use it to run windows. That would be a bit tedious. Idk what to do. I may just do the insurance thing, but $100 is steep for me right now.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Boot Camp app said i need to totally reinstall the OS to be able to use it to run windows. That would be a bit tedious. Idk what to do. I may just do the insurance thing, but $100 is steep for me right now.

No friends to barrow a PC from for a half hour?

djraw

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I wish. I'm in a new city and i have no circles here. I have a pc, but i need a new power suppy, which won't be in the budget till the 4th.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781