Loose power button?

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I just received a replacement refurbished Epic from Sprint's insurance program yesterday. I set up the phone to my liking (rooted, ROM'ed, restored apps, etc.) and now I noticed that the power button is loose. It still works, but I can tell it's recessed and a bit harder to push than my other phone when the cover it on it. I can actually move the button around and it feels like it's going to pop off any moment.

Is this fixable? Can I take it to a Sprint store and have them try to repair it? If I can, should I un-ROM my phone first? It's pretty obvious that its been modified by just one look (loading screen is different, it has a percentage battery and gingerbread green signal bars). I don't want to get in trouble. Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is mostlikely fixable... I would definately return to stock OS/unrooted.. Some techs don't care but it is policy they don't have to warranty or perform any work on a rooted device.

If you feel a little tech savy you can pull the backing off yourself and see if the button just needs to be played with a bit.. If I remember its 5 or 6 small philips screws and then pop the casing apart, it will make a little popping at first like its going to break but its pretty durable.. I had mine apart many times...

As far as the button goes its just a loose rubber button layover over a raised contact point. Could be that the contact point was push a little too hard and actually bent out of place a but on the motherboard.

Regardless its an easy fix or worst case they will order another refurb.