16gb sd card full WTF.. I don't have a lot of music or videos?

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I am using bonsai rom 4.1.3 I believe is the latest, I have maybe 10 albums, and a few podcasts, some pictures and no videos anymore. But somehow my sd card is full, when I go into adao filemanager I can't seem to find out what's using up all my space. Any ideas or know of any tools I can use to find out what files I can delete from my sd to free up some space.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

jsgraphicart

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: 16gb sd card full WTF.. I don't have a lot of music or videos

Does that rom include the sd card flip flop mod or have you ever used it before? If so, maybe something got mixed up and all your music and stuff is on the phones storage instead of the sd card and visa versa. Just a thought. I had some problems with that before. If anything, get a file manager app and just see whats all on your sd cards. or plug it into your computer and manage your storage on there.

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if it has flip flop mod. I can't find anything on the sd card that's a a real pig. There is a bunch of stuff on it that I don't know what it is. But nothing that's obviosly sucking up al my space.

jsgraphicart

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

How about the ".trash1000" folder? I think thats what its called. When you delete something it goes into that folder. Sometimes it doesnt actually get deleted. Its ok to delete that folder. It will be created again automatically when needed. That might free up some space.

Also, if you go into your settings and go to storage, how much does it say you have on both your internal storage and your sd card?

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Internal 204mb left. Sd card 2.2gb left after I deleted a few duplicate albums from my music library. The .trash-1000 folder only contains 2mb worth of trash. I'm going to have to do some digging when I can get to a pc. I can't imagine what would be taking up 12-13gb of my sd card. My music totals 1.6gb so what's using the rest..

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
How many times have you made a back up for your roms? I had many and never erased them until I found out that was taking up all my space. You may have many back ups taking up space its Worth a shot to check.

jsgraphicart

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

So its your internal storage that is low? I would just hook it up to a computer and figure out where all your big files are and delete them if necessary. Like SAENZ_SCENE mentioned, It could be backups and other data that you may or may not need.

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
@saenz what's the directory of the nandroid back ups, you may be right, I forgot about those.

@jsgraficarts I don't think the internal memory is very low when compared to how much is initially available. But if one wanted to free up some of that memory, would it just be a matter of me removing some apps?

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
@saenz what's the directory of the nandroid back ups, you may be right, I forgot about those.

What recovery do you use, AmonRa or clockworkmod?

Depending in which it will either be on SD card/nandroid or if clockworkmod , SD card/clockworkmod/backups.
You can use rom manager for it as well. Under manage and restore backups.

Last edited:

jsgraphicart

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

If you are talking about "memory" and not actual storage space, you can always boot into recovery and Clear the cache. I've had that problem too.

Apps themselves dont take up too much storage space. Unless you have A LOT of apps on your phone, I dont think its a matter of deleting apps to free up space. However deleting apps WILL give you SOME extra space. I have a feeling its backup files or some other files that got put on your phone somehow.

jerseykat1

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
No its not a memory issue its a storage issue.
I did manage to find my clockwork backups and I had a total of 6 of them, deleted all but my latest and now I have 5.5gb free onmy sd, which is much better but I think I can find more space. My phone also feels more responsive now.

isn't the sd card supposed to be manly for media storage? It seems there is a bunch of other app data there as well. Just have to figure out what I can get rid of .

Thanks so much for your help guys.

jsgraphicart

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, you just mentioned internal memory in your post.

As far as I know, the SD card should only have what you put on it manually. All apps and data use the internal storage unless told otherwise. Thats why I thought maybe you used the sd card flip flop mod at one point either with a ROM or manually. I was using a rom for a while which used the mod then switched to a rom that didnt. So all my apps and app data were on my sd card instead of the internal storage after switching roms. I had to manually install the flip flop mod myself to get it to how it was.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
If you can save all your music, podcasts and videos onto your computer and apps then you can try to partition your SD card again. Like reformat. It erases everything of course but it may help.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

If you use apps like titanium or my back up root those will store everything on sdcard. If you have them doing backups they can eat up space.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

How about the ".trash1000" folder? I think thats what its called. When you delete something it goes into that folder. Sometimes it doesnt actually get deleted. Its ok to delete that folder. It will be created again automatically when needed. That might free up some space.

Also, if you go into your settings and go to storage, how much does it say you have on both your internal storage and your sd card?

I never heard of that folder - but erase everything in your LOST.DIR folder, unless you are using a MAC than those files in that folder are there to help you recover files

jsgraphicart

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

I never heard of that folder - but erase everything in your LOST.DIR folder, unless you are using a MAC than those files in that folder are there to help you recover files

The .trash-1000 folder is kind of like the trash on your desktop. When you delete something on your computer it goes to the trash but doesnt really get deleted until you empty it. I think the .trash-1000 folder on the phone empties itself on a reboot or something but sometimes it may keep files in there. And if you delete a whole backup of something and its still hanging around in that folder, you havent really deleted it yet.

george1614

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site

I have the same problem with my SD card. I have my phone stock, no music or media files and am using 8g our of 16g sd card. I cant figure it out.

I am running low internal memory too and not sure how to fix this either. I tried deleting apps but its just not enough. does anyone have an answer to this?

george1614

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site

I am deleting my TRASH / SENT email boxes and it is opening up my memory. this phone should have a better way of managing this in my opinion.

Now to figure out what is eating up 7gig of memory in my sd card? i have my phone STOCK, no music files, and a few pictures.

george1614

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site

I am deleting my TRASH / SENT email boxes and it is opening up my memory. this phone should have a better way of managing this in my opinion.

Now to figure out what is eating up 7gig of memory in my sd card? i have my phone STOCK, no music files, and a few pictures.