GB roll out starts tomorrow (11/9/11)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Just heard from a Sprint ninja -- Gingerbread for the Epic 4G starts rolling out tomorrow. Will be a slow rollout, with only 3% of the users getting it on day one.

Better than having to yank it back from everyone, I reckon :)

Get your schitt ready to roll back to stock if you wanna try it out, hopefully someone from that 3% gets a download link.

more details: Epic 4G gingerbread roll out

epicgb_details.jpg

Reactions: werkx and Paul627g

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't trust anything a sprint rep tells me regarding updates. Froyo was rolling out for two days and they stopped due to issues. When I called tech support to ask when it would start again, they didn't even know that it was started the 1st time.

I don't think sprint tells their reps when the updates are going to roll out.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

big_bake

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I jumped out of my seat with excitement. It really has been a long time coming. More stoked for an official GB for devs to start with.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't trust anything a sprint rep tells me regarding updates. Froyo was rolling out for two days and they stopped due to issues. When I called tech support to ask when it would start again, they didn't even know that it was started the 1st time.

I don't think sprint tells their reps when the updates are going to roll out.

Ouch! Easy Keith... I don't believe Jerry (gbhil) is referring to talking to your local Sprint sales rep. I think Jerry and the rest of the AC writers/bloggers have a bit more "insider" connections they receive tips from.. Also judging from the roll out details Jerry provided its looks official enough to me...

Slow roll out is good! If they do have some major bug like devices getting bricked or something it won't be affecting the majority due to a mass push on the first day..

Hang tight people, I'm sure within a few hours of rollout someone will get a hold of a direct download link to the OTA for others to grab their update ahead of the OTA notification.

Thanks again Jerry! This has been a long time coming for the Samsung Epic 4g crowd.

Reactions: a Magillacutty

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Ouch! Easy Keith... I don't believe Jerry (gbhil) is referring to talking to your local Sprint sales rep. I think Jerry and the rest of the AC writers/bloggers have a bit more "insider" connections they receive tips from.. Also judging from the roll out details Jerry provided its looks official enough to me...

Slow roll out is good! If they do have some major bug like devices getting bricked or something it won't be affecting the majority due to a mass push on the first day..

Hang tight people, I'm sure within a few hours of rollout someone will get a hold of a direct download link to the OTA for others to grab their update ahead of the OTA notification.

Thanks again Jerry! This has been a long time coming for the Samsung Epic 4g crowd.

Oops... Didn't realize he was staff... I guess I should pay more attention to who's articles I'm reading...

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm calling shenanigans on this. Sprint+Samsung=disappointment. Even if does roll out, it will be laced with bugs and glitches galore. I have zippy faith in their ability to produce a quality product. Just look at the history on this phone.....which, by the way just shut off for no reason whatsoever while I'm typing this......Eclair=bug laden fail. Froyo=POS update loaded with glitches. Gingerbread=probably a stale, overbaked sugarless cookie.

Sorry to be so cynical, but I've had better luck with a Sega Dreamcast than this phone.

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I will say this much. As long as there's a Paul627g, I have some faith. He's always the voice of reason and does carry the flame well. Thanks for being there Paul627g!;)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I try, what can I say friends... I still support you all even though I'm not running the Epic 4g any longer.. But my attachment to it is still close, my wife has her Epic 4g rooted and waiting for some nice official GB custom ROMs :)

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to have an all stock, pre-rooted GB ROM, configured so it can be installed without wiping anything - just like the all stock, pre-rooted FroYo EC05 ROM I used to root my Epic 4G. IT came with FroYo out of the box, I just wanted to rip out some, not all, of the pre-loaded apps.