OTA Gingerbread EI22 update issues

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
This is becoming extremely annoying. I would get the update OTA and when it asks me to install I agree. The device boots into recovery and starts to install the update but comes back with an instillation aborted error. Here is the error I keep receiving from my device when trying to install in recovery.

--Install from package...
Finding update package...
Verifying Update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: failed apply_patch_check("/system/app/Ma
ps.apk", "118587e049379e5de0c6aad498597b6415e8d4
9e", "abc14bd240dd35d099bd0ccde197a5c3f99f677")
E:Error in /cache/a5ff039a0c97.SPH-D700_update_EC05_to_EI22.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

My device is stock EC05 and not rooted, though I was rooted at one point and running EH17 and some other roms.

I have reset the device as in factory reset from the settings menu and even wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition in recovery mode. So I am stuck and confused.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This is becoming extremely annoying. I would get the update OTA and when it asks me to install I agree. The device boots into recovery and starts to install the update but comes back with an instillation aborted error. Here is the error I keep receiving from my device when trying to install in recovery.

--Install from package...
Finding update package...
Verifying Update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: failed apply_patch_check("/system/app/Ma
ps.apk", "118587e049379e5de0c6aad498597b6415e8d4
9e", "abc14bd240dd35d099bd0ccde197a5c3f99f677")
E:Error in /cache/a5ff039a0c97.SPH-D700_update_EC05_to_EI22.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

My device is stock EC05 and not rooted, though I was rooted at one point and running EH17 and some other roms.

I have reset the device as in factory reset from the settings menu and even wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition in recovery mode. So I am stuck and confused.
Question, you said you were rooted at one point.. Did you use Odin to return to factory stock or did you just do a factory reset from within the device?

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I used Odin to go back to EC05. Sad thing is while doing the process of using odin to go from EH17 to EC05, my phone soft-bricked. I followed your steps that if i couldnt get to EC05 using Odin, use the earlier version which was eb16 or something. That worked. As soon as my phone started up. I got the OTA to go to EC05 and did that.

Now I am on EC05 non-rooted and stock and cant update to EI22.

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I also did tried the manual update a couple of times and received the same error. i prefer doing the OTA way or using ODIN if possible.

Would going back to EB## version of froyo and then update to ec05 and then update to ei22 fix the problem?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Worth a shot... Odin back to Froyo EB13, then grab the OTA update to EC05 then all the OTA update to come in for official GB.

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Worth a shot... Odin back to Froyo EB13, then grab the OTA update to EC05 then all the OTA update to come in for official GB.
Did exactly as stated and everything worked perfectly. Odined back to EB13 got the OTA for EC05 and then got the OTA for EI22. Finally running the OFFICIAL update of Gingerbread and so far I am content.

Also during the process, I accidentally soft-bricked my phone while trying to odin back to EB13. But eventually fixed the problem but only because I switched cables with a Motorola cable and was successful. Samsung cables are truly a waste.

San-Man

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
So let me get this straight, I have a stock Epic running EC05 that is rooted...Because it's rooted I won't be able to do the OTA upgrade to EI22 unless I un-root it?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So let me get this straight, I have a stock Epic running EC05 that is rooted...Because it's rooted I won't be able to do the OTA upgrade to EI22 unless I un-root it?
To receive the OTA, yes. Otherwise if you attempt to accept, it will fail/error out when installing.

Reactions: San-Man

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Or since you are already rooted, download one of the very good stock based roms that are popping up and not worry about removing the root and then have to root again.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

TheMissle

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I have a Samsung Epic 4G and followed similar steps--flashing back to stock, setting me back to EC05 so I could then update to Gingerbread via OTA update. I downloaded and got an error message, but after a partial-install, it held up and gave me this messagen (the error portion only):

Updating modem....
script aborted (no error message)E:Error in /cache/a5ff039a0c97.SPH-D700_update_EC05_to_EI22.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

After the flash to stock and failed updated, at first my PC wouldn't even recognize my phone. Now it will recognize it and let me access the SD card through the PC while plugged in, but Odin won't recognize it (no green light). I tried several simple suggestions such as switching USB ports and all that, but the quick-fixes like that didn't work. I even tried taking out the battery and connecting it but no dice. So now I'm stuck with EC05 and no way to change it. Any help or suggestions? Thanks.

rogeratm

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Originally, I did root to Froyo but Odined back and let it update, successfully, to Froyo. Now I have the problem exhibited above. I continually get the error when I attempt to manually update and if I allow the OTA, the phone resets and hangs on the Samsung screen. Any ideas for me?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting to think Samsung & Sprint goofed on this one to a point...

1. I'm guessing the OTA update package is setup for those who are running the previous EG22 Official Gingerbread version. If you attempt to OTA from Froyo its not going to work.

2. Solution....

I would again try Odin back to Froyo EC05, then use the manual update zip method to upgrade to Gingerbread EG22 and then finally the OTA should take properly....

Please report back with results....

TechnoGeezer

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to think Samsung & Sprint goofed on this one to a point...

1. I'm guessing the OTA update package is setup for those who are running the previous EG22 Official Gingerbread version. If you attempt to OTA from Froyo its not going to work.

2. Solution....

I would again try Odin back to Froyo EC05, then use the manual update zip method to upgrade to Gingerbread EG22 and then finally the OTA should take properly....

Please report back with results....

Paul, don't you mean EI22 GB instead of EG22? (Thanks for ALL of your hard work BTW)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar