Wont go into Debug mode

N9tShadow

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
My Dads Samsung Epic 4g wont go into debug mode when I connect it to the pc.

I have the options USB debugging and Allow mock locations enabled, but when I connect it to my pc it doesnt say its in debug mode..

am I doing something wrong?

N9tShadow

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
On the phone it shows the USB sign, but no debug sign (in the status bar) on the PC it just says installing drivers (I downloaded and installed the drivers already) and that's it, the debug thing in the status bar never shows. I've rebooted the phone many times with the hope that it'll come on

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Some suggestions...

1. Windows XP or Vista always works better than Windows 7 but if that is your only option then we have no other choice.

2. UN install all Samsung drivers.

3. First try making a connection to your device without any drivers installed. Your computer may try install some windows drivers to make the connection, that is fine.

4. Next once your device has connected then go ahead and install the Samsung drivers. First without the device connected, then plug in the device with debugging enabled and allow the computer to finish installing the drivers. This could be fast or it could take 5 or 10 minutes to complete.

Try different ports, different cables, eventually you will find a combo that makes it work. If your using windows 7 then it will probably be a bit of a battle since windows 7 just doesn't like to be toyed with when it comes to phones and drivers.

Reactions: jmuru

N9tShadow

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Yea windows 7 is my only option, it weird because I have the nexus s 4g and its tech. A Samsung phone and mine works just find, I will try it again tonight when my dad comes home and post results.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yea windows 7 is my only option, it weird because I have the nexus s 4g and its tech. A Samsung phone and mine works just find, I will try it again tonight when my dad comes home and post results.

Yes the NS4G seems to connect without issue... I owe one too... Before I left my Epic 4g I did manage to get it to connect to my Windows 7 laptop and the steps I provided above was the way I managed to get it to connect.. First without drivers so your computer see's it, then disconnect, apply the drivers and move forward...

It ended up only 1 of my 3 USB ports worked for the Epic, my Nexus doesn't matter any port, any computer and version of Windows...

N9tShadow

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Yea nothing has worked so far, I think I'm going to convince him to load win XP on The pc

TCD

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how much this will help, but I've used Win7 x64 exclusively for connecting my Epic 4g. My laptop doesn't have enough power on its USB ports, fairly common unless you have a "Sleep and Charge" port. On my desktop I have to connect to one of the ports around back as the front ports simply don't work. I also purchased a better quality shielded USB cable for making the computer connection and found that Odin worked flawlessly where before it was hit and miss for me using the original cable that shipped with the phone.

ghmacdonald

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
No I don't its the one that came with the phone

That may be part of your problem. The cable that comes with the phone is not worth beans. Buy a good cable and your problem might go away. I had problems with mine (and the one from my wife's when I first tried to root my Epic. Got a good one and no more problems.

George

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze