Has anyone received EI22 OTA?

dominick

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You can't receive the OTA update while rooted... It will fail on install... Unfortunately it seems something has changed since Froyo where rooted devices with no changes other than being rooted could receive the update.

Try pulling your battery and rebooting see what happens. Otherwise see if you can boot back into CWM and restore a backup or flash a ROM to get back running. Then if that is successful you can flash a custom-stockish official GB ROM

Paul,

I want to clarify what you said here in the interest of the rooted community: you CAN receive the update if you're rooted, you just ***should not*** install it if you are still rooted (I was on rooted stock Froyo EC05). I'm stuck on the Samsung screen after selecting "Yes, Update" because I thought that maybe Sprint/Samsung figured out a way for rooted users to OTA update since the update notification actually got through. Backwards thinking I know, but anyway...

So hopefully I can unbrick when I get home. Glad I backed up last night.......

***UPDATE***
Got home, started up ye olde laptop, went through Paul's Unbrick steps, did the manual update, and then boom goes the Gingerbread!

I should say that I was extremely worried I bricked the phone because it just kept getting stuck at charging icon or Samsung. Key things in my experience: (1) it REALLY can be a faulty USB cord. i was using my wife's microusb for her older sammy device and i thought it would work. wrong. the epic cord worked like a charm. IF ANYTHING, you have to figure that over time, the usb plug gets bent to accommodate its rightful device. so be it. (2) the Unbrick version for the FROYO is important. I had saved some other stock froyo download on my laptop and just figured i could use that - wrong. i DL'd Paul's suggested file and it worked on the first try.

So, I have stock GB on here now - now I have to figure out how to bulk reload those apps. I backed up in Titanium but will see if I can use it without a rooted GB device.

cheers/dom

Last edited:

fathom39

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I got mine this morning around 7 a.m. PST. I really like it: everything is faster and feels nicer, the vibrate is more intense, the autocorrect on the virtual keyboards appears as a horizontal row of words instead of a pod of words, the time font on the front screen is larger, the battery icon flipped to vertical, there is a vibrate/silent quick icon on the pull-down window shade, and the times listed on on the email headers in the inbox view is a brighter white instead of the old dim grey. Can't say much about improved battery life because I've only had the update for a few hours but my Juice Defender is reporting 1.7 whereas it normally reports 1.4 ~ 1.5 throughout the day, Oh, that's another thing: Menu | Settings | About phone | Battery use now reports that Android Syste is the chief sucker at 73% and the Display is only sucking 3%. With my previoius Froyo 2.2, the display was always shown as sucking most everything.

I hope each of you gets your OTA soon and that you enjoy it.

FryGuy66

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I got mine at 0545 this morning, installed it and I'm stuck in the 'boot loop'. From what I've read, the hard reset will cause me to lose all my 'data'. What is the 'data' and does it include all my pictures on the phone and will I lose all my pictures if I hard reset? Is there anyway to recover the pics before I hard reset? Thanks in advance.:(

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I got mine at 0545 this morning, installed it and I'm stuck in the 'boot loop'. From what I've read, the hard reset will cause me to lose all my 'data'. What is the 'data' and does it include all my pictures on the phone and will I lose all my pictures if I hard reset? Is there anyway to recover the pics before I hard reset? Thanks in advance.:(

Yes the hard reset will be required as instructed in the OP of this thread below... By data, your settings and how you have your device setup will be lost.. Text messages, downloaded voice mails, game data, etc... Anything basically stored on the device's internal memory..

[TIP]
All contents of your sdcard will remain safe... Pictures, music, videos, etc...

Your contacts, phone, calendar are all linked to your GMail account associated with the device so that will be restored once your updated and running again.[/TIP]

[EI22][GINGERBREAD][EPIC 4G] Official Gingerbread Thread

Reactions: FryGuy66

FryGuy66

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Awesome....the person at Sprint Customer Care said my pics would be lost with the hard reset. So pics are automatically saved to the SD card?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Awesome....the person at Sprint Customer Care said my pics would be lost with the hard reset. So pics are automatically saved to the SD card?
Yes... That &(*^*&^*&^(*^ didn't know what they are talking about.... Pictures are stored to your sdcard by default.

You can pull your sdcard out and pop it into a computer right now to verify that before doing the update.

Reactions: FryGuy66

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
It is a shame. I still have not seen an update to gingerbread. Especially since I went back to stock on Nov 9 and a week later still no gingerbread. Being stuck on EC 05 is killing my battery life.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

theponderousman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm afraid I already know the answer to this but here's to hoping! I don't have a rooted phone, nothing too fancy schmancy on it, and finally got the OTA at around noon today while I was out driving around. I accepted it figuring it'd take an hour max to get it set up and all. It's now 4pm and the screen is still going through the galaxy s to sprint 4 G cycle. My phone did not have the wi-fi turned on (again, was out driving around), and I got home an hour ago and knew I had to plug it in or the battery would drain. So here it is, sitting on my desk, going around in the cycle. Has it taken this long for others or do ya think I'm screwed and have a brick on my hands?

Thoughts??

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It is a shame. I still have not seen an update to gingerbread. Especially since I went back to stock on Nov 9 and a week later still no gingerbread. Being stuck on EC 05 is killing my battery life.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Give it time.... OTA roll out is still not complete...

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I got the OTA today. It was around lunch hour so I just let it do its thing. Haven't played much with it yet thoug but my first post with the new Swype already had to be edited to fix autocorrect issues...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

FryGuy66

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
OK.....now my phones stuck in the "Android system recovery <3e>" screen. I have 'wipedata/factory reset' selected, I push the power button, and nothing's happening. It's been like this for a few hours.
Any suggestions before I head to my local authorized Srint repair shop?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
OK.....now my phones stuck in the "Android system recovery <3e>" screen. I have 'wipedata/factory reset' selected, I push the power button, and nothing's happening. It's been like this for a few hours.
Any suggestions before I head to my local authorized Srint repair shop?
Power button doesn't "select" the option in stock recovery...

Use your HOME key button on the bottom of the phone...

1. Download the file
2. Rename the file to "update.zip" ** Window users careful it doesn't get named update.zip.zip
3. Place it on the root directory of your sdcard
4. Boot into stock recovery (Press and Hold Volume Down+Camera+Power)
4a. You navigate stock recovery using your volume up/down and make selections with the HOME key.
5. apply update.zip
6. Boot into Gingerbread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair