So how does this work?

ArcherBrianJames

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how many of you enjoy playing games on your phone, but I bought GTA 3 before they made the epic 4g not compatible, downloaded it and it didn't work. Surprise surprise. But my buddy who has a HTC G2, downloaded it and it plays just fine. If I understand correctly, that phone is behind the epic in processing power and graphic processing. Rockstar doesn't even list it as a compatible device.

How does that work? Just complaining while scratching my head. Oh and Rockstar wouldn't tell me if it would be compatible later on, or refund me. :(

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It could be they ran into a snag with PowerVR GPU in the epic, or some part of Touchwiz framework isn't playing nice. What you have there is a small computer, and even though the specs may look like it will work, there is always the possibility of components and software not playing nice with each other. You're not the only one having an issue with it since they removed the Epic4g from the compatible list, and it may not be worth their time to fix it for a single device if the fix will cause problems with several others at the same time.

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
this is why i HATE Android sometimes. They make games only available to "some", but not all android phones. Fragmentation on android is such a joke.......Like I'm pretty sure the Epic 4G is more than capable of handling GTA 3 especially considering the Galaxy Nexus ("the holy grail of android phones") uses the same GPU....

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site

So this right there says the hardware is good to go, but something that Samsung/Sprint did to the phone caused a conflict with this particular game. We may never know what it is. Welcome to the world of computers. It's the same reason that pc games have updates and patches, and why video card manufacturers have constant updates to their drivers. It's not the fragmentation of the OS, but rather different settings and base manufacturer software that just don't agree with each other.

Sorry it's not working for you. Keep up with the developer for a refund since they removed compatibility AFTER your purchase.

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So this right there says the hardware is good to go, but something that Samsung/Sprint did to the phone caused a conflict with this particular game. We may never know what it is. Welcome to the world of computers. It's the same reason that pc games have updates and patches, and why video card manufacturers have constant updates to their drivers. It's not the fragmentation of the OS, but rather different settings and base manufacturer software that just don't agree with each other.

Sorry it's not working for you. Keep up with the developer for a refund since they removed compatibility AFTER your purchase.

What's EC02 (from your signature)?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What's EC02 (from your signature)?

That... would be a typo. Should have read EC05 (the stock froyo build).
Been bouncing from rom to rom, and finally settled on Cyanogen RC0. Just didn't get a chance to update my signature.

ArcherBrianJames

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
That makes since. At least for my buddy with his G2, which he is running CM7 on. I really wish they would develop a final version of that for the Epic soon.

***EDIT*** HOLY CRAP THEY HAVE!!!! I am flashing that tomorrow. I just put Clean GB on two days ago too, and I was starting to enjoy it. Hmm.

Last edited:

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So hey...what do you think about the RC0 so far?

I've been on it since it was released as the RC. Really the only issue I have with it, is that sometimes the wifi doesn't initialize properly the first couple times. Have to turn it on and off a couple times. But once it's on, it stays on. Rock solid for me otherwise. Older (Kanged) versions had the video playback/recording issues, as well as the messed up wifi (BIG DEAL for me, being stuck at 1x at home otherwise).

I barely get to 3G service, 90% of the time i'm in 1X territory, and there isn't a 4G area within 25mi of me (and there's nothing in that area that I go to, mostly residential and part of the PA turnpike), so not having WiMax is a non-issue for me.

I don't think I'll be going back to stock unless Samsung releases an official ICS based rom, before CM can get cm9 on the Epic. :)

RC0 still isn't listed in the "Stable" section, so I don't think I'll mess with the nighties until I find a big flaw or something along those lines that is fixed.

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
That... would be a typo. Should have read EC05 (the stock froyo build).
Been bouncing from rom to rom, and finally settled on Cyanogen RC0. Just didn't get a chance to update my signature.

Lol, K, just making sure I didn't miss out on a modem or something.

So hey...what do you think about the RC0 so far?

RC0 is great. Stable and no complaints other than the volume being a little screwy in a call and the LED not lighting during charging, but nothing major, really. The last nightly should have wifi tethering back, as well, so if that's important to you, you should flash that. Make a Nandroid of CleanGB (provided you're on the MTD version?) and you can always restore it when you need 4G or whatever.

ArcherBrianJames

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
You guys have been very helpful, thanks! One last question before I flash that I can't seem up dig up an answer to. Is it based in 2.3.* GB? I'm not the most knowledgable with roms but have heard you can't go back in time to a 2.2.* rom. Truth/False

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You guys have been very helpful, thanks! One last question before I flash that I can't seem up dig up an answer to. Is it based in 2.3.* GB? I'm not the most knowledgable with roms but have heard you can't go back in time to a 2.2.* rom. Truth/False

It's 2.3.7, which I believe is the highest 2.3 revision available from Google. You can go back to 2.2, but you have to use Odin, and it's not so much the OS version (have to ODIN to go back to 2.3 official rom too), it's that the newer roms change the file system from BML to MTD (think of it like renovating an old house, to make more efficient use of the floor space available. Theres a lot more technical aspects of it, but you can't fit the old kitchen cabinets in the new kitchen, which is now where the master bathroom used to be. :p

Reactions: ArcherBrianJames

captainkirk00

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Agreed, there are usually other things at play that cause issues for users. I really do think that word "fragmentation" is used too often and usually incorrectly. I actually got the chance to write an article for a blog recently and think some things that I said might be appropriate here...

Android and the F word

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty