What's next for Epic users, and when?

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm going to be a guinea pig and preorder the Q. I have a spare line that is up in a year so worst case is I go back to the Epic, make a few hundred on the Q and wait it out another year. Heck, it'll fund the Surface purchase :)

I also told my care rep that two weeks isn't going to fly. You've gone to an embedded battery and there is no way of me knowing how it's going to last in real world use in just two weeks. Too many different work scenarios to tackle. She said they would try to work with me, so I might not be on the hook with it for two years if it doesn't work out.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

"Will try" and "guaranteed" are two different things. Have fun with that non-removable battery, sub-par screen, and slow updates.

All for a keyboard...

Sent from my AOSP Android 4.1.1 Galaxy Nexus

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
"Will try" and "guaranteed" are two different things. Have fun with that non-removable battery, sub-par screen, and slow updates.

All for a keyboard...

We pay them $30k plus a year. They'll do more than try. And sorry, but some of us actually work from our phones. I'm more productive for work oriented activities on the Epic than anyone on a GS3. I'll take that challenge any day of the week, creating and editing various Office docs, extensive emails, even some games . Funny, such animosity. I'm not the biggest fan of the Q, but it costs me nothing to get it. Enjoy your toy slate and losing half your screen to type anything.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
We pay them $30k plus a year. They'll do more than try. And sorry, but some of us actually work from our phones. I'm more productive for work oriented activities on the Epic than anyone on a GS3. I'll take that challenge any day of the week, creating and editing various Office docs, extensive emails, even some games . Funny, such animosity. I'm not the biggest fan of the Q, but it costs me nothing to get it. Enjoy your toy slate and losing half your screen to type anything.

My toy slate? Superior hardware and software hardly merits the term "toy".

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
It was a joke howdy. You're getting all worked up over a phone and people's preferences for what works for them. Have a beer and relax. The bottom line is people have preferences for what works for them. For some, it doesn't matter how big the screen is, how fast the processor is and how much ram it has. If it doesn't have a keyboard sliding out from the bottom it's not very useful to them. I've tried slates repeatedly. Owned a Hero, Evo and Epic Touch. Still own the og photon. I type just fine on it, but I hate it with a passion (the on screen typing). I've used swiftkey and swype. They're fine for what they are, but they just don't work for me when I need to do work and can manipulate the hard keyboard much better.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It was a joke howdy. You're getting all worked up over a phone and people's preferences for what works for them. Have a beer and relax. The bottom line is people have preferences for what works for them. For some, it doesn't matter how big the screen is, how fast the processor is and how much ram it has. If it doesn't have a keyboard sliding out from the bottom it's not very useful to them. I've tried slates repeatedly. Owned a Hero, Evo and Epic Touch. Still own the og photon. I type just fine on it, but I hate it with a passion (the on screen typing). I've used swiftkey and swype. They're fine for what they are, but they just don't work for me when I need to do work and can manipulate the hard keyboard much better.

Failed attempt to troll me. No one ever got worked up about anything. No one but you, anyway. Read through again if you need to refresh.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's the Droid 4 in Sprint clothing, now, what features and functions that it has on Verizon has Sprint ordered Sammy to neuter?

Not to nit-pick, but I don't think Sammy has ANY say in neutering the Photon Q... Ya know, since it's made by Motorola...
Also, Sprint tends to leave more things alone than Verizon does...

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I think the Q is a bit neutered and hampered. Hampered by the qHD screen and neutered by the sub 2000mAh embedded battery and embedded SIM card for overseas use, locking travelers into Sprint's exorbitant roaming rates if they want to use their phone while abroad. I returned mine in a week. Mostly because I work in signal challenged areas where the wifi doesn't seem to like android email access, and my battery dies a quick death in about 4 hours. So no removable battery, no sale. Unfortunately I came into possession of a gs3 and lack of keyboard aside, it's pretty sweet. I truly hate typing on it even if I can do it rather well despite Swiftkey screwing me up left and right. It's like the lesser of evils for keyboards. So the speed, smoothness and screen are making it hard to go back to my Epic, though I might throw CM10 on it and see how it does, and then switch back.

I wish the Q had an HD screen and removable battery. Would've been damn near perfect. I probably would've gotten used to the oddly placed alt keys and the excessive key travel (to me anyway). Maybe I'm just really comfortable on the Epic. I can bang out a couple paragraphs without looking at the keys once I get started with no more than two mistakes. First phone I've had for more than a year+. My i500 was the last one I clinged to until Sprint screwed it with text messaging and made it unusable.

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Not to nit-pick, but I don't think Sammy has ANY say in neutering the Photon Q... Ya know, since it's made by Motorola...
Also, Sprint tends to leave more things alone than Verizon does...

Samsung on the brain... :p Sprint had Samsung disable or remove video out functions on the Epic. There have been projects to get it working but just as they get something almost going they give up. WTH is up with that? Finish the job.

The phone manufacturers need to design a phone and tell the service providers "This is the phone. We'll put your logo on it and change the colors but that's all. We will NOT remove any feature we put so much time, effort and money into designing just because you want to jerk around your American customers while Europeans and Asians get to have all the goodies."

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Tough to pick on the Epic at this point considering it's over two years old.

And the Samsung has done just as you suggested with the GS3, Note and Note 2. One can only hope a GS3 Mini and a GS3 Slider will round out the family and give their users the ultimate choice and a big FU to the other MFG's and Carriers. And then they can do the same for their value line or the Ace line as they call it.

Of course you do have the modified MHL adapter which should actually be the new standard as it has the pins to be powered from the phone and not require a separate charging adapter. Kinda nice, but seemingly shady by them since customers didn't know they had to buy yet another proprietary adapter to get MHL to work. Reality though, everyone should adopt that connector as standard because requiring a separate charging cable is unneeded in many cases. Maybe they'll make it free to use like they did their new file system (provide it is actually any good).

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Samsung on the brain... :p Sprint had Samsung disable or remove video out functions on the Epic. There have been projects to get it working but just as they get something almost going they give up. WTH is up with that? Finish the job.

The phone manufacturers need to design a phone and tell the service providers "This is the phone. We'll put your logo on it and change the colors but that's all. We will NOT remove any feature we put so much time, effort and money into designing just because you want to jerk around your American customers while Europeans and Asians get to have all the goodies."

It's all good. I'm half wondering if the video out in the origional software even worked. There is so many problems getting it working, that I'm led to believe that it is a hardware limitation that prevented Sprint/Samsung from keeping it there. If it was just turned off in software, the devs would probably have figured it out by now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc